The Cost of Saline

mabusincarnate

it's expensive because the target market is so narrow.

i've considered making it myself.

salt + water + boil = sterile hypertonic saline

you can buy sterile bottles with rubber stoppers. those could be used to make multi-use vials. swab the stopper with alcohol before penetrating it with a needle and it stays sterile.

mabusincarnate

you can buy sterile bottles with rubber stoppers. those could be used to make multi-use vials. swab the stopper with alcohol before penetrating it with a needle and it stays sterile.

mabusincarnate

mabusincarnate

mabusincarnate

<br />
<br />i've considered making it myself.
<br />
<br />salt + water + boil = sterile hypertonic saline
<br />
<br />you can buy sterile bottles with rubber stoppers. those could be used to make multi-use vials. swab the stopper with alcohol before penetrating it with a needle and it stays sterile.

Kristen

I get the Pari stuff from my mail order pharmacy, which is through United Healthcare. My local holistic pharmacy also carries it. And I still have to pay the $30 copay. But before Pari was mixing it, I had to get it mixed by the Holistic pharmacy, and my insurance wouldn't cover it at all and it cost $70, so I'm happy that at least I am now only paying the copay.

Kristen

I get the Pari stuff from my mail order pharmacy, which is through United Healthcare. My local holistic pharmacy also carries it. And I still have to pay the $30 copay. But before Pari was mixing it, I had to get it mixed by the Holistic pharmacy, and my insurance wouldn't cover it at all and it cost $70, so I'm happy that at least I am now only paying the copay.

Kristen

Kristen

Kristen

tara

I too pay for the PARI convenience of the 7% "HyperSal". I get it at my local grocery store pharmacy, along with all of my other meds. It is nice to not have to refrigerate it, but I pay a hefty "brand name" copay every month for it.

But you don't have to pay the PARI price tag! You can make your own at home. I grew up on homemade saline, from boiled tap water *gasp!* And I still only culture 2 strains of PA at 32 years old. Go figure. A very good friend of mine gave me this awesome hypertonic saline recipe.

To make cheap easy hypertonic saline at home follow these instructions:

Ingredients/Supplies
1. Sea Salt (without Iodine)
-you can find this at your grocery store
2. Gallon of Distilled Water
-again, found at the grocery store
3. 1 Liter bottle
-Look at your drugstore. You want one that is thick enough to hold hot water without melting the plastic and a tight seal.
4. Pot or measuring cup to boil the water
5. Measuring spoons (teaspoon) *note 1 gram sea salt is approximately equal to 1 teaspoon sea salt

For 7% saline you add 7 grams of sea salt to 1 Liter of distilled water. (technically you should also add 7 extra teaspoons of water to get exactly 7% solution.) Mix the water and the sea salt. Bring it just to a boil and then let it cool. You can even do this in the microwave for added convenience!

Store the bottle in fridge, tightly sealed

I used to make a new solution every week. It's very cheap and very easy. And if you want a stronger or weaker concentration just change the amount of sea salt. For example, for 3% solution use 3 grams sea salt in 1 liter of water. For 10% solution, use 10 grams sea salt in 1 liter of water.

And there you have it.

tara

I too pay for the PARI convenience of the 7% "HyperSal". I get it at my local grocery store pharmacy, along with all of my other meds. It is nice to not have to refrigerate it, but I pay a hefty "brand name" copay every month for it.

But you don't have to pay the PARI price tag! You can make your own at home. I grew up on homemade saline, from boiled tap water *gasp!* And I still only culture 2 strains of PA at 32 years old. Go figure. A very good friend of mine gave me this awesome hypertonic saline recipe.

Ingredients/Supplies
3. 1 Liter bottle
-Look at your drugstore. You want one that is thick enough to hold hot water without melting the plastic and a tight seal.
5. Measuring spoons (teaspoon) *note 1 gram sea salt is approximately equal to 1 teaspoon sea salt

For 7% saline you add 7 grams of sea salt to 1 Liter of distilled water. (technically you should also add 7 extra teaspoons of water to get exactly 7% solution.) Mix the water and the sea salt. Bring it just to a boil and then let it cool. You can even do this in the microwave for added convenience!

I used to make a new solution every week. It's very cheap and very easy. And if you want a stronger or weaker concentration just change the amount of sea salt. For example, for 3% solution use 3 grams sea salt in 1 liter of water. For 10% solution, use 10 grams sea salt in 1 liter of water.

And there you have it.

tara

Ingredients/Supplies
3. 1 Liter bottle

And there you have it.

tara

Ingredients/Supplies
3. 1 Liter bottle

And there you have it.

tara

<br />
<br />But you don't have to pay the PARI price tag! You can make your own at home. I grew up on homemade saline, from boiled tap water *gasp!* And I still only culture 2 strains of PA at 32 years old. Go figure. A very good friend of mine gave me this awesome hypertonic saline recipe.
<br />
<br />To make cheap easy hypertonic saline at home follow these instructions:
<br />
<br />Ingredients/Supplies
<br />1. Sea Salt (without Iodine)
<br /> -you can find this at your grocery store
<br />2. Gallon of Distilled Water
<br /> -again, found at the grocery store
<br />3. 1 Liter bottle
<br /> -Look at your drugstore. You want one that is thick enough to hold hot water without melting the plastic and a tight seal.
<br />4. Pot or measuring cup to boil the water
<br />5. Measuring spoons (teaspoon) *note 1 gram sea salt is approximately equal to 1 teaspoon sea salt
<br />
<br />For 7% saline you add 7 grams of sea salt to 1 Liter of distilled water. (technically you should also add 7 extra teaspoons of water to get exactly 7% solution.) Mix the water and the sea salt. Bring it just to a boil and then let it cool. You can even do this in the microwave for added convenience!
<br />
<br />Store the bottle in fridge, tightly sealed
<br />
<br />I used to make a new solution every week. It's very cheap and very easy. And if you want a stronger or weaker concentration just change the amount of sea salt. For example, for 3% solution use 3 grams sea salt in 1 liter of water. For 10% solution, use 10 grams sea salt in 1 liter of water.
<br />
<br />And there you have it.