Take a break from enzymes?

Michael Klein

Will I notice any immediate changes or would they be more gradual if I don't take as many enzymes as I should or stop taking them for awhile? I'm only mildly PI, take 8-10 5,000 lipase unites/pill for each meal and 3-4 pills for each snack that has protein or fat. Any thoughts? I know it depends on a lot of stuff...so it might not be that fair of a question...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS is PI so I'll notice looser, greasier stools if he's had something higher in fat or misses a dose. He doesn't get pain or discomfort. With his history of obstructions, long term skipping enzymes can cause serious issues.

Beth F.

First, please do not stop taking your enzymes without consulting your doctor first. I do not take as many enzymes as you do, and depending on what I eat, if I miss a dose, I will either feel the effects right away or usually within 24 hours. You will definitely notice a difference in your stools, and you may have pain. When I eat a high in protein and/or fatty meal and miss a dose, or don't take enough, I almost always feel some pain or discomfort in my intestines. Sometimes, I can actually feel it as it moves through my system. And long term, it can cause serious issues if you stop taking your enzymes. It's not just about digesting the fat and protein-- it's about absorbing the nutrients, including vitamins. Vitamins A, D, E, and K are all fat soluble.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Another issue with lack of nutrients is the potential to lose weight. Higher BMI helps with lung function.

Printer

If you stop taking your enzymes, you will learn very quickly why they were Rx in the first place. It may be a good "life lesson" for you to stop taking them.

Bill

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Why do you want to stop taking them? Are you experimenting? Think you don't "really" need them? Do you think they are causing problems?

Michael Klein

Thank you all for your input - I'm not really experimenting - NTM infection became active again and my appetite has totally tanked for the past few weeks... I know what it is like to not take enough enzymes with meals with high fat and high protein meals-but since I hadn't been eating anything of that nature I was just thinking I might take it easy on the enzymes rather than deal with extreme constipation... but this is all retrospective now- I got hospitalized for the ntm infection anyways ssssoooo yeah...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Well that makes better sense. DS' enzyme intake has been based on input and output. I usually give him the same number of enzymes since his snacking and meals is usually consistent; however, if he's a little off, then I start with a smaller number of enzymes and give him more during the middle of his meal/snack or right away when he's done.

imported_Momto2

I can understand an adult taking a break from enzymes. I'm DDf508, completely PI since birth, major failure to thrive, severe stomach aches every day, constapation, the works. In my early 20's, my weight went up a bit. Out of curiosity, I stopped taking enzymes completely. I had an ocassional stomach ache after eating certain foods (fats, some dairy, too much wheat) and so I tweaked my diet around Much to my surprise not only did I maintain my weight but actually had to start DIETING to keep from getting too chubby! Now I am in my early 40's and have never looked back. My GI health has been great for over 20 years, no greasy CF poos. My weight is good, a little too high if I dont watch what I eat, and my digestion is awesome, no more constipation or stomach pain. Even better, my vitamin and mineral levels are all in the normal range, with no supplements. The docs retested me, and I'm not putting out any enzymes, my pancreas is pretty kaput. They think I have carefully colonized specific bacterial strains in my gut to digest for me. Its pretty cool.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
That is fascinating. Can I ask a couple of questions? Do you take any probiotics? Have you ever,or do you think it would upset your bacterial balance? Do you never eat high fat foods? If you had a piece of pizza would you experience pain?

amlane86

I can understand an adult taking a break from enzymes. I'm DDf508, completely PI since birth, major failure to thrive, severe stomach aches every day, constapation, the works. In my early 20's, my weight went up a bit. Out of curiosity, I stopped taking enzymes completely. I had an ocassional stomach ache after eating certain foods (fats, some dairy, too much wheat) and so I tweaked my diet around Much to my surprise not only did I maintain my weight but actually had to start DIETING to keep from getting too chubby! Now I am in my early 40's and have never looked back. My GI health has been great for over 20 years, no greasy CF poos. My weight is good, a little too high if I dont watch what I eat, and my digestion is awesome, no more constipation or stomach pain. Even better, my vitamin and mineral levels are all in the normal range, with no supplements. The docs retested me, and I'm not putting out any enzymes, my pancreas is pretty kaput. They think I have carefully colonized specific bacterial strains in my gut to digest for me. Its pretty cool.

Very interesting. What kind of foods are you eating and what are you staying away from? You should create a new diet. Lol!

imported_Momto2

No, I do not take probiotics, but I do eat a lot of fatfree greek yogurt. If I eat high fat foods, I get nauseous, and may throw up the offending food. If I I dont puke up the fat, I'll have diarreah and severe stomach cramping. So, I dont eat fat except very small amts in lean turkey, chicken, and venison. All the dairy I eat is fat-free. Yes, if I had pizza, I would get sick to my stomach and have pain. But if I stick to a fruit, veggie, lowfat meat diet, I am good to go. Its pretty interesting I think, especially given my medical history. When I am REALLY good and pretty much cut out non-vegetable carbos (such as a lot of bread, noodles, etc) I dont even have any gas. But its hard to stay off refined carbos all the time. ;) Its kinda funny. Fat really messes me up, and as a kid w/CF in the 70's, fat was pushed as a food group to get me to gain weight! But I think all it did was make my digestion worse.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
So with such a low fat diet, how are your vitamin levels? Especially the fat soluble ones, A, D, E, and K? Do u take supplements?

That's very interesting, imported_Mom. Just out of curiosity: what do you eat, if you eat no fat? I imagine it quite difficult, to find nice food without fat in it.. And I'm surprised you even have to diet to stop putting on too much weight, without any fat in your diet. Our CF-docs tell us to add oil or butter to EVERYTHING we give our son to eat, to make him gain weight. Your fat-free diet seems the complete opposite. And it obviously works for you! Anyone else who lives fat-free with a healthy weight despite being completely PI like my son?
Thank you for your experience!!

imported_Momto2

My vitamin levels are well within the normal range. The only one I had issue with being a little low was vitamin D. I started using a vitamin D lamp during the winter, getting some sun during the summer, and making sure we vacationed someplace warm during the winter and now I have stabilized my levels in the mid-normal range for the last few years since I started doing this. I had tried taking the ADEK supplements vitamins, but they just werent doing it for me. Eating tons of fruits and veggies, low-fat dairy, lots of really lean meats, almond milk, and going easy on the carbos has really done the trick.

I used to add fat to everything too. It just messed up my system. When I took fat away I digested much better and kept weight on better, in fact, too well.! It IS hard to find nice food without fat. I do a ton of cooking and am very fussy when we go out to eat. Everyone is an individual.