tri verus quad flu shot

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Flu shots are available now. I discovered a couple years ago you can get one that covers 3 or 4 strains, but you need to ask for the 4-strain one. Probably a "marketing" gimmick, but figured the broader protection the better.
The "Quadivalent vaccines protect against 4 strains of the flu, A/H3N2, A/H1N1, and 2 strains of influenza B."
The trivalent ones only cover 1 strain of influenza B.
I always call ahead to see if the pharamacy has the quadivalent one.
fwiw

triples15

Super Moderator
Flu shots are available now. I discovered a couple years ago you can get one that covers 3 or 4 strains, but you need to ask for the 4-strain one. Probably a "marketing" gimmick, but figured the broader protection the better.
The "Quadivalent vaccines protect against 4 strains of the flu, A/H3N2, A/H1N1, and 2 strains of influenza B."
The trivalent ones only cover 1 strain of influenza B.
I always call ahead to see if the pharamacy has the quadivalent one.
fwiw

Great advice! I usually get my flu shot at clinic, but last year I got it at a CVS minute clinic and I made sure I got the QUAD. As you said, why not be as covered as possible! :)

Liza

There's a .gov website that will tell you which pharmacies and what they have. Just do a search for the quadravalent flu shot and it should come up within the first two or three suggestions. Then of course call up the pharmacy you want and check if they have them in yet. That way you can select one that is in your insurance network. Our entire family get the quadravalent now. I think this will get you there. Oops, it gave my whole address, let me try again. http://vaccine.healthmap.org/

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Picking up my daughter's meds @ the pharmacy today and they were asking about flu shots. At the pharmacy, they do have the some quad vaccine. My daughter is scheduled for a CF appointment next week so I was going to ask about it. For where we live regionally, I thought it was early for a flu shot. I usually aim for late Oct first day of Nov. Pharmacist said flu is already circulating according to the CDC; the B strain

I will double check with my daughter's CF doc but the pharmacist put a quad shot aside with my daughter's name on it. (said they go quick).. Sometimes people are thoughtful...Saw me walking in the door(know my daughter by name) and went the extra mile.

AttyMom

Thanks for the info. I found a pharmacy near me and got the Quad shot. Had never heard of it before your post.