Therapy to manage psychological aspects of CF -- anyone see a therapist?

W

welshwitch

Recently, I've been struggling with my CF. Not physically, but mentally. I've had some situations recently "trigger" some of the fears I have associated with this disease. Specifically, I'm starting to realize that I'm extremely uncomfortable with the isolation that having CF creates and the fear of cross-infection and the affect that that has had on my psyche. I'm also worried about starting a family. Finally, I still feel really uncomfortable discussing my CF with other people in my life.

Does anyone see a therapist for issues related to having a chronic illness? Today I had one of those days where dealing with this disease is just too hard

:(

ryry11

I'm seeing a therapist for a number of things, but one of them is definitely the comorbid issues with CF. It's been helpful to have someone to talk to about these things who may not 'understand,' but that I don't have to worry about "freaking out," as I do with nearly everyone else in my life. I also have been on an SSRI for about a year after my doctor had a psychiatrist come see me while I was admitted last March. It's been a huge help; on the days where CF seems overwhelming, I think the SSRI allows me to at least get through it and keep going. I had terrible depression last winter and a lot of it was due to that I was sicker than I had been in many years even though I was doing everything right. It was difficult for me to even do my treatments, so getting an SSRI and therapy has really helped. I would say talk to your doctor about it, and maybe look into therapists in your area that specialize in chronic illness. Mine doesn't, but I click with her really well and she's got some exposure to chronic illnesses, so she's fantastic even though that's not her specialty.

D

Dank

I've had therapy most of my early-teenager years, probably went through like 50-100 therapists easily. I was a difficult child, a more fragile and difficult teenager, and became a very problematic late teenager-adult and got myself into a lot of trouble. Since then I've bounced back and have never looked back towards those ways. I have a lot of friends who I can relate to on different spiritual levels and talk to about my thoughts and feelings. I think in the end, I do feel alone and I feel like nobody truly understands me, probably one of the reasons I frequent these forums so much. I think everyone is different of course, and so there are certain ways to express yourself that are healthy - a therapist definitely being one of them - that can be very beneficial. I wish you the best of luck

I've had a therapist since I was a teenager, largely to deal with CF issues. It's a difficult disease, and the isolation from others only makes it worse. I started to have depression when I was 30, and got on an SSRI plus Abilify. However, it wasn't until I started meditating that I got more of a handle on my fears. Not pushing them away, but allowing them to be there, observing them in a dispassionate way. Exercise also helps.

Lots of people with CF, particularly over 30, have trouble. It's no wonder, right? We feel like we're supposed to be dead, and the side effects and symptoms are sometimes overwhelming. Also, I'm pretty healthy for CF, and I actually found it stressful and scary to think of living a long time with this illness. Nuts, right?

Finally, find a therapist who you connect with. I have a great guy, and I sometimes talk to him once a week, and most of the time don't see him at all. He's flexible about my needs, and that worked for me. Whatever you do, though, no shame, OK? Life, with or without CF, can be tough sometimes. Support in whatever form that comes is called Taking Good Care of Yourself! Thinking of you.

J

jennywotherspoon

Hi there,
My daughter has CF so I am not in your position but can relate to many of the thoughts and issues you raised, especially concerning triggers. I have suffered from depression and one of my big triggers is around my daughter's CF. She is very well I might add, but nonetheless CF and all its implications is always there and even on the brightest and sunniest day it is like a black cloud lurking just over the horizon.

I would really encourage you to seek counselling. It has made a huge difference for me. It is all about the "getting it out there", voicing everything that you bottle up inside and having an objective, professional therapist "unpack" all those suitcases. Some of them you have been carrying around all your life and they are heavy. Some you won't even realize you are carrying until you are in therapy and can safely "unpack" them and deal with them. Some can be dealt with once and for all and some your therapist will help you understand and deal with and give you tools to deal with them in an ongoing way.

My heart goes out to you and everyone impacted by the struggles that CF bring. Do this for yourself. Find a good therapist and hold nothing back. We take so much time and effort to look after our physical well being when our mental health underpins everything and often goes along neglected.

Best wishes.

W

welshwitch

Thanks all. I'm going to look into it. You're right, it's all part of the health process :)

MichaelL

Last year I got very sick and ended up in the hospital. This was the most sick I've ever been and it was scary to say the least. Soon after admission, my doctor asked me if I'd like to see a therapist given my recent health challenges. She was glad when I agreed. I was in the hospital for six weeks and I was visited by a psychiatrist resident almost every week day. After leaving the hospital, I now see a psychiatrist every six weeks or so as part of my clinic visit. The chats are short, but it's still good to have a check-in on my mental health. Since he's part of the CF care team, he's familiar with the lingo we use and with the challenges we face.

I think seeing a therapist is a great idea for those of us living with CF. I agree with the comment above that it's important to find a therapist that's the right fit.

W

welshwitch

Thanks, Michael. So your CF care team has a therapist? Mine has support, too, but it's always been a social worker. What's the difference between a social worker and a therapist? I feel like my social worker can be helpful, but I only see her during my quarterly appointments and it's free because it's included in my CF center. If I were to see a therapist, I feel like I'd have to shell out some serious cash to do so. It's a bit confusing re: the social worker vs. therapist route.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
welshwitch: most therapists are either psychologists or psychiatrists. Our CF Team (peds) has one as well as the social worker. And your insurance will cover--it is considered a requirement under Obamacare. Look under "mental health" coverage and you'll see the details. Maybe ask your team if they have one they recommend or google in your area for folk's experience to get a take if they'd be a good fit.

H

Hail2Pitt

About three years ago I decided to see a counselor, and I went to her for several months. I now go back from time-to-time when I'm starting to struggle again. It has helped immensely!

I've always been a bit tightly wound, and the stress of my diagnosis (at age 29) seemed to turn that tendency into full-blown anxiety. I wish I'd seen her as soon as I was diagnosed - CF is a lot to deal with, and though I thought I was dealing with it ok on my own, I really wasn't. She helped me get the anxiety under control, and gave me a lot of tools to use to help deal with the stress of living with this disease. I really recommend seeing one if you think you need to.

Though, just like with doctors, try to be careful about who you choose - not all of them are good! Try to get a referral if you can. My church was able to give me names of counselors they recommend, and that was very helpful.

Simba15

This is not correct. Therapists are usually psychologists, licensed professional counselors, licensed social workers. Psychiatrists do very little therapy and most do not have training in it.

welshwitch: most therapists are either psychologists or psychiatrists. Our CF Team (peds) has one as well as the social worker. And your insurance will cover--it is considered a requirement under Obamacare. Look under "mental health" coverage and you'll see the details. Maybe ask your team if they have one they recommend or google in your area for folk's experience to get a take if they'd be a good fit.

Simba15

Welshwitch: social workers are trained in the bottom part of mazlow's hierarchy. they focus on basics like food, shelter, clothing, insurance. This is what you get at a CF center - they help you with the basics of life. A therapist is a trained in counseling or psychology and will help you with the higher end of mazlow's hierarchy: coping, stress, relationships, self-actualization, etc.

Simba15

Insurance only pays for counseling/therapy if you plan covers it. If you have a private insurance plan you have to call the plan inquire if they have outpatient mental health. Ask if there is a limit for the # of sessions, deductible, copay , etc.

W

welshwitch

THANK YOU for these clarifications, everyone. Really appreciate it!

athletixbc

My CF care team includes a social worker and psychiatrist to help deal with the mental health aspect of the disease. There are a ton of things about CF that can get a person down in the dumps. I've been on antidepressants for 11 years because of a really bad year I had in 2003 with five separate hospitalizations and two people very dear to me who passed away all in the same seven month time frame.

H

Hail2Pitt

Just chiming in to agree with what Simba15 said. Therapists are typically psychologists or licensed professional counselors (LPCs). Some social workers are LPCs as well. But, they're not medical doctors, so if your therapist/counselor recommended a prescription medication for you to take, you'd need either a primary care doctor or psychiatrist to prescribe it. This may have been different in the past, but nowadays psychiatrists really just specialize in understanding how these drugs work, interact with each other, etc. I'm not saying you won't find a psychiatrist who also does therapy, but it doesn't seem to be typical.

musclemania70

Make sure your insurance covers it! Therapists will happily see you and bill your insurance but MOST will not tell you that there is a large portion of mental health services that is NOT covered under insurance plans which could leave you with a LARGE mental health bill.
Just be prepared and do your homework beforehand!

Simba15

This is not correct. Social workers are not LPC. LPC = Licensed Professional Counselor. SOME social workers are LCSW's = Licensed Clinical Social Workers/