Tobi Podhaler Denied

AnnaOrange

Hi all, I recently switched employers and insurance providers. My new insurance in Aetna and they have denied Tobi Podhaler. I am in the appeals process but it is not looking too encouraging. I think I will be forced to switch back to nebulized tobramycin...and thus up my treatment times by another 40-minutes per day. Has this happened to anyone else and if so have you successfully fought the Podhaler denial? PS The Specialty Pharmacy that I am now forced to deal with is CVS Caremark and they have been an absolute nightmare to deal with. Total incompetence that is almost comical if I was not so frustrated to the point of understanding why some people would just give up the insurance fight altogether.

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Anna, and welcome!!

So sorry you are dealing with this. :( One of the most frustrating aspects of CF for me is when my insurance tries to dictate what medicine (and how much) I get. Ugh. The 2 appeals I've done, I lost. One was over the dosage of Serevent. The recommended dose (based on studies) for CFers is 2 puffs twice a day. My insurance would only approve 1 puff twice a day. Ugh. The other was Zithromax. They would only approve 3 tablets for a 30 day supply. Um, no, the dosing for us is M-W-F.... Ugh.

I'm sorry I don't have anything more encouraging to say. Just wanted to say I know how you feel and it's beyond frustrating. I've also had similar dealings with a pharmacies, where it's so bad it would honestly be comical if it wasn't so infuriating.

Anyway, welcome again, and I really hope that you are able to get the Podhaler! I'll keep my fingers crossed! And maybe someone else has something more constructive to add. :)

Autumn 34 w/CF

vbs420

Just to add, for all the Americans who may be thinking we've got it easy in Canada... our health-care is not "free", and I too deal with incompetent pharmacies/pharmacists and have constant issues with drug insurance, coverage, denials, etc.

liveitup

I have Aetna too..it is a nightmare. I use Accredo specialty pharmacy for my Tobi Pod. It was a process...letter from the dr, etc. I don't even know what number to give you - they always put the infertility line on my meds and transfer me... It's kinda funny since I just had a baby 8 months ago, and fertility meds are the last thing on my mind. Anyway, best wishes! Let us know how things turn out!

nmw0615

I don't really have any advice, but I offer my misery with Aetna. They've been denying my sister an MRI for severe back pain and now they're denying coverage for a few days of my most recent hospital stay. They've given me the most trouble out of every insurance company I've ever been with.

BreeAlysia

I have Aetna and my pod haler was approved. I used their specialty pharmacy. What reason are they giving for the denial? I pretty much fought every month for even my nebulized tobi with my last insurance company. I did have to fight a bit for the Pod Haler. Some issue with the quantity. I suspect next month will also be a fight. But I can usually get it fixed after a bunch of phone calls. But it's really frustrating. Have you told your doctor? When mine get involved, it usually gets fixed.

AnnaOrange

Thanks, all! I am in the process of appealing but will need to start old school inhaled tobramycin in the interim. I plan to log all problems with tobramycin (voice loss, scratchy throat, etc.) and hopefully that will help with the claim. Hope everyone has a great weekend!