TX patient with O negative blood?

kbquincy

Anyone been transplanted lately who has 0 negative blood?
I've been waiting for 8 months and they are telling me that one of the reasons is because I have a universal blood type. Apparently, the chances of getting lungs outside of my transplant center is low because lungs with blood type O can be used for all donor recipients. (i.e. a tx center that receives o negative lungs will only transfer them to another center when there is no one who can use them in their own center. The chances of not using o donor lungs is small because they are universal and can be used for other donor blood types.

Did you o blood type recipients wait long?

kbquincy

I've been waiting for 8 months and they are telling me that one of the reasons is because I have a universal blood type. Apparently, the chances of getting lungs outside of my transplant center is low because lungs with blood type O can be used for all donor recipients. (i.e. a tx center that receives o negative lungs will only transfer them to another center when there is no one who can use them in their own center. The chances of not using o donor lungs is small because they are universal and can be used for other donor blood types.

kbquincy

kbquincy

kbquincy

Transplantmommy

Well, I am not O- but I am O+. The average wait at the Cleveland Clinic is three months for lungs but I waited 5 months. I waited that long because we were searching for a liver too. We wanted them all from the same donor so when they got a match for the lungs, we had to make sure that the liver was good too.

I have a friend (not CF) who is also going to the Cleveland Clinic and she is coming up on 5 months of waiting but hers is because she is very small in stature and will most likely need a child's lungs. Sadly, not all parents think of donating their child's organs because they don't think of a child (or an adult the size of a child) needing transplants. There needs to be more awareness for this too.

Transplantmommy

Well, I am not O- but I am O+. The average wait at the Cleveland Clinic is three months for lungs but I waited 5 months. I waited that long because we were searching for a liver too. We wanted them all from the same donor so when they got a match for the lungs, we had to make sure that the liver was good too.

I have a friend (not CF) who is also going to the Cleveland Clinic and she is coming up on 5 months of waiting but hers is because she is very small in stature and will most likely need a child's lungs. Sadly, not all parents think of donating their child's organs because they don't think of a child (or an adult the size of a child) needing transplants. There needs to be more awareness for this too.

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />I have a friend (not CF) who is also going to the Cleveland Clinic and she is coming up on 5 months of waiting but hers is because she is very small in stature and will most likely need a child's lungs. Sadly, not all parents think of donating their child's organs because they don't think of a child (or an adult the size of a child) needing transplants. There needs to be more awareness for this too.

summer732

It was my understanding that the O- lungs would go to O- recipients first. I was in a state where there was only one center so we had first dibs on the lungs. I am B+ and was transplanted with o- lungs. so there is probably some truth to that statement that your doc made.

Hang in there!

summer732

It was my understanding that the O- lungs would go to O- recipients first. I was in a state where there was only one center so we had first dibs on the lungs. I am B+ and was transplanted with o- lungs. so there is probably some truth to that statement that your doc made.

Hang in there!

summer732

Hang in there!

summer732

Hang in there!

summer732

<br />
<br />Hang in there!