Trouble shooting

carey905

Hi everyone,
My son has always been a puker, but when he started walking the vomiting decreased greatly. Well lately it has increased but only during certain times. My son has a g-tube and gets four bolus feed a day and most days after his third feed he vomits.
Before the vomiting started up again we had switched his neb and vest to before his third feed, but know it doesn't matter what time he get the vest and neb, he vomits after that third feeding.
he also gets his prilosec before the third feed.
A while back he starting doing this and we switched his prilosec from before his fourth feed to before his third feed and that stopped the vomiting.
Now I have no idea what we can do to stop this, but spending 35-45 minutes doing a feeding to have him vomit the entire feeding up in less then 30 seconds is quite disheartening.
I hope someone might have some ideas.
TIA
Carey

carey905

Hi everyone,
My son has always been a puker, but when he started walking the vomiting decreased greatly. Well lately it has increased but only during certain times. My son has a g-tube and gets four bolus feed a day and most days after his third feed he vomits.
Before the vomiting started up again we had switched his neb and vest to before his third feed, but know it doesn't matter what time he get the vest and neb, he vomits after that third feeding.
A while back he starting doing this and we switched his prilosec from before his fourth feed to before his third feed and that stopped the vomiting.
Now I have no idea what we can do to stop this, but spending 35-45 minutes doing a feeding to have him vomit the entire feeding up in less then 30 seconds is quite disheartening.
TIA
Carey

carey905

Hi everyone,
TIA
Carey

carey905

Hi everyone,
TIA
Carey

carey905

Hi everyone,
TIA
Carey

pjspiegle

Have you considered doing night feeds instead of bolus's? You can set the rate low enough to do the entire feed over a 10-12 hour period while he is sleeping instead of the bolus's which helped Nathan when he was younger. Since it is going overnight at a slow rate it did not interrupt his sleep, he could hold everything in easier, and he just felt better. Plus it is my understanding that CFers gain more from a slow overnight feed rather than bolus's anyways. It might be worth a try. Just a thought.

pjspiegle

Have you considered doing night feeds instead of bolus's? You can set the rate low enough to do the entire feed over a 10-12 hour period while he is sleeping instead of the bolus's which helped Nathan when he was younger. Since it is going overnight at a slow rate it did not interrupt his sleep, he could hold everything in easier, and he just felt better. Plus it is my understanding that CFers gain more from a slow overnight feed rather than bolus's anyways. It might be worth a try. Just a thought.

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

izemmom

I assume that you are using the same formula for all three feeds. But, it might be that too much of a certain formula just doesn't agree with him. My daughter can not tolerate large amounts of Resource Just for Kids, but she does fine with Pediasure.

We also found that the timing of giving her the liquid vitamin contributed to vomiting, too. She hated taking the liquid vitamin orally at meal times, so we started to put in in her tube at night. This made her vomit almost every morning. We solved that problem by crushing up the chewable vitamins and giving it to her on applesause. No more vomiting (unless she is coughing, then sometimes she will throw up a feeding).

I know exactly how frustrating it is to have them throw up. Kinds of shoots the purpose of the tube. I hope you get it figured out!

izemmom

I assume that you are using the same formula for all three feeds. But, it might be that too much of a certain formula just doesn't agree with him. My daughter can not tolerate large amounts of Resource Just for Kids, but she does fine with Pediasure.

We also found that the timing of giving her the liquid vitamin contributed to vomiting, too. She hated taking the liquid vitamin orally at meal times, so we started to put in in her tube at night. This made her vomit almost every morning. We solved that problem by crushing up the chewable vitamins and giving it to her on applesause. No more vomiting (unless she is coughing, then sometimes she will throw up a feeding).

I know exactly how frustrating it is to have them throw up. Kinds of shoots the purpose of the tube. I hope you get it figured out!

izemmom

izemmom

izemmom

carey905

First of all thanks for the replies...

pjspiegle -
When my son was in the hospital we did continual feeds and he did terrible on them. But at that time he was on Pregestimil and it was causing sevear delayed emptying of the stomach. We switched his formula to Elecare and bolus feeds and he did much better. He is older now so maybe it is something to look back into.

izemom -
It's funny that you say that your daughter does not do well on Resource. My son is on Peptamen Jr, and did not do to well until we started mixing it with Pediasure. Now we do a 50/50 mix and I mix his vitamins directly into the mixture. My son was also vomiting with his vitamins, and this is the best way we have found to give it to him.

The last two days we have decreased the amount he gets fed at that third feeding from 9 1/2 ounces to 8 ounces and so far so good.
I also wonder if his Prilosec needs to be increased. It has been the same dose since the summer.

thanks again for the replies
Carey

carey905

pjspiegle -
When my son was in the hospital we did continual feeds and he did terrible on them. But at that time he was on Pregestimil and it was causing sevear delayed emptying of the stomach. We switched his formula to Elecare and bolus feeds and he did much better. He is older now so maybe it is something to look back into.

izemom -
It's funny that you say that your daughter does not do well on Resource. My son is on Peptamen Jr, and did not do to well until we started mixing it with Pediasure. Now we do a 50/50 mix and I mix his vitamins directly into the mixture. My son was also vomiting with his vitamins, and this is the best way we have found to give it to him.

The last two days we have decreased the amount he gets fed at that third feeding from 9 1/2 ounces to 8 ounces and so far so good.
I also wonder if his Prilosec needs to be increased. It has been the same dose since the summer.

Carey

carey905

pjspiegle -

izemom -

Carey

carey905

pjspiegle -

izemom -

Carey

carey905

pjspiegle -

izemom -

Carey