Traveling with vest

tysmama

I'm just checking to see what everyone else's experience was flying with the vest machine in tow. It is for my 3 yr old, and wonder what obstacles I might face with TSA or the airport. I will be flying with my 3 and 5 yr old so I need to be prepared on what to expect.

nmw0615

I've never really had a problem. After is go through the security checkpoint, they usually pull me off to the side, run a quick test to make sure it doesn't have bomb making residue, and then they let me go on my way. I always take a doctors note to explain what they vest is, one to explain my nebulizer, and one to explain my meds.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Never check it -- it's medical equipment, so it's exempt from carryone allowance. It does fit in most overhead compartments. I have had a few smaller planes where we've had to place it under the seat in front of DS. I've heard a couple people have had issues with customer service trying to refuse it as a carry on, but stand your ground. We've never had issues. Allow a little extra time to go thru tsa, usually they take it out and scan it -- I've had more issues with the nebulizer, sometimes they've taken us aside, scanned us, asked us to plug it in and turn it on...

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Agree with the others. Do not check the VEST. We have always carried it on. I had our daughter's CF doc write a medical necessity letter for the airline re carrying on the vest; nebs meds etc. Never needed to pull it out though. Security will make us pull out the VEST scan it and they are usually very nice and understanding. We also carry on her meds, make sure they are labeled with original script if they are liquids... They have even scanned my kids stuffed animals.(Guess we look like trouble makers:)

One time we were traveling and the flight attendent came up to us and asked who had CF; she saw the VEST in the storage bin. I said my daughter did and she told me her son had CF. She was so nice to us and would not let anyone store anything near our VEST...Small world.

Beccamom

I have traveled frequently with my a hill Rom vest and I suggest boarding when they say anyone needing special assistance and say you need assistance getting the medical equipment into thee overhead bin. Only once I had to assemble the vest. I also put the compressor in a bag and vest in a bag inside the roller board suitcase in case it doesn't fit in the overhead bin of a commuter plane. This way they fit under the seat in front of us and don't touch the floor of thee plane.

Agree with the others. Do not check the VEST. We have always carried it on. I had our daughter's CF doc write a medical necessity letter for the airline re carrying on the vest; nebs meds etc. Never needed to pull it out though. Security will make us pull out the VEST scan it and they are usually very nice and understanding. We also carry on her meds, make sure they are labeled with original script if they are liquids... They have even scanned my kids stuffed animals.(Guess we look like trouble makers:)

One time we were traveling and the flight attendent came up to us and asked who had CF; she saw the VEST in the storage bin. I said my daughter did and she told me her son had CF. She was so nice to us and would not let anyone store anything near our VEST...Small world.

Justinsmama

I agree with Beccamom. We have used the early boarding and have explained that we will not check it, and we have had no problems. As a matter of fact, we met the Panthers coach when he overheard my husband and then 8 year old son explain his vest. He let us take a picture with Justin and offered to donate items for our CF gala. People both with the airlines and passengers have been really nice.