tattoo

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
All Doctor's will say NO based on medical statistics. It's not a good idea because you're risking infection even if you are heathly. Your immune system will be weaker than an average adult making the risk HIGHER and more easily prone to infection.

It's still a personal decision. I'm nearing 5 years post transplant. I got two tattoos in 2009 and I'm still healthy & doing well. I know a few others who have also gotten tattoos after transplant. Again, your life, your decisions. Just my two cents.

tintin666

I have 9 tattoos, one of them is a massive 15 inch inverted cross down the length of me spine and a gargoyle above it on either shoulder and I've never had any problems due to them in any way and me CF is NOT in good condition. Don't honestly know why they say it's a no no to be honest as I've got piercings too which are supposed to be just as bad and again I've had not one problem at all as a result of them.

coltsfan715

Most centers will recommend against them. I have found from experience that if you are really wanting something and ask your team the safest way to go about it they will help you figure it out. I personally don't have a tattoo, but want one in remembrance of my donor assuming I ever get information about them. I have several friends that have gotten tattoos post transplant and none of them have had a problem.

I would ask your transplant center what they would recommend if you wanted to get one. I would say making sure the place is reputable and that they are aware of the need to be extra cautious considering your situation, but again I don't have a tattoo.

Good luck,
Lindsey

Liza

One thing to consider, if your tx center is against new tattos post tx, before deciding to go against the "rules"... the possibility of being turned down for a second tx by your center for non-compliance, in the event you were to ever need a second tx. It is a wonderful thought and a great way to honor your donor but... think ahead. Some centers can be that strict.

M

MeasureInLove

I had my tattoos before I was listed for transplant (before doing all the work ups). I was told once evaluation started, no more.

P

pencf

Our whole family is getting our tattoos on Thursday!!!!!!!!! We are all getting a Just Breathe Tattoo on our rib cage for our daughter, Madeline. She has CF, she is 17, and was told not to! Her clinic is Wed., Tattoo is Thursday, figured I would buy ourselves 3 months till next clinic before I get shit for allowing her to get one. She is stable (knock knock) but last year, this time, we were VERY VERY VERY sick! We have had a full transplant evaluation last month, and "we are too well to be transplanted">>>>to me, that was the GREEN light for Now or never! I am excited. We are not a Tat family, but we all soon will be. Mostly likely it will be the only one we will ever get, but it shows our unity to Madeline and our family fight for her and against CF! Love this forum, you all helped me decide it was ok to let her do it! : )

Printer

In business, before a decision is made, a RISK/BENEFIT analysis is run. The results point out how the scale leans. Which is stronger, RISK or BENEFIT.

Bill

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
If the doctors said "no," it seems doing it is telling your daughter it is okay to disregard their input on medical issues. And disregarding other ones might cause bigger problems. Obviously others disagree, but since their input helped you decide, I want to present a counter opinion for you to consider.

Printer

If I were Madeline's Doctor and I had told her to NOT get a tat. If she showed up in my office with one, I would TELL her to get another Doctor and I would tell you that you are an IDIOT.

Who in hell do you thing that you are fooling. Certainly not her Medical Team. You are fooling with her health. It is time to grow up and be a REAL MOM.

You are one more Mom that I cant SUPPORT.

Aboveallislove:

Do you remember what I said about fools?

Bill

dream2live

I have 2 from over 20 years ago. I plan on getting one to represent 65 roses. If you are on the transplant list, I would not get one. Also, if you have cultured/colonized MRSA, doctors worry about that also.

A

Allansarmy

If I were Madeline's Doctor and I had told her to NOT get a tat. If she showed up in my office with one, I would TELL her to get another Doctor and I would tell you that you are an IDIOT.

Who in hell do you thing that you are fooling. Certainly not her Medical Team. You are fooling with her health. It is time to grow up and be a REAL MOM.

You are one more Mom that I cant SUPPORT.

Aboveallislove:

Do you remember what I said about fools?

Bill

Well thank God you are not her doctor then huh? A doctor that would get rid of their patient because they "got a tattoo" against doctors orders, is not a great doctor in my opinion. I have worked in the health industry for 20 years now as an R.N. People go against doctor's orders ALL THE TIME. Sure you can lecture people not to do things. The doctor needs to write a note in the chart that the patient went against what was advised and leave it at that. Abandoning the patient when they need you is not the answer.

-Mike

N

Natasha Grandall

I just got my first tattoo on October 28th. It says 'Just Breathe', A motto for Cystic Fibrosis:) I told my docotr in advance and he just said it was cool. He didn't say anything bad about it. I think the only way for a tattoo to be infected, as other infections too, it not taking care of it. My fiance has 7, and never once got an infection. If you are thinking about getting one I advise doing research on what tattoo shop to go to. Maybe go to one that a friend has gone to so you know what kind of service to expect. Also, a lot of people use a&d oitement for treatment, I don't! I use Aquaphor. I think its better and a lot cheaper. My fiance and I use it. Just remember to take care of it as the artist is going to tell you and I thiknk you'll be just fine. :) Hope this helps!!!