The type of bacteria growing in CF lungs correlates with how viscous the mucus is

The type of bacteria growing in the lungs of a PWCF seems to determine how sticky the mucus is. I think this is a very good reason to demand that the CF team looking after your child monitors the bacterial status of the child's airways very closely and has absolute zero tolerance for any infection. This also goes a long way to explain why my son's airways do not have sticky mucus buildup - his lungs have been pretty much infection free.

The worst bacteria are B. cepacia, S. maltophilia. Staph is the least harmful (but of course harmful), PA is in between.

[h=1]A New Method to Improve the Clinical Evaluation of Cystic Fibrosis Patients by Mucus Viscoelastic Properties[/h]
  • Giovanna Tomaiuolo mail,

• Giulia Rusciano,

• Sergio Caserta,

• Antonio Carciati,

• Vincenzo Carnovale,

• Pasquale Abete,

• Antonio Sasso,

• Stefano Guido

In cystic fibrosis (CF) patients airways mucus shows an increased viscoelasticity due to the concentration of high molecular weight components. Such mucus thickening eventually leads to bacterial overgrowth and prevents mucus clearance. The altered rheological behavior of mucus results in chronic lung infection and inflammation, which causes most of the cases of morbidity and mortality, although the cystic fibrosis complications affect other organs as well. Here, we present a quantitative study on the correlation between cystic fibrosis mucus viscoelasticity and patients clinical status. In particular, a new diagnostic parameter based on the correlation between CF sputum viscoelastic properties and the severity of the disease, expressed in terms of FEV1 and bacterial colonization, was developed. By using principal component analysis, we show that the types of colonization and FEV1 classes are significantly correlated to the elastic modulus, and that the latter can be used for CF severity classification with a high predictive efficiency (88%). The data presented here show that the elastic modulus of airways mucus, given the high predictive efficiency, could be used as a new clinical parameter in the prognostic evaluation of cystic fibrosis.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0082297

Printer

The type of bacteria growing in the lungs is determined by having a sputum test done on every Clinic visit. The results of the sputum test will determine what, if any, infection is growing in the patients lungs. Test tubes don't lie.

Bill

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
I find this study interesting and the data has potential value in diagnostics. Granted, as Printer points out the sputum sample will reveal the pathogens in the sputum. I could argue it will reveal only the pathogens in that sputum sample. Years back, these tests were not reliable because it is sputum exposed to free air with every breath and therefore be contaminated with many bactera that are not really an infection.

The logic behind a sputum test isn't obvious because it is catching every kind of pollen or pathogen breathed in or out. An infection deep in the lung may be nearly excluded from outside air due to a mucus plug or such. This is where the viscoelasticity of mucus could be measured for density with a CT or MRI, and an essentially occult infection can be zeroed in on. As for measuring the viscoelasticity of the mucus in a sputum test, a bacterial assay has worked and will continue to work very reliably.

What if an infection isn't being stirred up by breathing and deposited in that potential sputum to be tested? It happens, and maybe this is why they don't always get the correct antibiotic when fighting an infection. There is a potential future value for this data. I see it in more indirect measures because a bacterial culture is about as direct as tests get.

LL

Printer

LL

Even if the Mucus Viscoelastic Properties could improve the Clinical Evaluation of CF the cost would be prohibitive. A cost benefit analysis would be required in every instance. Not only will the dollar cost of an MRI or a CAT be considered, and frowned upon by the Insurance Industry but the accumulated radiation would limit this procedure to the most serious situations.

Bill

Yes it is interesting, isn't it! Not sure about the diagnostic side - even though that's what they talking about in the article - what I didn't know was that the type of bacteria determines how sticky the mucus in the lungs is.

I posted this in the Families section because I think it is so important for parents to know that the sticky mucus buildup is secondary to infection, not something intrinsic in the lungs of CF patients. When my son was diagnosed I was told that CF causes the lungs to clog up, and that this development was inevitable and progressive. Luckily found out this is not true, the problem is lack of immunity in the CF airways, and if infections can be prevented there is no mucus buildup. I'm not sure this is known widely.

Krazy4Katie

Very interesting information, however, please do not forget about Atypical Mycobacterium Abscessus (non-contagious TB), which is impossile to get rid of. My daughter suffers with that and chronic PA, we are being referrred to Dr. Olivier at the NIH for treament for it, hoping to get access to new drugs or treatments. Praying a cure will be found soon!

Printer

Thanks suziesmom.

knowitall is an uneducated high school dropout who likes to shoot his mouth off. Actually, I enjoy his attempts at being rational.

Bill

knowitall

Banned
Thanks suziesmom.

knowitall is an uneducated high school dropout who likes to shoot his mouth off. Actually, I enjoy his attempts at being rational.

Bill

Someone's rather bitter, must bring back memories of your childhood self. My apologizes.

:)

Justinsmama

Printer has always been very kind to us. We are thankful for his input. Also, he is a model for my 9 year old that he is not sentenced to a shortened life.

K

kgfrompa

I think at times my mucus is so sticky it sticks to the cups i cough in and I think there is something to say about each and everything that I have never given a second thought to because then I am much more open to what might help me.On the other hand I wish we where kinder and not so harsh with one another.Cf is hard on my life as it is with each and every one.

baseballfrank

What the heck is wrong with you KnowItAll? Why the name calling? Why the animosity? If you have something constructive to say then say it without the name calling, otherwise stay out of this forum!

regina65

I have had B cepacia for a long time . I started culturing MRSA in 2009 and have been having more problems since it came along.

gypsymout

I have a 4 month old cf and her throat culture came back with MRSA. We started her on antibiotics and hope it clears it up. What kind of effects is this having on your body? Has anything helped to rid the infection?