Treating MRSA

static

<P>What medications, if any, are currently being used to treat MRSA that can be taken for an extended period of time? </P>
<P> </P>
<P>Besides the usual CF mucus stuff, the only thing I really ever culture continuously is MRSA. </P>
<P> </P>
<P>I know at one point they were doing a trial on inhaled bactrim, is that still going on? </P>
<P> </P>
<P>Any feedback would be appreciated. </P>

static

<P>What medications, if any, are currently being used to treat MRSA that can be taken for an extended period of time? </P>
<P></P>
<P>Besides the usual CF mucus stuff, the only thing I really ever culture continuously is MRSA. </P>
<P></P>
<P>I know at one point they were doing a trial on inhaled bactrim, is that still going on? </P>
<P></P>
<P>Any feedback would be appreciated. </P>

static

<P></P>
<P></P>
<P></P>
<P>Any feedback would be appreciated. <BR></P>

Havoc

It depends on what your MRSA is still sensitive to. I would need more information to be able to answer your question.

Havoc

It depends on what your MRSA is still sensitive to. I would need more information to be able to answer your question.

Havoc

roseandlilli

My daughter has used oral Linezolid, intravenous Vanco, and inhaled Vanco. The only one that she had an issue with was inhaled Vanco. It caused her to have a lot of bronchiospams. Vanco cannot be taken long-term due to systemic issues that it can cause. It is a narrow spectrum antibiotic and it has a high toxicity level (which has been reduced over time because of the damage it causes to the kidneys, nervous system, and liver). Inhaled Vanco does not cause the systemic problems that are seen with systemic vanco. I'm not sure about inhaled Bactrim.

roseandlilli

My daughter has used oral Linezolid, intravenous Vanco, and inhaled Vanco. The only one that she had an issue with was inhaled Vanco. It caused her to have a lot of bronchiospams. Vanco cannot be taken long-term due to systemic issues that it can cause. It is a narrow spectrum antibiotic and it has a high toxicity level (which has been reduced over time because of the damage it causes to the kidneys, nervous system, and liver). Inhaled Vanco does not cause the systemic problems that are seen with systemic vanco. I'm not sure about inhaled Bactrim.

roseandlilli

static

<P>Since my doctor has been hesitant to treat my MRSA and I normally don't go on antibiotics until I absolutely HAVE to anyways it is still sensitive to most medications. The problem is when I get off the medication I start having the usual increased cough, thicker sputum, exc. problems again, sometimes as soon as a few days later.  </P>
<P> </P>
<P>I have been treated with linezoid before (Think the other name for it is zyvox) but it gave me a really bad rash so that one is out for now. </P>
<P> </P>
<P>Whenever I am admitted I am always given vanco and it seems to work for the hospital stays, but then grows back to normal/high levels a few months later. So far given intravenously this one has the best track record of keeping MRSA at bay longer after I stop taking it, and thankfully I haven't experienced any of the side effects yet. I'm just not sure if I'm ready for home IV's just yet. </P>
<P> </P>
<P>I didn't even know they had inhaled vanco, but that could be an option. </P>
<P> </P>
<P>Since I think we have most of the western medical side covered (please let me know if I left out any), what about herbal treatment? I remember seeing a post a long time ago about tumeric but then someone said it caused cancer or something (at least I think that's why I didn't try it). </P>
<P> </P>
<P>Thanks in advance for all your input. </P>
<P> </P>
<P> </P>

static

<P>Since my doctor has been hesitant to treat my MRSA and I normally don't go on antibiotics until I absolutely HAVE to anyways it is still sensitive to most medications. The problem is when I get off the medicationI start havingthe usual increased cough,thicker sputum, exc. problems again, sometimes as soon as a few days later. </P>
<P></P>
<P>I have been treated with linezoid before (Think the other name for it is zyvox)but it gave me a really bad rash so that one is out for now. </P>
<P></P>
<P>Whenever I am admitted I am always given vanco and it seems to work for the hospital stays, but then grows back to normal/high levels a few months later.So far givenintravenously this one has the best trackrecord of keeping MRSA at bay longer after I stop taking it, and thankfully I haven't experienced any of the side effects yet. I'm just not sure if I'm ready for home IV's just yet. </P>
<P></P>
<P></P>
<P>Since I think we have most of the western medical side covered (please let me know if I left out any), what about herbal treatment? I remember seeing a post a long time ago about tumeric but then someone said it caused cancer or something (at least I think that's why I didn't try it). </P>
<P></P>
<P>Thanks in advance for all your input. </P>
<P></P>
<P></P>

static

<P>Since my doctor has been hesitant to treat my MRSA and I normally don't go on antibiotics until I absolutely HAVE to anyways it is still sensitive to most medications. The problem is when I get off the medicationI start havingthe usual increased cough,thicker sputum, exc. problems again, sometimes as soon as a few days later. </P>
<P></P>
<P>I have been treated with linezoid before (Think the other name for it is zyvox)but it gave me a really bad rash so that one is out for now. </P>
<P></P>
<P>Whenever I am admitted I am always given vanco and it seems to work for the hospital stays, but then grows back to normal/high levels a few months later.So far givenintravenously this one has the best trackrecord of keeping MRSA at bay longer after I stop taking it, and thankfully I haven't experienced any of the side effects yet. I'm just not sure if I'm ready for home IV's just yet. </P>
<P></P>
<P></P>
<P></P>
<P>Thanks in advance for all your input. <BR></P>
<P></P>
<P><BR></P>

T

TleighsHusband

Tiffany had a lot of MRSA issues -- at first just in the sinuses chronically then it started showing up in the lungs. We would beat it down and then it would come back. The last couple of years it was only able to be kept at bay for a couple months at a time. She also dealt with a couple of episodes of MRSA in the blood which was pretty scary. Vanco was the primary treatment and we did a lot of home I.V.s. That really made life easier on her. If you have to start doing more of the I.V.s especially at home, you may consider a port -- it was one of the best decision we made to have her get one although it was also a hard decision. She did some of the tumeric but I did not notice any help from it. She did NAC that didn't attack MRSA specifically but did help clear out the mucous and clean up the breeding ground for the MRSA.

T

TleighsHusband

Tiffany had a lot of MRSA issues -- at first just in the sinuses chronically then it started showing up in the lungs. We would beat it down and then it would come back. The last couple of years it was only able to be kept at bay for a couple months at a time. She also dealt with a couple of episodes of MRSA in the blood which was pretty scary. Vanco was the primary treatment and we did a lot of home I.V.s. That really made life easier on her. If you have to start doing more of the I.V.s especially at home, you may consider a port -- it was one of the best decision we made to have her get one although it was also a hard decision. She did some of the tumeric but I did not notice any help from it. She did NAC that didn't attack MRSA specifically but did help clear out the mucous and clean up the breeding ground for the MRSA.

T

TleighsHusband

Havoc

A few years ago, I ended up getting MRSA in my sinuses. It took 3 surgeries and about 2 months of IV vanc to get rid of it. I've now had 5 MRSA-free cultures. I would absolutely not screw around with this. If it were me, I would hit it hard with IV vanc. It's a total pain in the butt, however the longer you have that infection the more damage your lungs are receiving.

Like you, when I would do oral antibiotics, as soon as I finished, the symptoms would return. Sometimes orals are just not enough. I would ask your doc to step up the game a bit and put you on IV vanc for at least a few weeks, then re-evaluate the situation. If you have to request a consult from an Infectious Disease doc, they are usually pretty aggressive with treatment.

Havoc

A few years ago, I ended up getting MRSA in my sinuses. It took 3 surgeries and about 2 months of IV vanc to get rid of it. I've now had 5 MRSA-free cultures. I would absolutely not screw around with this. If it were me, I would hit it hard with IV vanc. It's a total pain in the butt, however the longer you have that infection the more damage your lungs are receiving.

Like you, when I would do oral antibiotics, as soon as I finished, the symptoms would return. Sometimes orals are just not enough. I would ask your doc to step up the game a bit and put you on IV vanc for at least a few weeks, then re-evaluate the situation. If you have to request a consult from an Infectious Disease doc, they are usually pretty aggressive with treatment.

Havoc

<br />
<br />Like you, when I would do oral antibiotics, as soon as I finished, the symptoms would return. Sometimes orals are just not enough. I would ask your doc to step up the game a bit and put you on IV vanc for at least a few weeks, then re-evaluate the situation. If you have to request a consult from an Infectious Disease doc, they are usually pretty aggressive with treatment.

carmick

Unfortunately, there is no good MRSA maintenance drug. There is some anecdotal support, but not much clincal data to support it, that long term use of a tetracycline antibiotic like doxycycline or minocycline will have some effect in suppressing MRSA if you are colonized. My infectious disease doc has been considering having me try it since I also pretty much only colonize MRSA (and a mold, but it's well controlled) so we know that's what is causing my increasingly frequent exacerbations.

If you have tried vanco before and still end up sick again pretty quickly, you can try telavancin. It's the next-step fancy new version of vanco. We are try it instead of vanco to see if we can slow down the rate at which I exacerbate (5 hospitalization so far this year, up from 4/year for the previous 3 years and 1 total before that). I finished up a course about a week ago; hopefully in a couple months I'll be able say say that I'm still feeling good.

carmick

Unfortunately, there is no good MRSA maintenance drug. There is some anecdotal support, but not much clincal data to support it, that long term use of a tetracycline antibiotic like doxycycline or minocycline will have some effect in suppressing MRSA if you are colonized. My infectious disease doc has been considering having me try it since I also pretty much only colonize MRSA (and a mold, but it's well controlled) so we know that's what is causing my increasingly frequent exacerbations.

If you have tried vanco before and still end up sick again pretty quickly, you can try telavancin. It's the next-step fancy new version of vanco. We are try it instead of vanco to see if we can slow down the rate at which I exacerbate (5 hospitalization so far this year, up from 4/year for the previous 3 years and 1 total before that). I finished up a course about a week ago; hopefully in a couple months I'll be able say say that I'm still feeling good.