Transplant experiences

Rossigrl

I am being told that I should get started with prelim transplant testing, however, after seeing friends go through transplants, I am not so sure I even want one. Quality of life after is not great. Chances of survival are poor from what I have seen and the possibility of a 2nd transplant may be needed. Is it worth it?!!

kenna2

I would still recommend getting the testing done anyways. That way you have it done in case you change your mind. At anytime you can always change your mind about going through with the transplant. Better to be safe than sorry.

EnergyGal

It is all a matter of your own perspective

I am being told that I should get started with prelim transplant testing, however, after seeing friends go through transplants, I am not so sure I even want one. Quality of life after is not great. Chances of survival are poor from what I have seen and the possibility of a 2nd transplant may be needed. Is it worth it?!!

I have lived an extra 21 years that I would not have had with my transplant. Sure I have had some bumps in the road but not nearly as painful as living with CF at end stage. End Stage CF is not pleasant and you can only function for so many years living at end stage.

I created transplantbuddies.org back in 2000 four years after my first transplant then ten years later creating transplantfriends.com serving many transplant patients.

Why don't you visit and read our stories.

If you are a good candidate for a transplant you will do well. Transplantation is not a walk in the park and either is CF living.

It is all about quality of life. I chose to gamble and go for the unknown journey. Everyday we get up from bed is an unknown. There are risks in everything we do in life.

I hope this helps you make a decision.

Hope you make the decision that is right for you.