Swine Flu vaccine becoming available

dasjsmum

Hi

Just heard a news report that a h1N1 vaccine may be available here on the 7th September.

Now that I've read and heard more about the side effects of a previous H1N1 vaccine and the tamiflu, I'm not sure if I would encourage my kids to have it.

Obviously my adult children will make up their own minds about it, but my S (13) told me that if he got sick with h1N1 he didnt want the tamiflu because he heard some news reports about the side effects of it.

Do you thiink you will utilise the vaccine? It will probably be available for you in the Northern Hemisphere before winter by the looks of things.

I was reading another posy regarding gillian barre syndrome, and apparently the previously vaccine caused 500 people to die or contract GB.

I also have concerns regarding how quickly the vaccine has become available...what are your thoughts? I know I've been advocating the vaccine, but now I'm concerned regarding the above points.

Also, the flu did not appear to be too serious here (now we can look back on the season). Although, there are concerns the disease might mutate to a more serious type...

dasjsmum

Hi

Just heard a news report that a h1N1 vaccine may be available here on the 7th September.

Now that I've read and heard more about the side effects of a previous H1N1 vaccine and the tamiflu, I'm not sure if I would encourage my kids to have it.

Obviously my adult children will make up their own minds about it, but my S (13) told me that if he got sick with h1N1 he didnt want the tamiflu because he heard some news reports about the side effects of it.

Do you thiink you will utilise the vaccine? It will probably be available for you in the Northern Hemisphere before winter by the looks of things.

I was reading another posy regarding gillian barre syndrome, and apparently the previously vaccine caused 500 people to die or contract GB.

I also have concerns regarding how quickly the vaccine has become available...what are your thoughts? I know I've been advocating the vaccine, but now I'm concerned regarding the above points.

Also, the flu did not appear to be too serious here (now we can look back on the season). Although, there are concerns the disease might mutate to a more serious type...

dasjsmum

Hi

dasjsmum

Hi

dasjsmum

Hi
<br />
<br />Just heard a news report that a h1N1 vaccine may be available here on the 7th September.
<br />
<br />Now that I've read and heard more about the side effects of a previous H1N1 vaccine and the tamiflu, I'm not sure if I would encourage my kids to have it.
<br />
<br />Obviously my adult children will make up their own minds about it, but my S (13) told me that if he got sick with h1N1 he didnt want the tamiflu because he heard some news reports about the side effects of it.
<br />
<br />Do you thiink you will utilise the vaccine? It will probably be available for you in the Northern Hemisphere before winter by the looks of things.
<br />
<br />I was reading another posy regarding gillian barre syndrome, and apparently the previously vaccine caused 500 people to die or contract GB.
<br />
<br />I also have concerns regarding how quickly the vaccine has become available...what are your thoughts? I know I've been advocating the vaccine, but now I'm concerned regarding the above points.
<br />
<br />Also, the flu did not appear to be too serious here (now we can look back on the season). Although, there are concerns the disease might mutate to a more serious type...

M

MCGrad2006

I am unsure what I will do. I am in MA and (as of right now) am a substitute teacher (hopefully by the start of school, Sept 2 I will have a job...). I know that my doctors will recommend it because I get the other flu shot. I feel like a lot of the time, the side effects can happen to one or two people so the chances are very slim. As a teacher with CF I will probably get the vaccine...since I will be in different schools on different days and so forth.

I had something similar to the swine flu this summer. Since the weather around here was so terrible for the beginning of the summer, the germs didnt get a chance to 'go away' so things got spread easier and stayed around longer. The thing I am worried about is that my form was very mild (as they are saying swine flu was this past season), but supposedly it will like you say mutate and get worse. That is what concerns me.

I am still up in the air though...I suppose I will get advice from my doctors.

Oh and as far as what your son says about Tamiflu...I had ZERO side effects...less even than the oral abx they prescribed me after the tamiflu.

I am eager to see what others have to say about this though, it will be an interesting topic.

M

MCGrad2006

I am unsure what I will do. I am in MA and (as of right now) am a substitute teacher (hopefully by the start of school, Sept 2 I will have a job...). I know that my doctors will recommend it because I get the other flu shot. I feel like a lot of the time, the side effects can happen to one or two people so the chances are very slim. As a teacher with CF I will probably get the vaccine...since I will be in different schools on different days and so forth.

I had something similar to the swine flu this summer. Since the weather around here was so terrible for the beginning of the summer, the germs didnt get a chance to 'go away' so things got spread easier and stayed around longer. The thing I am worried about is that my form was very mild (as they are saying swine flu was this past season), but supposedly it will like you say mutate and get worse. That is what concerns me.

Oh and as far as what your son says about Tamiflu...I had ZERO side effects...less even than the oral abx they prescribed me after the tamiflu.

I am eager to see what others have to say about this though, it will be an interesting topic.

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

<br />
<br />I had something similar to the swine flu this summer. Since the weather around here was so terrible for the beginning of the summer, the germs didnt get a chance to 'go away' so things got spread easier and stayed around longer. The thing I am worried about is that my form was very mild (as they are saying swine flu was this past season), but supposedly it will like you say mutate and get worse. That is what concerns me.
<br />
<br />I am still up in the air though...I suppose I will get advice from my doctors.
<br />
<br />Oh and as far as what your son says about Tamiflu...I had ZERO side effects...less even than the oral abx they prescribed me after the tamiflu.
<br />
<br />I am eager to see what others have to say about this though, it will be an interesting topic.

jbrandonAW

NO! Not for me or any of my family (and I am praying to GOD that my husband (army) doesn't "have" to get it!). I will NOT be the governments guinea pig. To me its crazy how a few deaths from the swine flu warrant a vaccine -yet a few MORE death from vaccines warrants nothing...just ironic I guess.

That being said I have already had said "swine flu"...I spent 2 days in bed with a fever of 103. I was put on cipro "just in case" and I was fine minus a few aches and runny nose after my fever broke.

36,000 people a year in the US die from the regular flu...1200 WORLD WIDE is the least of my worries...

jbrandonAW

NO! Not for me or any of my family (and I am praying to GOD that my husband (army) doesn't "have" to get it!). I will NOT be the governments guinea pig. To me its crazy how a few deaths from the swine flu warrant a vaccine -yet a few MORE death from vaccines warrants nothing...just ironic I guess.

That being said I have already had said "swine flu"...I spent 2 days in bed with a fever of 103. I was put on cipro "just in case" and I was fine minus a few aches and runny nose after my fever broke.

36,000 people a year in the US die from the regular flu...1200 WORLD WIDE is the least of my worries...

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

<br />
<br />That being said I have already had said "swine flu"...I spent 2 days in bed with a fever of 103. I was put on cipro "just in case" and I was fine minus a few aches and runny nose after my fever broke.
<br />
<br />36,000 people a year in the US die from the regular flu...1200 WORLD WIDE is the least of my worries...

ctalbott0609

I just had this conversation with both the Ped. & the CF Dr. and they both said it would be insanity to not get both. If Paige, or even Matthew were to contract it, it's completely life threatening since they're both so young. I'm against doing the swine flu vaccine in the kids, and even though they say I should, I'm not going to. The risks for them are far to great. My husband and I will probably get it though. And we all, for sure, will get the regular flu shot.

ctalbott0609

I just had this conversation with both the Ped. & the CF Dr. and they both said it would be insanity to not get both. If Paige, or even Matthew were to contract it, it's completely life threatening since they're both so young. I'm against doing the swine flu vaccine in the kids, and even though they say I should, I'm not going to. The risks for them are far to great. My husband and I will probably get it though. And we all, for sure, will get the regular flu shot.

ctalbott0609

ctalbott0609

ctalbott0609