Trouble Shooting...

Kay

I have had a g-tube for about a month now and have had problems like no other. At first I couldn't tolerate the feeds so I have had to switch formulas 3 times but now I am doing well, but the rate is still pretty low I am only at 75 ml/hr. My biggest problem is that it won't stay down!! I have a mic-key and they already had to replace one of them with a larger one. Because it won't stay down it isn't really healing and oozing out a lot. Did anyone else have these problems and have any tips of how to keep it down? I tried taping it but the GI nurse said that was too much tape and it didn't seem to be absorbing what was coming out anyways, but now with less tape but absorbant sponges it is popping out again. Nothing seems to work can anyone help??? Please I am desperate I need to start putting on the pounds since I just found out I am listed for a transplant and I am somewhat near the top of the list...number 5!!! Thanks

Jane

Digital opinion leader
What do you mean by "popping out", just sticking out away from the skin?

My son's does this too and it leaks as well. As a result it is usually very red and sore. Keeping a bandaid on it makes it worse (moisture). We found keeping a split sponge gauze on it and using Stomahesive Powder to dry it helps. The GI nurse was the one to give us the stomahesive.

Good luck with your weight gain.