Surprising Results with Essential Oils! Give it a Go!

T

TheSaltyOne

This is such great information and thank you for posting. There are so many natural therapies that I wish the medical community would study and endorse but unfortunately there is no money in it. I usually am hospitalized twice a year. I started taking a specific brand of Turmeric that I heard was the best and I have gone one year and one month without hospitalization. And I can breath easier with less tightness. I have read about Turmeric being good for anti inflammatory ad specifically for CF and now I am t true believer!

I have also heard good things bout Turmeric, specifically because of the ingredient "curcumin" in turmeric is suppose to be great for CF. Once I had a friend tell me they heard CF could be cured or controlled through curcumin treatment in India, and I have no clue about that but do believe that anything is possible and have read Curcumin studies on CF. I have tried taking both Curcumin and Turmeric but I do not think they were high quality products since they were just from a local health food store. shellbell what brand do you use? Also, how much do you take? Do you mind telling us your regimen so that we could see if we get the same results?
Anything to keep us out of the hospital and healthy helps! Ive heard good things about curcumin in Turmeric also, but hard to find a good pure quality product of it. I have also seen "curcumin essential oils". I plan on ordering some on my next batch of oils I order to see if it helps and has the same effects. Thanks for your posts!!!

laneyb

Feeling better

Awesome. I have tried cinnamon before but only topically. I did not have it when I bought my diffuser. Your diffuser sounds identical to mine so ya I'd say it should work just fine. As far as feeling anything... i dont know. I was having fevers, chills, and my oxygen SAT was low (around 89% on 2 Liters of oxygen) for about 3 or 4 days before I started using the diffuser. I was just about to go to the hospital when I decided to give the diffuser a couple days to see if it changed anything and by day 3 I felt pretty darn good and didn't need oxygen anymore. Also, please note I did not have any sputum cultures done to show that the pseudo was gone, I simply had read that these oils killed pseudo and staph so when I was having an exacerbation I gave the diffuser a shot and felt tons better in a few days of diffusing. I have been to the clinic since and did cultures but have not heard back the results yet but they did not call to put me on antibiotics or anything so I guess thats a good sign. But my weight was up and my PFT fev1 stats were improved (not dramatically) so that was a good sign.
Another good sign is that my ENT doc said my sinuses were the best he has seen since he began seeing me quite a few years ago. I did not tell him about the oils, just smiled and said it was good to hear. (I have CF chronic sinusitis of course along with my CF and have had quite a few sinus cleanouts/surgeries due to it)

ALSO ​IF ANYONE ELSE TRIES THE ESSENTIAL OILS TREATMENTS PLEASE POST ON THIS THREAD WHAT YOUR RESULTS ARE AND WHAT ESSENTIAL OILS YOU USED SO THAT WE CAN HAVE MORE SUPPORT AND SPREAD THE WORD OF WHAT IS HELPING US.

I have been doing pretty good but feel like I have had a slight increase in my cough for a while. I am very thankful though as I haven't been sick for a long time even with putting my body through a lot over the last year! We have been doing IVF and started last year and just November past was out last attempt. I had an early miscarriage and it took it out of me! I was so tired after and it took me a while to feel back to myself. I got pregnant and had an increase in cough as I think most CF pregnant women do and I feel it lasted after the miscarriage. I put my health down to our move from Ireland to France. When we lived in Ireland I did IVs every 2nd year and now we are into our 4th year in France and I haven't done IVs in 4 years. My PFT's were slightly down at my last visit but i'm feeling good. As we want to try for baby again soon my CF doctor wants me to do a round of IVs as she feels it will build me up for pregnancy. If we weren't trying I don't think i'd do the IVs but because we are trying and I hope they do build me up i'll do them. I have only ever done IVs when I am sick so it's a bit strange for me to do them feeling good. I have been doing the oils now 3 nights and think I may notice a little difference and feel good but we'll see. I hope to have my sputum checked and be told it is pseudo free some time soon! I have appointment this week and i'll let my doctor know when I can do the IVs. I feel the oils are going to be a long term thing for sure and that it will improve my cultures which would be amazing then who knows I can possibly go for years and years without needing IVs.
This information is all so good to read and great for you and others to share things that have helped you. Keep well and keep us posted on how the oils are keeping you well. I will keep you posted too on how I get on and cultures and fingers crossed for improvement.

T

TheSaltyOne

I have been doing pretty good but feel like I have had a slight increase in my cough for a while. I am very thankful though as I haven't been sick for a long time even with putting my body through a lot over the last year! We have been doing IVF and started last year and just November past was out last attempt. I had an early miscarriage and it took it out of me! I was so tired after and it took me a while to feel back to myself. I got pregnant and had an increase in cough as I think most CF pregnant women do and I feel it lasted after the miscarriage. I put my health down to our move from Ireland to France. When we lived in Ireland I did IVs every 2nd year and now we are into our 4th year in France and I haven't done IVs in 4 years. My PFT's were slightly down at my last visit but i'm feeling good. As we want to try for baby again soon my CF doctor wants me to do a round of IVs as she feels it will build me up for pregnancy. If we weren't trying I don't think i'd do the IVs but because we are trying and I hope they do build me up i'll do them. I have only ever done IVs when I am sick so it's a bit strange for me to do them feeling good. I have been doing the oils now 3 nights and think I may notice a little difference and feel good but we'll see. I hope to have my sputum checked and be told it is pseudo free some time soon! I have appointment this week and i'll let my doctor know when I can do the IVs. I feel the oils are going to be a long term thing for sure and that it will improve my cultures which would be amazing then who knows I can possibly go for years and years without needing IVs.
This information is all so good to read and great for you and others to share things that have helped you. Keep well and keep us posted on how the oils are keeping you well. I will keep you posted too on how I get on and cultures and fingers crossed for improvement.

I see, well good luck on your pregnancy. My hospital does the same as they encourage patients that are doing well and not getting sick all year to be admitted once or twice a year for a "tune up" where they just do the usual 10-14 day IV course. I would love if they offered me that cause that would me I had stayed out all year, although I would most likely turn it down cause I don't want to suppress my immune system or increase resistance any more than I have too.
You might try rubbing the oils on your feet morning and night as well (i rub 2 drops of each oil). I would imagine it could be hard to notice any major change for you since you have been doing well for the most part. It was easy for me to see a change cause I have started using the oils every time I have an exacerbation. I tried taking a week off this past week and of course now I am sick, so I started using the oils again yesterday and hopefully I won't end up having to be admitted. Good luck and keep us updated on your sputum results.

Helicopter Mom

Thanks, again, all of you who have posted on this thread re: essential oils. I have ordered the diffuser recommended by TheSaltyOne, as well as a few oils specifically recommended for pulmonary / respiratory function. My son is just starting to come down with a dreadful cough (again - surprise, surprise) so this will be a great test. I'll keep you all posted :)

Epona

Hello all. I am going to write a more detailed post on my website soon, but I have been getting great results from nebulizing several oils over the last seven weeks. Just for context, I have a very heavy MRSA burden that responds to very little except vanco. I get chronic fevers and tons of mucus/coughing any time I'm not on antibiotics (except for now that I'm using essential oils). So this discovery of mine has been pretty miraculous, I must say.

I nebulized eucalyptus radiata essential oil (organic from Aura Cacia) for 5 weeks and it resulted in a 8% jump in my FEV1. I nebulized 2 drops of euca oil in 2 mL of saline twice a day. My spasmy morning cough disappeared, my night fevers disappeared, my mucus is significantly decreased, coughing is easier, energy is much better, lungs are less inflamed and irritated, less tickling, able to breath in deeply now, I can no longer hear crackling on my breath.

I took a break from eucalyptus to experiment with other oils. I tried pine oil (coughing and mucus increased but did not return to "normal") for a week but I declined so I went back to euca. I tried cinnamon leaf oil a few times but it's too irritating and hurts my throat a lot. Cinnamon leaf may have even made me short of breath and a little more irritated.

After a week and a half of these non-eucalyptus experiments I went back to nebulizing eucalyptus. For the last week I have been using a combo of one drop euca, one drop tea tree oil, one drop lemongrass. I got my FEV1 done again today (2.5 weeks later) and it is down 2% from last time. But I am not disappointed because I had taken a break from the euca which made me feel worse, and it took a good amount of time (about 4 weeks) for the euca to really make me feel great. But my lungs are clear and open and even more mucus-free than 3 weeks ago. So I feel I am on the right track. By the way, tea tree and euca are pretty chill compared to lemongrass which is pretty irritating but not as bad as cinnamon. I am still using lemongrass because I feel it is the strongest antibacterial oil of the 3.

I will continue experimenting with different oils to see which are most effective. I have been doing a lot of research, reading a lot of clinical data, and consulting with many herbalists and aromatherapists on this issue. As I said, I have much more info to share, but I will save that for my blog post. It will include references to the scientific research that I have come across (which is the basis for why I have chosen the oils I have). I will post a link when the article is finished.

JennyCoulon

I am really wondering which oil(s) I should get for both of my boys. I haven't heard anyone type out which specific ones for respitory as well as how often to difuse them and for how long. I have the Thieves that I have rubbed on their feet a couple times but I haven't seen any results. I am in need of help with this. Thanks

T

TheSaltyOne

Epona great post!!! Thank you for sharing and please keep us all posted. I will probably look into and try nebulizing Eucalyptus soon. Hopefully my results will be similar.

JennyCoulon read my first post on this thread and I list the specific oils I use and why as well as how often I diffuse each day.

Helicopter Mom

Epona,
THANK YOU so much for this great information. I just started my son on essential oils 3 days ago (diffusing and topical). We have used mostly eucalyptus and melaluca, as well as a couple of proprietary blends. I have been trying to find some information on whether or not it's safe to nebulize the oils, and if so, which ones. Your post is a God send! Can you tell me: When you say you drop the oils into 2 ml of saline, is that the 7% hyper-tonic saline you're referring to? (the little vials that you dump into the nebulizer)?

I am sooooo happy to read this - and can't wait to have my son give it a try.

Epona

Glad my post is of help! To HelicopterMom - I originally used hypertonic saline which was great for really inducing a nice productive cough when using eucalyptus together with it. But then I realized that I had a box of unused normal saline syringes (left over from my home-IVs in December) and I've been using normal saline for the last month instead of hypersal. Both are fine, but I'm happy with the normal saline right now because it makes things less intense.

To Jenny and the SaltyOne - I chose my oils specifically because they are helpful to the respiratory tract and are antimicrobial. Tea tree oil and eucalyptus are moderately antibacterial, but both are bronchodilating and soothing to the respiratory tract. They open me up and calm down any spasms I might have (and prevent any from developing). Lemongrass is one of the strongest against MRSA (my main bug) that I could find in the scientific literature, and it is pretty irritating but less so than other oils that are also strong against MRSA (cinnamon, thyme, etc.). In the last week of using lemongrass (in conjunction with TTO and euca) I have significantly less mucus, even when waking up. My cough is much reduced. It's really miraculous! I really do think that of the 3, the lemongrass in the most bactericidal. But the other two are important for the reasons I mentioned. Combos are good, and oils usually work synergistically against bacteria, making them more effective. That's what the studies have pointed out, at least, and I can feel it.

T

TheSaltyOne

BE AWARE: So a few of us have shared our experiences with essential oils, others have asked questions, and overall this post has gotten a lot of views. All of it is very helpful and nice to see people working together. BUT please understand WE are talking about the OILS and how they are helping us and WE are or have loved ones with a LIFE THREATENING disease. So it really irritates me and i'm sure a lot of people when people just use our disease as an excuse to make money. Let me tell you about the email I have just received and how it is important to this thread on essential oils....

BACKGROUND:
I posted on this forum my experience to help others and let them know what has benefitted me, in hopes that it will benefit you all too. I also posted pretty much my EXACT post on another site that I found was helpful when I was researching info and testimonials on all these oils. The site is "oil-testimonials.com", and basically a bunch of testimonials from people who have used essential oils and how they have helped them. Well I wanted to share as well since the posts on the site gave me more confidence in trying out essential oils. I ironically saw that in order to post you had to "register", no different than this forum, so I had and at the bottom of the registration it asks if I want to be a distributor for YOUNG LIVING. The site does not advertise Young Living essential oils company at all anywhere on their page except mentioning it in their "FAQ" tab. I found this interesting and kinda sneaky on behalf of Young Living. So what am I getting at?

THE EMAIL:
Well if you do your research on essential oils you will see a lot of "distributors" for Young Living, Do-Terra, and others that are throwing out their sales pitches and trying to persuade people to join their sales community or buy oils from them. This is extremely annoying, I don't want to get something sold to me because you can hype up your product, I want a product that will help me with my health and is 100% quality! So after I registered and posted my experience it said I had to wait and they would review my submittance and post it when it's approved. Again annoying... why do you have to review my post about how I have benefitted my health.. but I thought well maybe other people have spammed or put cuss words everywhere or something, so I just accepted it and waited. I now have received my email that my post has been reviewed and accepted and that I can see it on their site. So of course I go to their site to see what it looks like and how many views it was getting, well ironically and disgustingly I notice they ALTERED my post! Now don't get me wrong.. they did not change the major parts and idea and how the oils have benefitted me, but they changed some of my wording as well deleted the bottom paragraph where I say that I have to admit "Young Living" oils have worked for me BUT I find them expensive and I am trying to find a cheaper alternative. I know this is not a big deal but just makes me shake my head. Can't anyone just be truthful???!!!!! I mean REALLY..

WHY I'M SHARING:
I understand that Young Living is a company and therefore do not want any negative feedback publicly known but if anything it almost helped them as I prove I'm not a distributor for them and I list a con of them but a major Pro when I say they worked despite the price. So just be aware that when any of you are out searching for oils if you want to try this alternative "treatment" there will be people that push their company on you just because they want to sell and make a profit and not because they care about your health. But there will also be people who may work for the company and legitimately are just trying to help you with your health as well. The good and evil both exist. Also, not sure if anyone noticed but just after me and one other person were posting back and forth on page 1 or 2 there was a distributor that posted on here about how much they can save you and you should contact them and their oils are "therapeutic grade" blah blah (like a sales pitch) and it was ironically right after my previous post that said young living distributors just seem like they want to sell sell sell, well that post was shortly deleted but that got me fired up to. I can't believe we are out to help ourselves and others with CF treatments and they are trying to make a buck. So please do your research and try to find a company that you can trust for their quality and true motivation to sell you their essential oils. But as I said before this is my experience with Young Living so far but by golly their oils did seem to work for me and yet I'm still searching for a cheaper alternative due to their lack in customer service or care for their customers. ;)

P.S: anyone that reads this, if you are a distributor for YL or anyone else, please don't turn this into an argument and try to defend your company or anything else. Yes the Young Living oils worked for me, no I don't have total respect for them b/c of this, and no I don't wish to discuss with you your defenses for Young Living. I know a distributor for them that does not push sales on people at all as well. I was simply trying to share this experience so people know not to blindly believe and buy things for their health just because of a good sales pitch. Do your research because obviously some companies edit their "testimonials" for their advantage. Now lets keep sharing our experiences and work towards a defined regimen of oils that others can follow if they wish.

2roses

Salty, Thank you so much for sharing the good and the bad here. But more so, thank you for your passion to help the cf community and find alternative treatments to augment traditional medicine. Please keep posting your EO experiences and being 'salt and light.'

Helicopter Mom

I just wanted to give a quick update re: the essential oils we've been using on my son for the past several days. He did try nebulizing eucalyptus, along with hyper-saline, but it was too harsh for him. Made him cough too hard. So - I've just been diffusing a melaluca/eucalyptus blend at night, and rubbing those same oils on his chest and feet, morning and night. Also have him inhale the same oils in a hot, steamy shower. I also have him inhale what is called a 'sinus buster'. He really has trouble with sinus congestion, runny, runny nose, which aggravates the cough, and so on and so on. I'm sure most of you know what I mean. The sinus buster is:
3 drops each of melaluca, peppermint, lemon and oregano (I don't have the oregano so just did without). Place drops in a cup of hot water (not boiling). Wrap your hands around the cup and place your face down into the steam, so that no air can escape. Inhale deeply. Do this 4 or 5 times. REALLY clears him out and opens him up.
Overall, he tells me he feels better - not so much tightness in his chest. He has his formal PFT's coming up in a couple of weeks, so I'm hopeful for some better numbers. Will keep you all posted. Thanks again, all of you who take the time to share :)

T

TheSaltyOne

Good news and disappointing news...
On most testimonials and articles I have read they say since you are kinda treating EO like antibiotics and diffusing them when you feel sick (or at least I am), it can be a good idea to take a break from them every so often. So after 2 weeks of using them I stopped for 5 days and of course my family member got a cold during those 5 days, but I didn't show any signs of it until a week later. Anyway, I went to clinic during the end of those 5 days and they said my sinuses look better than they ever have and they took sputum samples. I have recently got the results back that out of my usual bugs (pseudomonas, MRSA, and Achromobacter) only pseudomonas was present.
I find this pretty exciting that only 1/3 of my bacteria were there and truly believe that the oils took care of the other 2. I'm just disappointed that I didn't plan better and stayed diffusing the Essential Oils until after my clinic. Anyway, that was my update for now.

Tisha

Awesome information!
My experience with oils is that my totally resistant pseudomonas, after doing vapors (plain boiling 1 liter water and adding a few drops of oil, breathing under a towel) with lavender oil, the pseudomonas became sensitive to 2-3 antibiotics. :)
I will try the combination you used.
I have been purchasing from Butterfly Expressions (cheapest at www.butterflyexpress.biz) - they also have Young Living comparable blends.
I will see to get a diffusor too.
Thank you!

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
I have discussed using a medical vaporizer like the digital temperature controlled Vapir No2. Sold as a dry chamber vaporizer, it heats materials from room temperature up to 400°F in one degree increments. Vaporizing essential oils which by definition are VOCs is far preferable to burning essential oils.

Salty, welcome and thanks for the restraint and caution included in your success story. With MDR infections largely untreatable by the best conventional wisdom in medicine, I am open to almost anything. There's a huge grain of salt that goes along with simple cures for any serious medical condition and hucksters abound when we get desperate. I seethe over expensive gold shots, colloidal silver, (why not colloidal copper, it's better and cheap) and anything expensive and with nothing more than testimonials. A friend's family went broke buying into some electronic cure for his MS when I was a kid. It's not legal to shoot this human vermin on sight but it should be. The real harm done by medical chicanery like this is eliminating or delaying proper treatment.

With biofilms, MDR bugs and biofilm producing MDR bugs, the field is wide open to find agents that poison or breakdown biofilms. Alginate type biofilms are true slimes that essential oils might penetrate. CF isn't fodder for Outrageous Acts of Science, a deep breath of cinnamon powder isn't a smart idea. I have done enough damage to myself in the interest of science and medicine and I usually know what I'm doing.

As part of a larger quest, I am testing stuff like essential oils, in the fight against biofilm bugs, Steno and P.a. and such because of so many requests. Soon, CF will be stopped with genetic drugs and then we will be left with incurable infections.

LL

shellbell

Message to Salty One Re Turmeric

I have also heard good things bout Turmeric, specifically because of the ingredient "curcumin" in turmeric is suppose to be great for CF. Once I had a friend tell me they heard CF could be cured or controlled through curcumin treatment in India, and I have no clue about that but do believe that anything is possible and have read Curcumin studies on CF. I have tried taking both Curcumin and Turmeric but I do not think they were high quality products since they were just from a local health food store. shellbell what brand do you use? Also, how much do you take? Do you mind telling us your regimen so that we could see if we get the same results?
Anything to keep us out of the hospital and healthy helps! Ive heard good things about curcumin in Turmeric also, but hard to find a good pure quality product of it. I have also seen "curcumin essential oils". I plan on ordering some on my next batch of oils I order to see if it helps and has the same effects. Thanks for your posts!!!

I take a brand called Ocean Avenue. I became familiar with them through skin care because I am a skin care formulator. I formulate skin care for this company but they happen to have a brilliant scientist on staff who works for University of British Columbia. He studies biofilms, cell vaibility, cell penetration etc so he has studies on the internal supplements they sell. I have seen all the studies on their Wav Empower which is the Turmeric and it showed the reason the extraction of their circuminoid and the processing makes it available to cells. I started 2 pills twice a day back in July 2-13. I did not need a tune up until two weeks ago and then it was more to be proactive. My whole family takes this because it is such a great anti inflammatory as well. Studies on it for Alzheimer, Cancer etc. I order through a gal in Missouri and I am happy to give you her info if you want or if you call the company they will help you I am sure. I know there are many brands of this product but the two I have found to be most effective in their science to support their claims is either Ocean Avenue or Andrew Lessman's. I do not sell for either company. Just my opinion and I do hope it helps:)

Helicopter Mom

Epona,
THANK YOU so much for taking the time to research, experiment and then report with such clear, concise language. I am so thankful, and so hopeful. One quick question for you, (or for anyone else who might know). You mentioned that you don't use the hypersaline, but rather regular saline, that you had left over in some syringes. Where does one buy regular saline? is it something that can be purchased over the counter at any pharmacy? I don't recall ever seeing it, but have not really been looking for it.

I had my son try nebulizing eucalyptus with hypersaline, but it seemed to be too harsh for him. Back to the drawing board, maybe with one of the blended oils.

Anyway - THANK YOU again!

Epona

In terms of saline syringes, I'm pretty sure it's by rx only. Actually, my box says so. But next time you're at the pharmacy, ask the pharmacist how to get ahold of normal saline. It doesn't make sense that it would be by rx (salt water is probably the most harmless thing I think of), but things are not always logical. If your doc is open minded you could try to convince her to write you a rx.

In terms of the eucalyptus, yes it can be irritating at first, but after a few days the body gets used to it and doesn't have the same reaction. If you wanted to start by steaming euca for the first few days and then try it in the nebulizer again later (diluted in a lot of hypersal/saline, like 1 drop euca to 4 mL hypersal) that might help. Or you can mix it with more mild oils. I was mixing the more irritating oils (lemongrass) with pine and it seems to make it more tolerable. Something like lavender is probably very gentle (though I haven't used it so I can't say for sure).

Helicopter Mom

Epona,
Thanks again. I appreciate your response. Sorry to appear so dense, but I looked online for saline and found several different items (of course). Would something like this be what I'm after:
Product Description :
Saline,Package Type Bottle,Size 500mL,Formula 0.9 Percent Saline Solution

Thanks!