The Gym

Melissa75

Administrator
There are so many variables for what makes us sick. When you do this analysis, take into account:
season--did you join in the fall/winter and is that when you get sick all the time anyway? Just re-read that you started in April--so forget that. But how often were you getting sick prior to the gym?
sleep--did your exercise take away from you sleep? I find that I need more sleep when I work out...something has to give. You can't add w/o taking away, unfortunately. For me it is TV and chitchat time with friends--gone.
exposure--to people at the gym, but also in other activities.
nutrition and hydration--nuf said.

I try to do Zumba 3x a week. It is cardio for one hour. I am sick right now though and trying to decide "how better?" do I have to be to go back to the gym...like if I can get through the day without an Advil for chills and body aches? Or do I take the advil and go b/c the mucus clearance is worth the exhaustion?

Melissa75

Administrator
There are so many variables for what makes us sick. When you do this analysis, take into account:
season--did you join in the fall/winter and is that when you get sick all the time anyway? Just re-read that you started in April--so forget that. But how often were you getting sick prior to the gym?
sleep--did your exercise take away from you sleep? I find that I need more sleep when I work out...something has to give. You can't add w/o taking away, unfortunately. For me it is TV and chitchat time with friends--gone.

I try to do Zumba 3x a week. It is cardio for one hour. I am sick right now though and trying to decide "how better?" do I have to be to go back to the gym...like if I can get through the day without an Advil for chills and body aches? Or do I take the advil and go b/c the mucus clearance is worth the exhaustion?

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator
<br />season--did you join in the fall/winter and is that when you get sick all the time anyway? Just re-read that you started in April--so forget that. But how often were you getting sick prior to the gym?
<br />sleep--did your exercise take away from you sleep? I find that I need more sleep when I work out...something has to give. You can't add w/o taking away, unfortunately. For me it is TV and chitchat time with friends--gone.
<br />exposure--to people at the gym, but also in other activities.
<br />nutrition and hydration--nuf said.
<br />
<br />
<br />I try to do Zumba 3x a week. It is cardio for one hour. I am sick right now though and trying to decide "how better?" do I have to be to go back to the gym...like if I can get through the day without an Advil for chills and body aches? Or do I take the advil and go b/c the mucus clearance is worth the exhaustion?
<br />

DogLuver105

I The Gym

I have found going to the gym a couple times a week is very helpful. But your body needs time to recover. so i would reccomend only going a few times a week or work different muscles on different days.Your body needs time to recover otherwise that could definately be making you sick.

DogLuver105

I The Gym

I have found going to the gym a couple times a week is very helpful. But your body needs time to recover. so i would reccomend only going a few times a week or work different muscles on different days.Your body needs time to recover otherwise that could definately be making you sick.

DogLuver105

I The Gym

musclemania70

I The Gym

I go to the gym 4-5 days a week.
If I were you, I would not be scared, just CAUTIOUS.
I always WASH my hands in the bathroom on the way out AND carry hand sanitizer in my purse to use as soon as I get in the car (after I've touched the door handles on the way out).
People at our gym are very good about cleaning off the machines after each use.
I also wear workout/weight lifting gloves to reduce the germ exposure.

musclemania70

I The Gym

If I were you, I would not be scared, just CAUTIOUS.
I always WASH my hands in the bathroom on the way out AND carry hand sanitizer in my purse to use as soon as I get in the car (after I've touched the door handles on the way out).
People at our gym are very good about cleaning off the machines after each use.
I also wear workout/weight lifting gloves to reduce the germ exposure.

musclemania70

I The Gym

<br />If I were you, I would not be scared, just CAUTIOUS.
<br />I always WASH my hands in the bathroom on the way out AND carry hand sanitizer in my purse to use as soon as I get in the car (after I've touched the door handles on the way out).
<br />People at our gym are very good about cleaning off the machines after each use.
<br />I also wear workout/weight lifting gloves to reduce the germ exposure.
<br />
<br />

Cindy

I The Gym

I just had a similar problem and was considering giving up my gym membership. I have decided to stick with it but I always wash my hands before I leave and use a ton of soap. If you wait until you reach your car, the germs go with you to your car. Also, I was advised to avoid the hot tub at all costs. If you sit low in the hot tub, it is very easy to pick up the germs that you really don't want. I was told the pool wasn't the same due to the heat factor. Hope that helps!

Cindy

Cindy

I The Gym

I just had a similar problem and was considering giving up my gym membership. I have decided to stick with it but I always wash my hands before I leave and use a ton of soap. If you wait until you reach your car, the germs go with you to your car. Also, I was advised to avoid the hot tub at all costs. If you sit low in the hot tub, it is very easy to pick up the germs that you really don't want. I was told the pool wasn't the same due to the heat factor. Hope that helps!

Cindy

Cindy

I The Gym

<br />
<br />Cindy
<br />

KMV77

I've been going to the gym since november '09. That was the first time in my life I actually started exercising daily. I have always been active but not necessarily with exercises (you know cutting the grass, washing the car, daily life stuff etc). This winter I didnt get sick. I remember picking up a bug or two but I kept at the gym, and I don't really know but I believe it helped me knock out whatever I had. I also practice what musclemania mentioned. Before I leave the gym I wash my hands and arms up to my elbows. I also keep hand sanitizer in the driverside door of my truck (I work in healthcare) so it has been habit for me to get in and use that too.
Kevin

KMV77

I've been going to the gym since november '09. That was the first time in my life I actually started exercising daily. I have always been active but not necessarily with exercises (you know cutting the grass, washing the car, daily life stuff etc). This winter I didnt get sick. I remember picking up a bug or two but I kept at the gym, and I don't really know but I believe it helped me knock out whatever I had. I also practice what musclemania mentioned. Before I leave the gym I wash my hands and arms up to my elbows. I also keep hand sanitizer in the driverside door of my truck (I work in healthcare) so it has been habit for me to get in and use that too.
Kevin

KMV77

<br />Kevin

FitForCF

I had the same thing happen to me at the gym. Was going there for about 4 months and ended up in the hospital. There are too many, RUDE people who don't know enough to cover their cough and who knows where their hands have been! lol

I started P90X last year and love it. My lung functions have improved about 15% and I'm 41 years old. I love it so much I became a coach to help support peopl with CF. You can check out my website and workout in the safety of your own home. :)

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://beachbodycoach.com/FITFORCF
">http://beachbodycoach.com/FITFORCF
</a>

FitForCF

I had the same thing happen to me at the gym. Was going there for about 4 months and ended up in the hospital. There are too many, RUDE people who don't know enough to cover their cough and who knows where their hands have been! lol

I started P90X last year and love it. My lung functions have improved about 15% and I'm 41 years old. I love it so much I became a coach to help support peopl with CF. You can check out my website and workout in the safety of your own home. :)

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://beachbodycoach.com/FITFORCF
</a>

FitForCF

<br />
<br />I started P90X last year and love it. My lung functions have improved about 15% and I'm 41 years old. I love it so much I became a coach to help support peopl with CF. You can check out my website and workout in the safety of your own home. :)
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://beachbodycoach.com/FITFORCF
</a><br />