Travel and sinus rinses

Beccamom

I travel frequently and have a good system for my vest, neb meds etc. What I struggle with is how to travel and do sinus rinses. I use the neilmed sinus rinse bottle hypertonic saline and I put an antibiotic in the sinus rinse, so I really shouldn't miss a day.

I know you are supposed to use distiller water. I have bought this when I arrive for most trips, but I am planning a trip with 3 in country commuter flights and no rental car.

Can I use water for tea? I could order tea at dinner and bring a sealed bottle to put the water in to cool and then do the sinus rinse that night?

Any advice?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
IMO, pack a little hot pot or one of those little individual water boilers. Those metal things you stick in a cup of water to boil.

CFSanDiego

This is a bit pricy, but I admittedly do it when in vacation with my daughter because I want to have as little work to do as possible. Neilmed has a package of individual use saline ampules for children. It takes almost an entire pack of them to fill up one neilmed sinus rinse b

CFSanDiego

Sorry, posting from an iphone...This is a bit pricy, but I admittedly do it when in vacation with my daughter because I want to have as little work to do as possible. Neilmed has a package of individual use saline ampules for children. It takes almost an entire pack of them to fill up one neilmed sinus rinse bottle and they run 7.99 per pack...

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I don't know any re the process, so if distilled water is fine (I didn't think distilled water was sterile and assuming it is okay and you don't need to boil it,) I'd call the hotel and ask to talk with the manager and explain that you are arriving on X date and have a medical condition which requires you to have an antibitic sinus rinse using distilled water and ask whether he can arrange for a new sealed bottle of distilled water to be delivered to your room. If I were a manager, I'd do that in a heartbeat . . . and I'd think housekeeping should have those for their irons, etc. If not, then I agree re the mini hotpot or purchasing it.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I was under the assumption that distilled water wasn't kosher, that one needed sterile water for sinus rinses, which unless you boil your own, purchasing sterile water can be quite spendy, plus a pain to lug around.

Beccamom

Thank you all for posting. How do you all boil the water for daly use. Can I boil a bunch and then fill a pitcher for a week or would bacteria grow again? I had the metal thing to boil water way back in college and that seems easy to transport. What do you pack to boil the water in and how long should the water be boiled for?

How do you cool the water? Could I boil at night and let it cool till morning?

Thanks
Jen

L

ladeedah

We were informed at my daughter's CF clinic that bacteria can also grow in distilled water. I think the best advice is to boil whatever water you use ... either tap or distilled. I just boil about a cup of distilled water daily for my daughter's nose wash. She also uses the NeilMed bottle and their saline packets. I use a small sauce pan that I ONLY use for her nose wash. It only takes a few minutes each day to prepare her a more sterile nose wash. The water only has to boil for a few minutes ... and it cools rather quickly, so she could use it right away or warm again in microwave. When my daughter was traveling she found this system easy to travel with. You suggested ordering water served with a tea bag ... I would first inquire if the water they serve you was first boiled. If they serve it to you from a coffee machine then it may not be clean enough to flush your sinuses with. Good Luck.