Tell me about Houston, Texas Clinics

Gnome

We are considering moving to Houston for work for a few years. We are wondering what Houston's hospitals and CF Clinics are like.

We are currently in Calgary, Alberta Canada. We have two kids with CF (age 7 and 4) and so far their health has been excellent. Calgary has a cool dry climate. I was wondering if moving to Houston which is warmer and humider will be harder on their lungs.

robert321

Huston has a clinic that I have heard good things about. Never been there myself but one of the nurse practitioners at my clinic used to work there. Also have heard a couple of cfers speak highly of it. As for climate, if you haven't been there before just imagine that sticky nasty hot humid the bathroom gets when you don't turn the fan on when you take a long hot shower. Its nearly that bad, just hotter. Makes my lungs feel tight but I think its because I'm not used to it.

JENNYC

We have been going there since Abby was 2 and she's now 7. They are like family to us. I have seen almost all the dr's there and they are really great. Not sure about the lung question. To me it is humid here. I always wondered if being by the salty air would help CFer's or not :/ I've lived in Texas my whole life and never have really been out of state but twice. We live 3 hours away and to us it has been worth the drive. When you go to clinic they are always very careful, your children will where mask when they arrive until you are in a room and if your child is culturing something that they could pass on any of the last 3 visits they are classified as "shuttle" and you go to a room immediately, so no children playing on everything in the waiting room. Every room is cleaned thoroughly in between patients and the dr's always sanitize their hands when the enter and leave the room and gown up if necessary as to not spread germs. The nurses are very good with the children and they also have child life specialest that come in with dolls and medical stuff if they feel like your child is scared to show them what is going to happen and let them do what ever procedure is fixing to happen to the doll so that they might be more comfortable. I have only bumped heads with my doc their one time and I can't say it's not partially my fault. I pushed, well rather shoved him into letting my daughter try Kalydeco when she didn't have the proper mutations and ever since then there has been a little tension, especially since last visit that my sweet girl very innocently told the dr that I wanted to rub her test results in his face (I could have died, but I'm guilty, I said it) but we plan on fixing that our next trip up there. I can be very pushy. :) But he has always taken very good care of Abby and is quick to jump on any problem he sees. Abby has had 15 surgeries there and many hospital stays, the surgical routine is very easy on the kids and as easy as possible on the parents who I think are way more traumatized than the kids actually going through it LOL!! The hospital is nice, but with any hospital you have to watch the nurses to make sure everything runs smoothly, which it normally does. All in all I have been very happy with Abby's care at Texas Children's!! And believe you me I would for sure let you know if I thought other wise. People always tell me I'm brutally honest :) If you have any questions that I can help with don't hesitate to ask. Good luck

ellyc23

Houston has wonderful clinics!! My son is a year and we have a CF care team that we absolutely love!! We are at the Clinical Care Center at Texas Children's Hospital and they are amazing! My son has only been hospitalized once, which was for precaution by them just to give him a little boost, and we are still doing great! They are up to date with everything and always call you back immdediately. I am very happy with our team. Hope this helps!!

JENNYC

Oh Hi Elly, I just saw that you go to Houston as well!! Yes they are great aren't they!! Maybe we'll bump into each other sometime now that Abby won't be listed as "shuttle" an put immediately in a room. She has cultured MRSA for years now and thanks to Kaly we had our first normal flora last clinic!!! So excited about that!!! She also cultures H-flu and Strep- pnuemo off and on quite regularly so to have normal flora is like having steak when you are expecting a PB&J sandwich!! ;)