Troubling and frightening times

Mockingbird

There are many horrible things which happen in this world. If people are not being destroyed by a hurricane or a tsunami, they are being slaughtered by war. Children are captured by pedophiles, raped, and murdered. Floods, ethnic cleansing, earthquakes, economical collapse, terrorists, famine, plagues, whether from nature or from man, the list goes on and on.

How can we possibly believe in God, when the world is such a terrible place? God created the world, didn't he? God did create the world, but the world in which we live is not the world which God created.

When God first created the world, it was good. There was no toil and suffering, but only life. It did not rain when the world was first created, bu a mist would rise from the ground and give water to the surface. This world was not created for God, but for us, and so God gave us dominion over it. Of course, to be given dominion over the earth means that we were also given the ability to corrupt it, and it did not take long before we ate from the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, thereby cursing ourselves to become slaves of sin. Because of this, the world became cursed, and transformed into the world we know today.

Still, we ask, "Where is God?" Surely God has the power to stop the wars of the Middle East, doesn't he? Surely He could have prevented hurricane Katrina, couldn't He? Surely He could have prevented any number of disasters, but to what purpose? For, even if God were to take all the pain and suffering from this world, we would still be cursed by sin. The answer is, God is just behind us, waiting with open arms.

This world is no longer good. Its only products are pain and destruction. When a house is on fire, do the tenants remain inside, or do they run for the nearest exit? When a ship is sinking, does the crew remain on board, or do they jump into the life boats? So then why, when we are surrounded by death, why do people not turn to their only salvation, which is God?

Again, what sense is there in cursing this world and cursing God in the same breath? For the world is evil and God is good, so what good is there if we curse the darkness yet remain in darkness? Turn to God, however, and we become beacons of light; not only are we ourselves saved, but we also become instruments of God in which good is brought back into the world.

Therefore, when I am faced with such distress as seen in the world today, it is only encouragement for me to shine all the brighter.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>"Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord *****, through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God. And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
"For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates His love for us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more, then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only this, but we also exult in God through our Lord Jesus//Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation.
"Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who is to come.
"But the free gift is not like the transgression. For if by the transgression of the one many died, much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus//Christ, abound to the many. He gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned; for on the one hand the judgement arose from one transgression resulting in condemnation, but on the other hand the free gift arose from many transgressions resulting in justification. For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus//Christ.
"So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted in life to all men. For as through one mans disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous. The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus//Christ our Lord."
Romans 5

"Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever."
1 John 2:15-17

"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world."
John 16:33

"Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, 'I am the Light of the world; he who follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the Light of life.' "
John 8:12

"This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
1 John 1:5-9

"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, the new things have come. Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."
2 Corinthians 5:16-21

"The Lord is my light and salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the defense of my life;
Whom shall I dread?
When evildoers came upon me to devour my flesh,
My adversaries and my enemies, they stumbled and fell.
Though a host encamp against me,
My heart will not fear;
Though war rise against me,
In spite of this I shall be confident.

One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I sahll seek;
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the Lord
And to meditate in His temple.
For in the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle;
In the secret place of His tent He will hide me;
He will lift me up on a rock.
And now my head will be lifted up above my enemies around me,
And I will offer in His tent sacrifices with shouts of joy;
I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the Lord.

Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice,
And be gracious to me and answer me.
When you said, 'Seek My face,' my heart said to You,
'Your face, O Lord, I shall seek.'
Do not hide your face from me,
Do not turn your servant away in anger;
You have been my help;
Do not abandon me nor forsake me,
O God of my salvation!
For my father and my mother have forsaken me,
But the Lord will take me up.

Teach me your way, O Lord,
And lead me in a level path
Because of my foes.
Do not deliver me over to the desire of my adversaries,
For false witnesses have risen up against me,
And such as breathe out violence.
I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord
In the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
Be strong and let your heart take courage;
Yes, wait for the Lord."
Psalm 27</end quote></div>