Those who have applied to disability

ethan508

Student loans can be used for housing, food, and transportation costs and unfortunately student loans aren't an uncommon part of getting an education. Try to get by on Federal student loans and avoid private student loans. Also make sure you budget such that you don't take more federal student loans out than absolutely needed. "They" advise no more total loans than you expect from you 1st year salary (I'd advise half or a quarter of that if possible).

From a very outsider perspective, I would find a way to move close enough to campus to walk or bus to school (saving on gas and vehicle costs and the general energy it takes to commute 1.5 hours each day). I'd find a cheap apartment that I could split with 3-5 other people. I lived 'near campus' with 5 other guys and it was a bunch cheaper than dorms or living alone. It was probably as cheap as driving the 45 minutes from my parents’ house. Cook big cheap meals on weekends (beans and rice). When you cook make meals for 3-4 and pack the leftovers for lunch and/or dinners when you get home exhausted so you do end up spending too much eating out. And lastly, exchange your social/recreational activities for things that are absolutely cheap or free (spend your time in the parks rather than the pubs).

Getting through school will take some sacrifices. Just be sure your health care isn't one of them.

benthyr123

I would suggest you talk to the financial aid department at your school. Pell grants can be awarded on projected income under certain circumstances...such as loss of employment. If you don't have a BA and this is an accredited program I would pursue as much federal money as you can. The fin aid department can take your circumstances into consideration. Loans can be used for living expenses. Talk to the director of fin aid if you can. I worked in fin aid before I retired. PM me if you would like. Best wishes!

Kmhbeauty - These are excellent suggestions, I was only telling you about assistance through the government because you have stated before you did not want to take out any more loans which I agree given your situation where you are all alone. I know the federal government bases your qualifications for any grants based on your last years income so grants would most likely not be an option for you. I agree with the person who said try not to take out many private loans and try to just stay with federal loans. My son has both private and federal as well as we also have Parents Plus loans out for him. It can all be overwhelming when it comes to paying it back. I still say do what you have to do and I would try to stay away from as many loans as you can and if you do then just take the federal ones. Also from what it sounds like the people who get federal aid for food are basically eating rice and beans anyways. When I went to college I would just eat a can of pork and beans for lunch, etc. but I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'll keep you in my prayers too.

Last edited:

kmhbeauty

Thank you everyone, I am going to look into all these suggestions. If you think of anything else, please let me know. I am going to ask my CF doctor and the DOR soon I they have any suggestions. I am still going to apply for social security, it worth a try, once I leave my job.
Thank you again everyone!

kmhbeauty

I was just looking into unemployment. I might be able to quit and state I can no longer do my job because of medical reasons such as coughing up blood around the food and apply for unemployment. My company is very nice and might approve unemployment. They approved unemployment for someone they fired for stealing money from the company. I think they want to keep a good name in the town I live because they are one of the longest standing companies in that town.

static

Unemployment might be good. I'd just be cautious of what you have to pay back once you start working again, be it unemployment or disability.

cflawyer

Federal loans are not automatically forgiven if a person receives Social Security benefits. The person will have to complete forms obtained from the entity that provided the federal loan. The treating physician will typically have to compete a specific form indicating his or her medical opinion that the person will not be able to work at all due to their medical condition. Other information may also be requested. Some CF treating physicians will not agree that a person cannot work at all. If the person is working part time then the CF treating physician will not be able to attest that the person cannot work at all. However, if a person with CF cannot work at all due to their medical condition it may be possible to have a federal student loan discharged. Once a federal student loan is discharged due to disability it may not be possible to obtain a federal student loan in the future.

It is possible to be receiving Social Security benefits and to work part time. Social Security Disability benefit eligibility only requires the applicant be unable to engage in full time work. For those receiving Social Security Disability benefits, individuals are allowed to work part time as long as the person makes under $1,090 a month from part time work activity. For those receiving SSI benefits, the rules are different regarding how much money a person can make each month from part time work. There are also 2 SSI work programs that allow people receiving SSI benefits to work and receive benefits and Medicaid.

Social Security rules consider full time attendance at post secondary school as being the equivalent of full time work. If a person is only going to classes 2-3 hours a day then Social Security may not consider such school attendance to be attending school full time even if the college or vocational school considers the credit hours to be full time attendance. In some cases Social Security may find that the school attendance plus other activity may equal full time work. For example, attending school for 3 hours a day and working 4 hours a day will likely be considered to be the equivalent of full time work. If a student attends post secondary school (after high school) for 5-8 hours every day it is likely Social Security will consider such school attendance to be equivalent to full time work.

It is not possible to discuss all of the specific Social Security medical and non-medical eligibility criteria in this post. The above information is just an overview of some of the Social Security rules. It is important to obtain accurate information about Social Security eligibility. Recently, in Congressional hearings, Congress made it clear it wanted the Social Security Administration to scrutinize all applications for Social Security Disability benefits and for SSI benefits. Social Security is reviewing applications for benefits very closely.

For more information about Social Security eligibility criteria specific to a person with CF you can contact the CF Legal Information Hotline at 1-800-622-0385 or CFLegal@sufianpassamano.com. The CF Legal Information Hotline is sponsored by funding from the CF Foundation. The Director of the Hotline is Beth Sufian, an attorney who has practiced law for 25 years and is a 49 year old adult with CF. Beth founded and has operated the CF Legal information Hotline since 1998. All contacts are free and confidential.

There is a lot of misinformation about Social Security benefits on the Internet. I am posting this information because I am concerned that some people with CF are not receiving accurate information about Social Security benefits and are not able to obtain benefits because of this misinformation.

The CF Legal Information Hotline can provide accurate information on the Social Security rules so that no one with CF is denied benefits because they have incorrect information about Social Security eligibility requirements for benefits.

static

Federal loans are not automatically forgiven if a person receives Social Security benefits. The person will have to complete forms obtained from the entity that provided the federal loan. The treating physician will typically have to compete a specific form indicating his or her medical opinion that the person will not be able to work at all due to their medical condition. Other information may also be requested. Some CF treating physicians will not agree that a person cannot work at all. If the person is working part time then the CF treating physician will not be able to attest that the person cannot work at all. However, if a person with CF cannot work at all due to their medical condition it may be possible to have a federal student loan discharged. Once a federal student loan is discharged due to disability it may not be possible to obtain a federal student loan in the future.

It is possible to be receiving Social Security benefits and to work part time. Social Security Disability benefit eligibility only requires the applicant be unable to engage in full time work. For those receiving Social Security Disability benefits, individuals are allowed to work part time as long as the person makes under $1,090 a month from part time work activity. For those receiving SSI benefits, the rules are different regarding how much money a person can make each month from part time work. There are also 2 SSI work programs that allow people receiving SSI benefits to work and receive benefits and Medicaid.

Social Security rules consider full time attendance at post secondary school as being the equivalent of full time work. If a person is only going to classes 2-3 hours a day then Social Security may not consider such school attendance to be attending school full time even if the college or vocational school considers the credit hours to be full time attendance. In some cases Social Security may find that the school attendance plus other activity may equal full time work. For example, attending school for 3 hours a day and working 4 hours a day will likely be considered to be the equivalent of full time work. If a student attends post secondary school (after high school) for 5-8 hours every day it is likely Social Security will consider such school attendance to be equivalent to full time work.

It is not possible to discuss all of the specific Social Security medical and non-medical eligibility criteria in this post. The above information is just an overview of some of the Social Security rules. It is important to obtain accurate information about Social Security eligibility. Recently, in Congressional hearings, Congress made it clear it wanted the Social Security Administration to scrutinize all applications for Social Security Disability benefits and for SSI benefits. Social Security is reviewing applications for benefits very closely.

For more information about Social Security eligibility criteria specific to a person with CF you can contact the CF Legal Information Hotline at 1-800-622-0385 or CFLegal@sufianpassamano.com. The CF Legal Information Hotline is sponsored by funding from the CF Foundation. The Director of the Hotline is Beth Sufian, an attorney who has practiced law for 25 years and is a 49 year old adult with CF. Beth founded and has operated the CF Legal information Hotline since 1998. All contacts are free and confidential.

There is a lot of misinformation about Social Security benefits on the Internet. I am posting this information because I am concerned that some people with CF are not receiving accurate information about Social Security benefits and are not able to obtain benefits because of this misinformation.

The CF Legal Information Hotline can provide accurate information on the Social Security rules so that no one with CF is denied benefits because they have incorrect information about Social Security eligibility requirements for benefits.

Thank you this was very informative.

I was going to state this before but wanted to be careful about giving misinformation .

An agency I worked at hired people formally on social security who then transitioned to working full of part time. If I remember correctly they were given a trial period of a few months and if they continued to exceed the income cap they had their benefits suspended/cut off.

My question is do they have to repay social security for the time they were receiving benefits if they are succesful at the new job (making above the cap amount).

C

Cale Gilley

I used an advocate service that took 23% or something of back pay that your get when you get SSD so you don't pay them to do it all for you. I have low lung function though so I was a easy case also it took 8months from when started the application process to when I got approved and received my first payment. I think there is a disability advocate service from the cff I didn't know this when I applied I used Cardon Outreach disability advocates. You can always give them a call they can probably tell you if you'll be a successful case. Good Luck