Therapy to manage psychological aspects of CF -- anyone see a therapist?

Simba15

There is alot of misinformation on this thread. I am a psychotherapist and I have CF. If anyone needs help or has questions, PM me. Thank You.

cam

psychotherapy. questions

There is alot of misinformation on this thread. I am a psychotherapist and I have CF. If anyone needs help or has questions, PM me. Thank You.
I have been thinking about seeing a therapist cause i been having alot of fear bout getting worse and the end of life things i always was secptical cause what could they say or do that will help with the inevitable i always thought they could help with things that could b changes or helped but nothing i think will make me ready for the end but i think i could use some help on coping day to day but ill probably go threw a lot of them before i find the one i can open up to and can really help if u guys had help with this issue with a therapist
Let me know how and if it did thank u guys hope everyone gets better and stays that way

H

Hail2Pitt

Simba15 - I want to make sure I have this right. A social worker is not a LPC by default. But, if they earn a master's in counseling, obtain the required clinical experience, and pass the licensing exam, they can become a LPC, correct? Really, as long as you have an undergrad degree in something, you can take these steps to become a LPC, right? I've had several friends ask me about counseling, and I want to make sure I'm telling folks the right thing! Thanks! :)

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
My brother is a psychiatrist and does do some therapy...or maybe that's only at family gatherings..;-). But thanks for clarifications simba!

Jet

I've seen a counselor for the past several years. i started seeing one to deal with life work balance issues. Lately I've dealt more with the chronic disease stuff including a fear of dying early and diminishing health. I've been fortunate enough to be able to work but now I worry that I won't have time to enjoy life post work. My kids are hitting college age so I have all the financial worries of other families as well. The counselor is great at helping to talk thru all of this stuff. Life's to hard to try to solve everything alone and CF just adds more to worry about. I'd encourage anyone to seek help if they feel they need it.

Simba15

This is incorrect. a LPC= Licensed Professional Counselor. Cmpletely different from a social worker. A licesned social worker is a LCSW or LICSW. LPC and LCSW are two very different things. You must have a masters degree to be a LPC, but not necessarily a LCSW (depends on the state you are in). To become a LPC you must earn a masters in counseling, take the licensing exam, have thousands of hours of supervision, apply to the state for licensure, pay the fee. Once the state grants you licensure then you are a LPC,
Simba15 - I want to make sure I have this right. A social worker is not a LPC by default. But, if they earn a master's in counseling, obtain the required clinical experience, and pass the licensing exam, they can become a LPC, correct? Really, as long as you have an undergrad degree in something, you can take these steps to become a LPC, right? I've had several friends ask me about counseling, and I want to make sure I'm telling folks the right thing! Thanks! :)

Simba15

Some do it and most dont. Most have very little training in it - believe it or not. With insurance a psychiatrst gets paid more not to do it and to do meds only, so most do meds only.
My brother is a psychiatrist and does do some therapy...or maybe that's only at family gatherings..;-). But thanks for clarifications simba!