Transplant

jfarel

I am in the process of letting family and friends including my church know about my being evaluated and being listed for lung transplant.

I want them to pray for me and know what to expect. What do I tell them? Don't get me wrong I am really optimistic about this, but I want people to pray realize this serious deal and also that it is not a cure. I know it can make my life so much better, but it is such a big deal and I want people to understand that.

I've already had people come up to me who don't understand, and they're like "I hope you get that transplant soon." I want to get the tx but I also want to get better so I don't need to be listed. To me it is still a last resort.

Anyway, I'll be sending an email out to a lot of people and I just don't what to come off as being negative about it, but I also want them to understand the serious nature of this.

any thoughts?

jfarel

I am in the process of letting family and friends including my church know about my being evaluated and being listed for lung transplant.

I want them to pray for me and know what to expect. What do I tell them? Don't get me wrong I am really optimistic about this, but I want people to pray realize this serious deal and also that it is not a cure. I know it can make my life so much better, but it is such a big deal and I want people to understand that.

I've already had people come up to me who don't understand, and they're like "I hope you get that transplant soon." I want to get the tx but I also want to get better so I don't need to be listed. To me it is still a last resort.

Anyway, I'll be sending an email out to a lot of people and I just don't what to come off as being negative about it, but I also want them to understand the serious nature of this.

any thoughts?

jfarel

any thoughts?

jfarel

any thoughts?

jfarel

any thoughts?

coltsfan715

Just be honest.

Let them know you are willing to talk about it if they have questions and that you would rather them ask - if that is how you feel.

There is a LOT of misconception about transplant I have found and the way I handle it is just be telling people my situation and making them aware that I will answer almost any question they have if they ask them.

I told my parents separately and the few family members I felt I should tell I told. The rest I had my parents tell them because it was easier for me. Alot of my friends new - but alot of them didn't. Not because I didn't want to tell them but because I didn't want to say anything until I was listed - because I am superstitous and I didn't want to jinx it - and I wasn't sure if they would say I was too healthy or what have you.

Once I was listed I had full intentions of telling everyone but never got the chance. I wasn't listed for very long, so the people I didn't see didn't know until I was called and Kurt let them know.

I tried to put a positive spin on it and I will be honest I downplayed it alot. Mostly for myself than others I think though. I just told people that my lungs were damaged to badly to really recover any function - which was true. I had been trying for over 1.5 years to recover and was just continuing to get worse. I had talked to my docs and they thought I should be evaluated for a lung transplant. The hope was that I would be too healthy to need it but that I would not know until I was evaluated. If I did indeed need the transplant I would be listed and I would wait for the day I was called. It is not something that can be scheduled so it will be very spur of the moment, but that I wanted people to know.

You can just ask them to pray for you through that message or some similar message. I know it is hard to come out and say the words, but I found that as scared as I was of people's reactions I really should have given them more credit. Everyone I told reacted in the best possible way.

I know it is scary but I think you will be surprised at the response and the support you will get.

Good Luck and Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Just be honest.

Let them know you are willing to talk about it if they have questions and that you would rather them ask - if that is how you feel.

There is a LOT of misconception about transplant I have found and the way I handle it is just be telling people my situation and making them aware that I will answer almost any question they have if they ask them.

I told my parents separately and the few family members I felt I should tell I told. The rest I had my parents tell them because it was easier for me. Alot of my friends new - but alot of them didn't. Not because I didn't want to tell them but because I didn't want to say anything until I was listed - because I am superstitous and I didn't want to jinx it - and I wasn't sure if they would say I was too healthy or what have you.

Once I was listed I had full intentions of telling everyone but never got the chance. I wasn't listed for very long, so the people I didn't see didn't know until I was called and Kurt let them know.

I tried to put a positive spin on it and I will be honest I downplayed it alot. Mostly for myself than others I think though. I just told people that my lungs were damaged to badly to really recover any function - which was true. I had been trying for over 1.5 years to recover and was just continuing to get worse. I had talked to my docs and they thought I should be evaluated for a lung transplant. The hope was that I would be too healthy to need it but that I would not know until I was evaluated. If I did indeed need the transplant I would be listed and I would wait for the day I was called. It is not something that can be scheduled so it will be very spur of the moment, but that I wanted people to know.

You can just ask them to pray for you through that message or some similar message. I know it is hard to come out and say the words, but I found that as scared as I was of people's reactions I really should have given them more credit. Everyone I told reacted in the best possible way.

I know it is scary but I think you will be surprised at the response and the support you will get.

Good Luck and Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Just be honest.

Good Luck and Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Just be honest.

Good Luck and Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Just be honest.

Good Luck and Take Care,
Lindsey