Thinking of buying a generator

catboogie

I'm thinking that I'm to the point where I'm pretty dependent on power - vest and nebs especially. There's also the thousands of dollars of medication in my refrigerator at any given time (mail order pharmacy, three month's supply). Living in North Carolina we sometimes lose power with storms, and there's always the possiblity that we could catch part of a hurricane. I would feel much more peace of mind if we had a generator, but I don't know the first thing about them. Do you guys know how expensive one would be? How much power would I need to run all my stuff??

Thanks.

laura

catboogie

I'm thinking that I'm to the point where I'm pretty dependent on power - vest and nebs especially. There's also the thousands of dollars of medication in my refrigerator at any given time (mail order pharmacy, three month's supply). Living in North Carolina we sometimes lose power with storms, and there's always the possiblity that we could catch part of a hurricane. I would feel much more peace of mind if we had a generator, but I don't know the first thing about them. Do you guys know how expensive one would be? How much power would I need to run all my stuff??

Thanks.

laura

catboogie

Thanks.

laura

catboogie

Thanks.

laura

catboogie

<br />
<br />Thanks.
<br />
<br />laura

dbtoo

Generators can run you anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand. You can get a decent one from <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&search=generator&N=0&Ntt=generator&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US">Costco</a>.

To determine your requirement, you need to add up all of the items that will run at the same time - refrigerator, vest, nebs, etc. This is the max amount. Since you will know when you are running on the generator, you can control what is running (except for the fridge, that's going to kick in whenever it needs it. ) The genny will have a maximum run time, usually only a few hours, then you would have to refill it with gas (unless you get a bottled gas/propane variety, which is higher cost.) Refilling the gas tank on a hot generator is not a good idea, so it would have to cool down before you refill it. You will also have a noise issue (if you don't live out in the woods.) And if you are in an apartment complex, you may not be permitted to have one. The huge ones would run your whole house, but what you probably need is a small one that you can plug individual components into as you need them.

Another alternative, if you have the room and no restrictions, is solar. Go Green! Forget wind power - unless you live where the wind blows at least 15 miles per hour ever minute of every day and never blows over 40 mph!

Personnaly, I think having a generator is good idea.

dbtoo

Generators can run you anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand. You can get a decent one from <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&search=generator&N=0&Ntt=generator&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US">Costco</a>.

To determine your requirement, you need to add up all of the items that will run at the same time - refrigerator, vest, nebs, etc. This is the max amount. Since you will know when you are running on the generator, you can control what is running (except for the fridge, that's going to kick in whenever it needs it. ) The genny will have a maximum run time, usually only a few hours, then you would have to refill it with gas (unless you get a bottled gas/propane variety, which is higher cost.) Refilling the gas tank on a hot generator is not a good idea, so it would have to cool down before you refill it. You will also have a noise issue (if you don't live out in the woods.) And if you are in an apartment complex, you may not be permitted to have one. The huge ones would run your whole house, but what you probably need is a small one that you can plug individual components into as you need them.

Another alternative, if you have the room and no restrictions, is solar. Go Green! Forget wind power - unless you live where the wind blows at least 15 miles per hour ever minute of every day and never blows over 40 mph!

dbtoo

dbtoo

dbtoo

<br />
<br />To determine your requirement, you need to add up all of the items that will run at the same time - refrigerator, vest, nebs, etc. This is the max amount. Since you will know when you are running on the generator, you can control what is running (except for the fridge, that's going to kick in whenever it needs it. ) The genny will have a maximum run time, usually only a few hours, then you would have to refill it with gas (unless you get a bottled gas/propane variety, which is higher cost.) Refilling the gas tank on a hot generator is not a good idea, so it would have to cool down before you refill it. You will also have a noise issue (if you don't live out in the woods.) And if you are in an apartment complex, you may not be permitted to have one. The huge ones would run your whole house, but what you probably need is a small one that you can plug individual components into as you need them.
<br />
<br />Another alternative, if you have the room and no restrictions, is solar. Go Green! Forget wind power - unless you live where the wind blows at least 15 miles per hour ever minute of every day and never blows over 40 mph!
<br />
<br />Personnaly, I think having a generator is good idea.

Chaggie

What DB means when he says add all the items up is the amps and watts of the devices, make sure the generator can handle the the total amps of what you will be running off it.

You can also need to get a small transformer installed that would allow it to hook up to your household.

Chaggie

What DB means when he says add all the items up is the amps and watts of the devices, make sure the generator can handle the the total amps of what you will be running off it.

You can also need to get a small transformer installed that would allow it to hook up to your household.

Chaggie

Chaggie

Chaggie

<br />
<br />You can also need to get a small transformer installed that would allow it to hook up to your household.

dbtoo

Yeah, what chaggie said....

And, you don't want it too close to an open window or door since the fumes may get to ya - so buy thick extension cords!

That's why solar, if you could afford it, would be good.

dbtoo

And, you don't want it too close to an open window or door since the fumes may get to ya - so buy thick extension cords!

dbtoo

dbtoo

dbtoo

<br />
<br />And, you don't want it too close to an open window or door since the fumes may get to ya - so buy thick extension cords!
<br />
<br />That's why solar, if you could afford it, would be good.