Thirsty on antibiotics?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Is this "normal?" DS has been as\king for much more water/gateroade than normal. He doesn't have too bad stools and isn't peeing more than typical
, or if so,
only slightly. He didn't have much to drin\k in the 2 wee\ks leading up to it so I'm thin\king his body is trying to ma\ke up
, but want to ma\ke sure I'm not missing something.

kenna2

Absolutely normal. He has high powered meds running through his system and that's going to dehydrate you. Plus he needs to stay as hydrated as possible to help flush everything out along with mucus even when not on meds. Most CF patients when they are in the hospital are on a constant hydration IV drip. Pump as much water/ gatorade as possible!

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
I'm wondering if it is liquid, water, he is craving or something else. Sugar, carbs and simple salt is a short list. Something I have been doing for the last four years is my daily "big drink". Mostly it's a 26oz glass of Gatorade, Fierce Berry Fruit Punch drank from a straw. There's some serious testing behind the Gatorade taste and you have to give them part of the credit for the desire to chug it.

As soon as the weather gets warmer I will make it with 1/4 coconut water and a little bit of Izzi Pop. Not everyone jumps at potassium electrolytes and he might not either. As you know already, we really need a full balance of electrolytes and I believe my life would have been healthier had I been well hydrated. In fact I am certain. Polycystic kidney disease is not uncommon in CF and I have pretty sorry kidneys​. I knew it would eventually happen and it has. My kids bark at me if I consume anything diuretic or become dehydrated. If coconut water is not in your drinks of choice, potatoes and bananas are great substitutes​. Imagine, something good about french fries.

LL

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Thanks! He loves gateroade and salt water and has had a ton of both. He also loves all \kinds of potatoes (other than mashed or ba\ked). So I'll just \keep them going.