The HORRIBLE winter virus and IVs

JennifersHope

I caught the cold cirus a week before Thanksgiving. I ended up coughing so hard and getting so sick from it I was put on life support in critical care. I was already on and still am on IV antibiotics since October for MAC. I came home from being intubated for over seven days but still had the cold virus, I was still coughing so hard my hear rate was so high as high as 180's. I was put back in critical care on bi pap for over a week. I came home the day before Christmas. Though I am better, I still have the cold virus and am still congested, the coughing has stopped but I am still wheezing, making rice crispie sounds with my lungs etc.

I have been tested for everything from RSV, Whopping cough, the flu and everything else. It is just a nasty virus. If it does not go away soon I know my infectious disease doctor was going to look into doing some kind of therapy to boost my immune system, as this last intubation almost killed me and I was very hard to get off life support so we can not have any more flare ups.

Go away nasty virus.. Go away..

JennifersHope

I caught the cold cirus a week before Thanksgiving. I ended up coughing so hard and getting so sick from it I was put on life support in critical care. I was already on and still am on IV antibiotics since October for MAC. I came home from being intubated for over seven days but still had the cold virus, I was still coughing so hard my hear rate was so high as high as 180's. I was put back in critical care on bi pap for over a week. I came home the day before Christmas. Though I am better, I still have the cold virus and am still congested, the coughing has stopped but I am still wheezing, making rice crispie sounds with my lungs etc.

I have been tested for everything from RSV, Whopping cough, the flu and everything else. It is just a nasty virus. If it does not go away soon I know my infectious disease doctor was going to look into doing some kind of therapy to boost my immune system, as this last intubation almost killed me and I was very hard to get off life support so we can not have any more flare ups.

Go away nasty virus.. Go away..

mamaScarlett

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>JennifersHope</b></i>
I was put on life support in critical care. I was already on and still am on IV antibiotics since October for MAC.<br>I was put back in critical care on bi pap for over a week. I came home the day before Christmas.<br><br>I am still wheezing, making rice crispie sounds with my lungs etc.<br></end quote><br><br><br>Holy cow...wow. I can't believe what you've been through. I'm so sorry!<br>Its crazy, when I started getting this virus, on day 2 I called my hubby and said I can tell this one is going to be bad. Its been 30 days and I still have it. Same with me, the cough is gone but the wheezing is insane plus the tight feeling. And if I go outside in the cold, even to open the door-forget it. I just close up. Started prednisone yesterday, that seems to be helping. But far to go!<br>

mamaScarlett

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>JennifersHope</b></i>
I was put on life support in critical care. I was already on and still am on IV antibiotics since October for MAC.<br>I was put back in critical care on bi pap for over a week. I came home the day before Christmas.<br><br>I am still wheezing, making rice crispie sounds with my lungs etc.<br></end quote><br><br><br>Holy cow...wow. I can't believe what you've been through. I'm so sorry!<br>Its crazy, when I started getting this virus, on day 2 I called my hubby and said I can tell this one is going to be bad. Its been 30 days and I still have it. Same with me, the cough is gone but the wheezing is insane plus the tight feeling. And if I go outside in the cold, even to open the door-forget it. I just close up. Started prednisone yesterday, that seems to be helping. But far to go!<br>

i am not sure i did get the virus that you are talking about but something similar. i got finished with ivs in Oct. i got back on ivs Dec 20th. i usually dont get sick again until april or may. I just assumed it was the constant weather changing that did me in. it was cold for a few days then spring than back to cold. i just assumed it was that. there has been a lot of sickness too.

i am not sure i did get the virus that you are talking about but something similar. i got finished with ivs in Oct. i got back on ivs Dec 20th. i usually dont get sick again until april or may. I just assumed it was the constant weather changing that did me in. it was cold for a few days then spring than back to cold. i just assumed it was that. there has been a lot of sickness too.

mamaScarlett

Updating on this virus pattern if anyone else gets it. It looks like I'll probably have the picc pulled next week. That is 4 wks of ivs, plus 10 days of prednisone. The steroids are what really did the trick. After 2 wks of ivs I barely felt better, but the 2nd day of pred, I felt a huge change.
I've had the virus since Dec 1st. Most everyone I know (non cf) thats had it has had a nagging cough for a month or more. I know of 3 healthy people that have even had hemoptysis from it! I heard of a woman near a relative of mine out in NY, in her 60s, had this cough, starting coughing up blood and hemmoraged in her lung and died.
So if you start to get this deep hacky cough, esp with wheezing, just bite the bullet please and get IVs or something...don't mess around.
I don't know why this isn't in the news more, even my doc acknowledged that...maybe bc of the holidays, or all the republican debates!-But this is really bad. Please take care everyone!

mamaScarlett

Updating on this virus pattern if anyone else gets it. It looks like I'll probably have the picc pulled next week. That is 4 wks of ivs, plus 10 days of prednisone. The steroids are what really did the trick. After 2 wks of ivs I barely felt better, but the 2nd day of pred, I felt a huge change.
I've had the virus since Dec 1st. Most everyone I know (non cf) thats had it has had a nagging cough for a month or more. I know of 3 healthy people that have even had hemoptysis from it! I heard of a woman near a relative of mine out in NY, in her 60s, had this cough, starting coughing up blood and hemmoraged in her lung and died.
So if you start to get this deep hacky cough, esp with wheezing, just bite the bullet please and get IVs or something...don't mess around.
I don't know why this isn't in the news more, even my doc acknowledged that...maybe bc of the holidays, or all the republican debates!-But this is really bad. Please take care everyone!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Mostly have had a nasty gastro bug going around our area -- high fever and puking. Friend of mine's two little cfers spent Xmas pretty much sleeping. My coworker's family got it and then moved on to the respiratory bug. Seems like everyone is hacking and coughing, so I'm practically bathing in hand sanitizer at work.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Mostly have had a nasty gastro bug going around our area -- high fever and puking. Friend of mine's two little cfers spent Xmas pretty much sleeping. My coworker's family got it and then moved on to the respiratory bug. Seems like everyone is hacking and coughing, so I'm practically bathing in hand sanitizer at work.

JennifersHope

Finally eight weeks later, I can with a fairly good degree of certainty say that the virus in just about gone. I am still doing IV's for the MAC and finally my night sweats are gone, The only lingering thing I have is my airway, vocal chords are pretty damaged from coughing, being intubated etc and they are still having spasms which scares me because I am afraid my throat is going to close up again.. As long as I don't over do it, I seem to be improving...

Thank God, that was one nasty virus. I never had a virus cause a collapse in my lung before.. Geeze

JennifersHope

Finally eight weeks later, I can with a fairly good degree of certainty say that the virus in just about gone. I am still doing IV's for the MAC and finally my night sweats are gone, The only lingering thing I have is my airway, vocal chords are pretty damaged from coughing, being intubated etc and they are still having spasms which scares me because I am afraid my throat is going to close up again.. As long as I don't over do it, I seem to be improving...

Thank God, that was one nasty virus. I never had a virus cause a collapse in my lung before.. Geeze

ellie12xx

yep, hospital IVs for 12 days, went in on 6th Dec, came out 18th. Oh my god i had alot! mind you i did get as much junk food as i asked for and a free coke every day! but still i hate hospital! xxxxx

ellie12xx

yep, hospital IVs for 12 days, went in on 6th Dec, came out 18th. Oh my god i had alot! mind you i did get as much junk food as i asked for and a free coke every day! but still i hate hospital! xxxxx

ellie12xx

i was on tobrymicin and a few others :L i had a broncoscopy on the first day then started the IVs. I had a day break between it bc levels got too high. grrr its so annoying! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ellie12xx

i was on tobrymicin and a few others :L i had a broncoscopy on the first day then started the IVs. I had a day break between it bc levels got too high. grrr its so annoying! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx