update from Scotland

D

dyzaman

Hi all, thought its been awhile since I posted, wee Craig is doing great this year, no extra meds, he's growing so much taller nearly as tall as his sister now. She has moved out into her own home with her partner and has just started her 3rd year nursing at uni.
Had Craig at an adventure weekend camp with the he scouts, he loved it. Canoeing, archery,climbing, burn run and abseiling, took him 10 mins to get over the edge, but he finnaly got there, he got to the bottom and ran back up for another go.
We moved home, again, also Craig moved school because of some bullying issues, he has settled in well to the new school....even has a girlfriend in his class, takes after me I guess, start young I say.
Hope you all have a good winter and that's its not too harsh a year.
Craig

Melissa75

Administrator
What a wonderful update! Thanks for sharing. The adventure camp sounds like a great experience. I'm a rock climber and can remember the fear the first time I rappelled/abseiled, and the great feeling of overcoming the fear, of testing and trusting the gear.

Imogene

Administrator
Always happy to hear good news from Scotland! Sounds like you have a great plan for Craig. Loved that the new school is not a place for bullying. This is a problem for all the world to get straight!
Hope for a mild winter here in NJ too!

Imogene

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Also glad to hear how full and wondrous Craig's life is. Talk about adventure, it took me a decade to rack up the various experiences of his year.

If being skinny was a contest, CFers would rule. I was always the skinniest kid and a natural mark for bullies. Little can improve Craig's physique especially at his age but building self confidence through challenges like his summer camp is a great equalizer. Bullying, sadly, is part of the human equation. When a bully persists for whatever reasons, sometimes moving to a new school or community is the last but necessary option.

Craig's action packed camp might lead to enjoying one or several of the athletic endeavors long term. Whether it is archery or rock climbing, fencing or skating, these are all activities that build character and confidence. It's pretty impressive when you can knock the feathers off another person's arrow at twenty paces.

Bullying is everybody's problem and far more than simple to fix. What parents and families can do is to encourage confidence building projects and activities. Everyone can see a bully because they want to be seen and feared. What defines a mark is less evident but it comes down to carriage. The confidence Craig earned should be cultivated. He can stand tall and can all CFers the same way.

Best wishes over the holidays and the coming year.

LL