Toe Nail Fungus

Simba15

Have been battling nasty toe nail fungus. Tried everything under the sun including laser treatment. Just had my toe nail removed. Doc daid b/c of CF my feet are sweating more than most and with cotton socks, it is like a wet cloth sitting on my feet. He told me to wear moisture wicking socks only. Passing along the info.

Hoping my nail grows back!

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Where can I find those socks??

My feet sweat a lot too! I've always wondered why. Not only when it's hot but even at room temp they still seem to be soaked. I caught fungus a while back and the Dr. prescribed the clear nail polish with medicine in it. Took a long time to get rid of it!

Thanks for this piece of information. At the time I didn't seem to think the fungus had anything to do with excessive sweating. I originally thought I had caught it from my shower.

Hugs,

Simba15

Where can I find those socks??

My feet sweat a lot too! I've always wondered why. Not only when it's hot but even at room temp they still seem to be soaked. I caught fungus a while back and the Dr. prescribed the clear nail polish with medicine in it. Took a long time to get rid of it!

Thanks for this piece of information. At the time I didn't seem to think the fungus had anything to do with excessive sweating. I originally thought I had caught it from my shower.

Hugs,
I ordered mine off amazon. Under armor makes them too google "moisture wicking socks for women"

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
I shouldn't be saying this but I'm a glad to hear that I'm not dealing with this alone. Something unavoidable in late diagnosis of CF are all the issues that fit like a glove, in retrospect. Beyond a doubt, prevention is better than having to cure the fungus among us.

Candida, a specific yeast that loves our wet and relatively sticky membranes. Women are more often aware of the side effects of antibiotics when the balance of bacteria and yeast get off kilter and yeast overwhelms the vulva and another itch has to be treated.

Treating a nail fungus, Candida, is most effective with Diflucan or other other oral fungal medicine. The obvious downside is another imbalance in areas where fungus, bacteria and such are attempting a balance. Topical treatment of the feet and nails can be effective depending upon the severity of the infection. The advantage is localized treatment just like Monostat, a local treatment. It's tricky to get prescription oral treatment. Your doctor may have to be creative and order it for systemic Candida. It's not that uncommon in CFers.

I've been fighting foot fungus, toe fungus, jock itch, thrush, abdominal candida and nasal/sinus fungal overgrowth for ever. The doctor suggested that I go barefoot the summer when I was 6. My athletes foot was a mother's nightmare. The only thing available was torture in a bottle called NP 27. The main ingredient was alcohol and some horrible antifungal agent. The skin of my toes were split beyond the first joint. The only time I've ever seen my mother strike a stranger was my dramatic claims that I could see the bones in my feet if I spread my toes. The doctor spread two toes, I screamed and after he exclaimed something like 'God, you can see the bones!' My mother biffed him on the back of his head, saying something about his bed side manner.

Wicking socks need to send the water somewhere. I wear a thin wicking sock and a cotton/polyester over sock. I alternate shoes every other day, put OdorEater inserts in my shoes and change them monthly. I suggest Lotramine spray for your feet and shoes. A bunch of stuff involving diet, natural remedies and such is available and might be just the thing, I don't know anything about them. Keeping dry feet is not cheap, 2-3 pairs of shoes, extra socks and a mid day change of some or all the footwear's feels like heaven but it's another thing to maintain. The copper infused "Tommy Copper" wicking socks are not a gimmick here. Copper and sweat make copper sulfate, a good anti fungal.

Just a thought,

LL

Simba15

I was on every medicine known to man to stop the fungus. even had laser treatment on the toe nail ($500). Nothing worked. I laugh at your 2-3 pairs of shoes, LL. :) Women usually have about 25 pair or more. LOL.

suren

Have been battling nasty toe nail fungus. Tried everything under the sun including laser treatment. Just had my toe nail removed. Doc daid b/c of CF my feet are sweating more than most and with cotton socks, it is like a wet cloth sitting on my feet. He told me to wear moisture wicking socks only. Passing along the info.

Hoping my nail grows back!

I had awful toenail fungus, which wouldn't go away. But finally, I got rid of it by using JUBLIA. This is a new topical solution that really works. It is expensive and some health insurance plans don't cover it. Ask your doctor to prescribe Jublia.

Simba15

I had awful toenail fungus, which wouldn't go away. But finally, I got rid of it by using JUBLIA. This is a new topical solution that really works. It is expensive and some health insurance plans don't cover it. Ask your doctor to prescribe Jublia.

already tried it. according to my doc it has a 16% efficacy rating

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Come to think of it, I do have a certain Guy perspective. In my defense one area I can get into my feminine side is my appreciation for fashion. When it comes to shopping for clothes and shoes, I was like most boys, tagging along with my grandmother or mother up to the age when I didn't need supervision.

My grandmother was too predictable and about a generation behind in style. My mother was a good looking woman. More accurately, she was drop dead beautiful and style conscious down to the toes. At an age before I would have been embarrassed to be caught shopping with my mother, I developed an eye for women's styles and fashion, shoes in particular. On a shopping trip tagging along with my grandma, I had been less than enthusiastic because I could predict what she wanted, and it was to style that was decades old. I talked her into a peach colored outfit that was stylish and had all the matching accessories for the day. Including the purse, scarf and shoes we shot the afternoon and for a matching clothing ensemble, it wasn't over priced. She got so many compliments, I was wondering if she was putting me on. About twice a year we would go shopping for a special outfit. And you're right, women usually have a dozen or more pairs of shoes. There's also a lot of young people who have sports shoes, and not likely 2-3 pairs. Not all women are fashion conscious, or they are but can't afford to indulge in it as they might wish. These days my involvement with my wife's shoe choices is pretty limited. She wears those lovely orthotic shoes that come in brown, blue or black. I'm out of my depth and I concede.

LL