Travel question (a little wierd)

Rebjane

Super Moderator
So we are going on a trip to across the country . Getting ready packing, daughter with CF has a slight cold. Few coughs, did complain of a sore throat this am, went away with drinking fluids. If we were staying home I would not be concerned at all; would just keep an eye on her. But; we will be flying etc. I was wondering if it would be really weird if I packed my stethescope in my luggage; just in case things go south. I do listen to her sometimes(I'm a nurse). Wondering ii would cause a problem with screening for security. THough I will be bringing her VEST, nebs, meds compressor...Is it silly? Kind of like if I bring it I won't need it.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I don't see a problem with it. I would just say it is medically necessary if they ask about it. Pack it together with all of her other medical things and I don't think they will ask. They will assume it's just another medical need. I had some weird stuff in my medical bag a few months ago when we flew! Syringes, tape, TONS of meds, an extra G-tube.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Sorry he's not feeling well...that has to add a hiccup to the plans. I can't imagine it being a problem. I'd just stick it in with the vest and it will make perfect sense to the security folks. Bon voyage!

Twistofchaos

Keep it in your carry on luggage. Here in Europe they barely even check that. I've never been asked about my big bags of medicine, strange equipment and dodgy supplement powders.

But to be on the safe side throw in a big copper cone, two cups on a rope and a 200lb 1890's telegraph machine so they'll believe you are going to a communications convention! #workseverytimehalfthetime #yolo

T

The Dot

So we are going on a trip to across the country . Getting ready packing, daughter with CF has a slight cold. Few coughs, did complain of a sore throat this am, went away with drinking fluids. If we were staying home I would not be concerned at all; would just keep an eye on her. But; we will be flying etc. I was wondering if it would be really weird if I packed my stethescope in my luggage; just in case things go south. I do listen to her sometimes(I'm a nurse). Wondering ii would cause a problem with screening for security. THough I will be bringing her VEST, nebs, meds compressor...Is it silly? Kind of like if I bring it I won't need it.

I love chaos' reply - l0l!!! Personally - I only have my work stethoscope, and it never comes home with me (I'm an RT). Any time I've needed to listen to my kids or grandkids, I just laid my head against the different areas of the chest and listened. Works every time for me!

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Keep it in your carry on luggage. Here in Europe they barely even check that. o

They barely check your carry on!? They put our carry ons though an X-ray scanner in the US! They make us take off belts, jewelry and take out everything in our pockets to scan us. Such a pain but I know they are protecting our country.

Twistofchaos

They barely check your carry on!? They put our carry ons though an X-ray scanner in the US! They make us take off belts, jewelry and take out everything in our pockets to scan us. Such a pain but I know they are protecting our country.

Sorry! I got the terms confused but I ment checked baggage ofcourse, not handluggage. Hope Rebjane hasn't left yet.

We and our handluggage get a propper scanning in Europe as well so don't put the drugs in there, put them in the stethoscope.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
:) Ah the joys of flying...Our flight got canceled(of course after we showed up after waking up at 4am)...Rescheduled for later today....Oy...I just threw the stethoscope in her med bag. I realize it does seem ridiculous. She will tell me when she it tight and wheezy...Once when she was really little she was wheezing to "Beat the band" Didn't even need a stethoscope to hear it. I'm just her mom and I want everything to go ok. She does have a cough but we'll just see how it goes...Think healthy thoughts!!!

NCkat

I carried a doctor's note, and had to use it through security screening for electrolyte water. I know it's different with a stethoscope, but to be safe and avoid a hassle I would carry a doctor's note.

Angelo

I get a letter from my doctor on his letterhead statement medical necessity for my meds and equipment, esp the portable O2 concentrator. the letter also needs to state that I (patient or caretaker) knows how to operate the machine and knows how to troubleshoot any problems or alarms on the equipment. I think it is FAA that requires this, although, I have been questioned on this only once, and that was an international flight. I just got such a letter yesterday for an upcoming trip.