The Phone rang at 3:30AM....

G

GoryLori

The Phone rang at 3:30AM....the means it's NOT good news. The wife of a best friend of mine called me to tell me Billy died yesterday. We met at CF summer camp 30 years ago and had kept up our friendship. We both opted for lung transplant and he had a great outcome, while I was rejected as a candidate based on immunology results that showed my body would not accept any organ. When I cried for weeks, HE was there for me. When he received his gift of new lungs, I was there for him. We always called on our birthdays, knowing how important it was when we reached the next one. His death was sudden. Very little suffering. He didn't feel well and in 30 mins, he was dead. He lived for 15 years with those donated lungs and I want the donor's family to know how much he loved life and thanked his donor for every breath. He did not suffer. Isn't that how most of us wish we'd die?? To my friend Billy, I'll see ya on the other side, Buddy.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I am so very sorry for your loss. May remembering his strength give you and his beloved wife strength during this time of anguish.

triples15

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry for your loss Lori. Thank you for sharing a bit of Billy's story for us, how wonderful that he lived for 15 years with new lungs.

I'll be thinking of you and his family as you grieve his loss.

Take Care,

Autumn

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you two had a special bond. Living 15 years with donated lungs is a great accomplishment! More like a blessing. I'm 8 years out and I hope I can live as long as Billy. Sending positive vibes. Much love & Hugs to you....(L)

imported_Momto2

I am so sorry. I've gotten a call like that, it was like being run over by a mac truck. You're right though, a true blessing it was quick and after 15 additional years! Amazing..... I hope I am as fortunate when my time comes. Just want a chance to say goodbye to my husband and daughters though.

jaimers

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry to hear this. Losing a friend is never easy to process but with such a unique bond I can only imagine how much more devastating this loss is for you. My thoughts and prayers to you and his wife as you both grieve this loss.

K

kgfrompa

I am so sorry for your loss, Leaving always lingers a broken heart and a forever scar .Praying for healing

A

Allansarmy

As many others have stated, I am very sorry for the loss of your friend. Is there any hope that the new drugs coming out will keep your PFTs high enough?