the flu - question

amber682

how long are you contagious with the flu? My sister came down with it a few days ago and her kids today. They are supposed to be visiting for Christmas. Is it the sort of thing where you are contagiouos for a couple days or are you contagious as long as you're showing symptoms? My kids got their flu shots, but so did hers

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I would check with your CF doc. My guess is as long as they have a fever they are contagious with the flu virus...the fever can last 4-5 days; after that they will likely have a cough. Alot of times, people can get a secondary infection(bronchitis, pneumonia) from the flu which would make someone with CF susceptible to picking up that bacteria as well.

amber682

from what I read on the CDC website, they will be contagious for 5-7 days after showing symptoms, possibly longer in children. Looks like we'll be missing them this year :(

Twistofchaos

For adults from a couple days before the symptoms start (that's the tricky part) till a few days upto a week after the symptoms start.
With kids it's worse and well, best not to take any risks and never go near kids, EVER.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I'd be especially concerned as well. Years ago DH and I were exposed to the flu by a colleague who showed up to work sick and sat next to us during meetings before someone sent him to the clinic. DS' doctor put us on tamiflu as a precaution.

tysmama

Standard rule is no longer contagious after being fever free without Tylenol or ibuprofen for 24 hours. Most infectious time is 1-2 days prior to symptoms and 4 days following.

tysmama

Forgot to mention that I had my flu shot along with my 2 kids and Ty and I both tested positive for influenza B 2 weeks ago. Ty is just now feeling Better but it was so hard on him. my son without CF didn't catch it and only difference was he had the flu nasal mist and we had shots. Just an FYI.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
But of course remember that CFers shouldn't have nasal flu mist, in case folks are getting vacinated somewhere other than CF clinic where they might not know that.