Tumeric

Nightwriter

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>static</b></i>

Wait so your MRSA went away? Do you believe it to be because of the tumeric, NAC (btw what is NAC?), or just sensitivity being picked up again to the other antibiotics?

I've been on Vancro (in the hospital), Zyvox (allergic to something in it, gives me a really bad rash), septra, and cipro but I've been unable to lose it for an extended period of time. Vancro seems to work the best but I've only gotten that so far in hospital settings.

I don't want cancer though; that would suck.</end quote>

Hi Static,

It would appear as though my MRSA has disappeared. At least I can say I never cultured it again. Or Staph for that matter which I used to culture often, many years ago.

I stopped culturing P.A. also for about 2 years (even though I am colonizied and have cultured mucoid P.A.), but it came back (one strain) when I got the Swine Flu which by the way, according to my doctor, can trigger things like P.A. to grow again.

I don't really know which of the things that I added caused the P.A. and MRSA to disappear. Maybe all of them. In addition, without treating the asthma component of CF, I wouldn't have been able to clear the mucus.

In other words, by following an anti-inflammatory regimen, lifestyle, etc. the stage would not have been set for these things to work.

BTW as mentioned the swine flu triggered my P.A.'s return -and I did treat it. A few months ago, it still appeared in a culture, but I feel fine, so it will be interesting to see if it disappears again. The question you are wondering is would I add back the Tumeric? The answer would be yes, if the P.A. makes me sick again -- and for a short term. Or 3 weeks on, one week off.

The problem with supplements is that they haven't been tested like prescription drugs. So how much to take? How often? Long term effects?

My doctor did tell me about the one study that said that turmeric may cause cancer long term. I'm sure it was a study with rats given very high doses. So I had been taking the turmeric capsules for about 2 years and stopped because my doctor asked me to.

Perhaps there will be other studies in the future. In the one the CF Foundation conducted, it that found that turmeric did not have much effect, but they used a fairly low dosage. I took a much higher dosage and may have reaped a benefit from it. I don't know.

You asked about NAC. It is something that many people here take. I do believe it has helped me a lot.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/treatments/Therapies/AlternativeTherapies/Antioxidants/">http://www.cff.org/treatments/...herapies/Antioxidants/</a>

Nightwriter

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>static</b></i>
<br />
<br />Wait so your MRSA went away? Do you believe it to be because of the tumeric, NAC (btw what is NAC?), or just sensitivity being picked up again to the other antibiotics?
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I've been on Vancro (in the hospital), Zyvox (allergic to something in it, gives me a really bad rash), septra, and cipro but I've been unable to lose it for an extended period of time. Vancro seems to work the best but I've only gotten that so far in hospital settings.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I don't want cancer though; that would suck.</end quote>
<br />
<br />Hi Static,
<br />
<br />It would appear as though my MRSA has disappeared. At least I can say I never cultured it again. Or Staph for that matter which I used to culture often, many years ago.
<br />
<br />
<br />I stopped culturing P.A. also for about 2 years (even though I am colonizied and have cultured mucoid P.A.), but it came back (one strain) when I got the Swine Flu which by the way, according to my doctor, can trigger things like P.A. to grow again.
<br />
<br />I don't really know which of the things that I added caused the P.A. and MRSA to disappear. Maybe all of them. In addition, without treating the asthma component of CF, I wouldn't have been able to clear the mucus.
<br />
<br />In other words, by following an anti-inflammatory regimen, lifestyle, etc. the stage would not have been set for these things to work.
<br />
<br />BTW as mentioned the swine flu triggered my P.A.'s return -and I did treat it. A few months ago, it still appeared in a culture, but I feel fine, so it will be interesting to see if it disappears again. The question you are wondering is would I add back the Tumeric? The answer would be yes, if the P.A. makes me sick again -- and for a short term. Or 3 weeks on, one week off.
<br />
<br />The problem with supplements is that they haven't been tested like prescription drugs. So how much to take? How often? Long term effects?
<br />
<br />My doctor did tell me about the one study that said that turmeric may cause cancer long term. I'm sure it was a study with rats given very high doses. So I had been taking the turmeric capsules for about 2 years and stopped because my doctor asked me to.
<br />
<br />Perhaps there will be other studies in the future. In the one the CF Foundation conducted, it that found that turmeric did not have much effect, but they used a fairly low dosage. I took a much higher dosage and may have reaped a benefit from it. I don't know.
<br />
<br />You asked about NAC. It is something that many people here take. I do believe it has helped me a lot.
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/treatments/Therapies/AlternativeTherapies/Antioxidants/">http://www.cff.org/treatments/...herapies/Antioxidants/</a>

ymikhale

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Nightwriter</b></i>

I can never get the quote feature right so...

From Ymikale,

"thanks for that info, nightwriter and sorry you had the flu!

I was not aware of that study but in any case I never give any supplements for adults to my daughter. I just sprinkle her food with curcumin.

And thanks to your advice we made many changes to our lifestyle and the environment (including leather sofa) and I strongly believe that she is doing much better now than a year ago, she even got over a major cold without it turning into an exacerbation!"

Hi Ymikale,

There may be some things that you can do to ward off colds, or least reduce severity -- I've written about what I've done on here -- but you must ask your doctor to make sure anything I do is appropriate or adjust for child dosages.

</end quote></div>
Do you have a link for that? You wrote so many posts I am not sure I will find it.

ymikhale

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Nightwriter</b></i>

I can never get the quote feature right so...

From Ymikale,

"thanks for that info, nightwriter and sorry you had the flu!

I was not aware of that study but in any case I never give any supplements for adults to my daughter. I just sprinkle her food with curcumin.

And thanks to your advice we made many changes to our lifestyle and the environment (including leather sofa) and I strongly believe that she is doing much better now than a year ago, she even got over a major cold without it turning into an exacerbation!"

Hi Ymikale,

There may be some things that you can do to ward off colds, or least reduce severity -- I've written about what I've done on here -- but you must ask your doctor to make sure anything I do is appropriate or adjust for child dosages.

</end quote>
Do you have a link for that? You wrote so many posts I am not sure I will find it.

ymikhale

<br />
<br />I can never get the quote feature right so...
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />From Ymikale,
<br />
<br />"thanks for that info, nightwriter and sorry you had the flu!
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I was not aware of that study but in any case I never give any supplements for adults to my daughter. I just sprinkle her food with curcumin.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />And thanks to your advice we made many changes to our lifestyle and the environment (including leather sofa) and I strongly believe that she is doing much better now than a year ago, she even got over a major cold without it turning into an exacerbation!"
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Hi Ymikale,
<br />
<br />There may be some things that you can do to ward off colds, or least reduce severity -- I've written about what I've done on here -- but you must ask your doctor to make sure anything I do is appropriate or adjust for child dosages.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /></end quote>
<br /> Do you have a link for that? You wrote so many posts I am not sure I will find it.

Nightwriter

Ymikale,

I found this thread in the search. My post on how I avoid colds is in here. One caution that I would add. There has since been in a class action suit (only 300 claimants) against Zicam. This may or may not mean it has merit. It was about zinc in the nose possibly being connected to loss of smell.

Certainly, someone could fake this to get in a class action suit. So for me, the jury is not in. The amount of zinc is incredibly minute in Zicam (it is homeopathic). But it is something you should be aware of and make your own decision. There are children's versions of it.

I do still use Zicam, perhaps more sparingly. For me, the risk and subsequent complications of a cold outweigh the unproven allegation of the product as of yet.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosis.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=38667&highlight_key=y&keyword1=colds">http://www.cysticfibrosis.com/...t_key=y&keyword1=colds</a>

Nightwriter

Ymikale,

I found this thread in the search. My post on how I avoid colds is in here. One caution that I would add. There has since been in a class action suit (only 300 claimants) against Zicam. This may or may not mean it has merit. It was about zinc in the nose possibly being connected to loss of smell.

Certainly, someone could fake this to get in a class action suit. So for me, the jury is not in. The amount of zinc is incredibly minute in Zicam (it is homeopathic). But it is something you should be aware of and make your own decision. There are children's versions of it.

I do still use Zicam, perhaps more sparingly. For me, the risk and subsequent complications of a cold outweigh the unproven allegation of the product as of yet.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosis.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=38667&highlight_key=y&keyword1=colds">http://www.cysticfibrosis.com/...t_key=y&keyword1=colds</a>

Nightwriter

Ymikale,
<br />
<br />I found this thread in the search. My post on how I avoid colds is in here. One caution that I would add. There has since been in a class action suit (only 300 claimants) against Zicam. This may or may not mean it has merit. It was about zinc in the nose possibly being connected to loss of smell.
<br />
<br />Certainly, someone could fake this to get in a class action suit. So for me, the jury is not in. The amount of zinc is incredibly minute in Zicam (it is homeopathic). But it is something you should be aware of and make your own decision. There are children's versions of it.
<br />
<br />I do still use Zicam, perhaps more sparingly. For me, the risk and subsequent complications of a cold outweigh the unproven allegation of the product as of yet.
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosis.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=38667&highlight_key=y&keyword1=colds">http://www.cysticfibrosis.com/...t_key=y&keyword1=colds</a>

Havoc

I heard about the studies on turmeric and curcumin being an anti-inflammatory, but never took any in large doses. What does seem to help me, at least in the short term, is anything extremely spicy. Although, I realize this isn't for everyone since most people can't tolerate high spice levels. After eating habanero peppers, or very spicy Indian food, my cough is MUCH more productive for about 30 minutes. I assume that the same mechanism that causes you nose to run when eating spicy foods works on the mucus membranes in the lungs and moistens up the mucus, making it easier to bring up. I'll try to think to ask my doc about this. Of course this is dependent on your being able to tolerate very spicy foods

Havoc

I heard about the studies on turmeric and curcumin being an anti-inflammatory, but never took any in large doses. What does seem to help me, at least in the short term, is anything extremely spicy. Although, I realize this isn't for everyone since most people can't tolerate high spice levels. After eating habanero peppers, or very spicy Indian food, my cough is MUCH more productive for about 30 minutes. I assume that the same mechanism that causes you nose to run when eating spicy foods works on the mucus membranes in the lungs and moistens up the mucus, making it easier to bring up. I'll try to think to ask my doc about this. Of course this is dependent on your being able to tolerate very spicy foods

Havoc