Those living in NY State Please help!!!

eggshell

Hi I really would appreciate if anyone here who lives in New York could help me. I currently live on my own hve Medicare and SSDI . Just finding it hard to make ends meet with all the medical bills and rent. Can anyone tell me if "we" cystic fibrosis individuals are able to receive any help from a govt agency. Just need some advice as I am struggling.

Your help on this matter would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Eggshell

JustDucky

I wonder if you qualify for extra help with your medical, especially prescriptions. If you don't make much in SSDI, then you may qualify for this help, check out Medicare.gov site, I think that there is some info about what you need to do to apply for this. I would also check in with social services, you may also qualify for help with rent, food etc if your income is low. Other than that, I don't know of any other programs. Also, depending on your town, there may be local services that may be of help to you, check out the food pantries, thrift stores (the only thing I buy new are under clothes, everything else that I own is gently used/new from thrift stores....save a fortune shopping that way!) . I also clip coupons, every dollar counts. Oh, another thought, if you have to pay for utilities, especially heat, check out HEAP, you can file that online, but if you qualify, your heating bill will be greatly reduced.

I too am on SSDI, medicare etc, so I know how you feel, it is hard when you are on a fixed income. I paint some, once in awhile, one of my paintings sell and that is a extra bucks in my pocket. If you have a hobby and are good at it, consider selling your product.

Good luck! Hope this helps

Jenn 40 wCF

beleache

I guess my best advice would be to speak to your social worker at your clinic.. She/he should be able to answer that question. If you dont get anywhere w/ that then maybe ask Beth Sufien for her advice.

JustDucky

Martha, thanks for that link! I didn't know that NY had such a program.. Something to look into for sure :)

Jenn 40 wCF

C

cfgf28

If you are single with no children and make under about $900 a month you qualify for medicaid, and if you make more than that you may qualify for a medicaid spend down. The program that you were sent the link to, is only good if you have your own insurance, but I would think Medicare counts for that part of it. last I knew they weren't enrolling anyone new into that program, because of budget issues. But if you look into it and find out differently let me know...My bf's clinic told him that probably over a year ago... HEAP will give you money towards your gas or electric bill depnding what you heat with. Food stamps, I think take into account money spent on medical bills...Section 8 housing, is income based rent....