Tummy problems!

Jellybaby

Just wondering if people out there are the same as me and are having/had children?
Im only 17 so no plans yet but i just like to know these things for future! :p

My lungs are resonably good and iv only had IV antibiotics once so from that side of things I think iv a good chance of hopefully having kids in the future
but my cf has caused me to have a really enlarged spleen and I wonder if there will be any room for a baby and also if all the pressure etc could damage my spleen :(
Have any of you guys had a similar experience and what have your doctors said?
Thanks so much :) x

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
I don't have an answer for you. When it comes to determining yes or no, your OBGYN or such will need to be consulted. Cetainly mother and baby accommodate each other although it always seems close. This is a rule with all kinds of exceptions but the spleen isn't likely to be in the way physically.

If for example you are mildly obese. The visceral fat in the abdomen could easily exceed a very large spleen. This hasn't cut down on the birth rate and lots of babies are going full term in comfort. At seventeen you are developing a few odd pads of fat on your body.

Just as your breasts and other physical features have developed your beautiful figure is getting ready motherhood. A flap of fat forms on the tummy, almost squared off like a stack of printer paper to protect the baby and mother. At seventeen being able to poke a finger a finger nail deep next to your belly button may seem unwelcome. Add to that some more figure rounding fat on the hips and thighs and it seems your body is conspiring against you. The features you may be getting used to have been driving men wild forever.

If something was limiting or occluding the birth canal a concern would be high. I can't believe a baby can develop in a woman's abdomen. Every mother shares that wonder.

I hope somebody has an experience to share,

LL

Jellybaby

Thanks so much for your message! I suppose women can carry so much in such a small space and can have several babies inside them all at once!
Hopefully it shouldn't be a problem :)

Kxray328

No worries!! I have an enlarged spleen also! Very large and I am currently pregnant. My GI dr told me everything gets pushed and moved when pregnant and to not fear. I am In my 2nd trimester and not huge yet but everyone just said I'd be more u comfortable. Hope this helps :)

Jellybaby

Thank you so much! Just something I often think about for the future and glad to hear you're doing well best of luck with everything! Thanks for your help :)