Swelling around port

jshet

My son had infusion therapy on Thursday and Friday of last week. He has received this medicine before. On Saturday we noticed some swelling around his port. No pain, redness, warmth, or fever, just swelling. I have kept n touch with his peds office Saturday night until today, and they don't feel it's an infection but I am to call again in the morning if there is still swelling. Wondering if anyone have any ideas to what this could be, or if anyone has had any similar experiences. The medication infused was Pramidronate. Thanks everyone.

W

windex125

I hv my port for more than 10yrs now and never experienced swelling, is it sore to the touch? You cld try a ice pack for a short period of time wrapped in a wash cloth so it's not in direct contact with the port. Is his needle still in place? sometimes the small movement when D/C cld cause a reaction. I wld definelty try to get a answer from the doctor as well. Pat

J

Jeana_Lynn

The one time I had swelling my needle had become dislodged from rolling on my line in bed and then using my vest. But I did have stinging and burning when they pushed saline.

jshet

Thank you both for responding. He is having a chest x ray tomorrow to make sure it is still in place. The thought is that when they de accessed him, he bled internally causing a hematoma. He has a bleeding disorder, and had a significent gi bleed a couple years sgo loosing over 40% of his blood supply.
i am so mad. He has had swelling for about 6 days now and no one ever mentioned the possibility of a bleed. I never thought of that. Thry were saying since it didnt seem to be infected, thry had no idea what was causing it. It wasnt until today when a nurse said, &unless he has a hematoma, but he isnt a bleeder". Im like, yes he is, he has a bleeding disorder. Now she is the infusion nurse, and she says " i didnt know that". Really, how do you not know that. I have talked to 5 different professionals since saturday, and noone ever metioned a bleed.
he has always had low blood pressure, but during his 2 days of infusions, it got quite low. The lowest reading was 80/39! I asked more than once sbout the low pressures he was having. All thst was said was yes they are low, you need to let his peditrician know. Low blood pressure is seen during bleeds.
im mad at them, and myself for not catching it earlier. i will know more tomorrow, hopefully.it is still swollen but not as bad as it was. Seems like its never simple.

jshet

The port is still in place with no kinks. We have to go back to surgery and have them handle things. His enocrinologist (who oversees his infusions), refuses to let blood or infusions happen until the port has a dye test. his concern is there could be a small crack and caused leaking of medication. If the dye test is fine, then it is most likely he had a bleed and that will need to be addressed through his hemotologist.
Thank you both again for replying. Mit means a lot.