Transplant Center in Houston

BreeAlysia

Hello everyone, I am freaking out a little and I need some input. I am a teacher and my school district just emailed to announce that in January we're switching health plans from Blue Cross Blue Shield to Aetna. If I remember correctly from my old district, the University Transplant Center in San Antonio where I have started my initial visits, is not in Aetna's network. I was told by them that I have to go to the transplant center at Houston Methodist Hospital when I was on their plan previously. I've already had two visits in San Antonio and it's an hour and a half away from Austin where I live, while Houston is 2.5-3 hours away. Does anyone know anything about the Houston center? Is it okay? Any information would be most appreciated. I am very concerned about having to go somewhere that my pulmonologist didn't recommend.

ladybird

Hi Bree

I saw your nutshell and noticed your story is really similar to mine. I am 38 and was also diagnosed at age 30 after suffering many severe lung infections.

I don't know anything about Texas, but in California we have GHPP - the Genetically Handicapped Persons Program that provides income-based insurance to people with genetic diseases. It is good to have as secondary insurance. Maybe your state has something similar?

Also, maybe find out if you qualify for federal Medicaid or Medi-cal - or whatever its called in TX. Most university hospitals accept Medicaid and if they bill Medicaid they are not permitted to charge you personally for the uncovered portion, so you should be ok. You say you are a teacher, so your income may be low enough to qualify.

Good luck and take care!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Don't have personal experience, but a child from our area had a double lung transplant there a year ago. Several centers declined taking him, believe he had mycobacterium, had been very sick. They lived in an rv park, since there permanent residence is 1000+ miles away.