updates on new exercise

slugo21

So I have been reading different post about different workouts and ways to gain weight and stay healthy but there isn't anything current. I was wondering has anyone found good works and etc..

ethan508

Where are you at physically? How active are you? What is your general exercise tolerance? How much time do you have to dedicate to exercise? What kind of exercise do you enjoy?

I always do best getting my exercise doing something that doesn't feel like exercise (basketball, racquetball, soccer, hiking, etc). But it is hard to find people to do activities with (adult life is just too busy at times). My second strategy is to set my eyes on some goal and lay out a plan to hit it. Goals and planning are tricky, you want to find something that helps you stretch or grow a little but isn't overwhelming. My big problem is that when I start I tend to want to take off super-fast. I had the idea that my MAX effort is what should be hit at every single workout. This lead to burnout (or injury). So I'd fall of the horse, and stay off for too long before trying again.

The thing with setting fitness goals, make them your own. You don't need to be the longest or fastest or the weight liftiest. Make a goal for you. Something that you can look at for motivation and something you can be proud of. For some that might be getting to a walk around the block. Great for them.

My exercise history is a bit jumbled. For a while it was signing up for PE classes, Rec and Intramural Leagues, and the occasional season on the gym machines. Plus a pickup games of any sport whenever I could find one. I moved away from some of those resources (and time got scarce), so I switched to a stationary bike, then to workout videos (P90X, Pilates, Yoga). Then I got the wild hare to start running and do a non-competitive road race or two. I set a goal to complete a 10k and a half marathon. That was the most difficult and most dedicated of my exercise programs. The end goal was big enough that I did tons of research (online, talking to coworkers and neighbors that ran) to figure it all out. Last year I decide to swim (with a mile swim event as my end goal). This year I'm trying cycling (end goal is a 50 mile ride).

As far as weight gain, nothing makes me hungrier than a run. I try to eat 1 hour prior to a run for fuel, then within 30 minutes of exercise, I down a few hundred carb/fat/protein balanced calories with a slight bias towards carbs (cold cereal w/whole milk is my go to). Then I'll be starving again an hour or two later so it is time for a real meal. Eating is such a chore sometimes, but the hunger I get from exercise is a nice motivator

ethan508

For some CF related exercise stuff, google Jerry Cahill. I stumbled on his stuff when I was researching my running plan. He is one of my heros.

B

bookworm

I came across this document by a doctor who has CF and is an exercise trainer. http://www.docsquid.com/Sportandcf.pdf It's about 50 pages, has links to other resources and here is an excerpt from the introduction:

As somebody with cystic fibrosis who has also always enjoyed sport and exercise, I amwriting this based upon my personal experience. I have, in my lifetime, enjoyed trainingat various levels in the sports of athletics, hockey, cricket, squash, martial arts, aerobicsand fitness, skiing and cycling. I was always encouraged to participate in sports, even inthe 1960’s, when children with CF were protected and expected to avoid exertion. Alifetime of keeping fit has paid off, and at the age of 49, I am fitter than most of mypeers, as well as having well-preserved lung function and an ability to do a lot ofexercise. This is despite frequent episodes of ill health, hospitalisation, and intravenousantibiotics throughout my life.I am a qualified doctor, a qualified Aerobics and Step instructor, a qualified NordicWalking Instructor, and a qualified Advanced Fitness Instructor and Personal Trainer. Ihave also had a lot of experience of training and doing sport, while also trying to copewith a chronic medical condition that flares up from time to time. I have also had a lotof experience of injury, and subsequent recovery. I have also made many mistakes,and failed on occasions to follow almost all the recommendations and suggestions Ihave made in this document. One of the main reasons for writing this was so thatothers could learn from my experience and mistakes.Another reason for writing this document was that I simply couldn’t find the answers tomy questions in books or on web sites, most of which deal with fit people, whoseillnesses are short-term, self-limiting, infrequent and curable. Likewise, I couldn’t getinformation from health professionals dealing with cystic fibrosis, who could only providethe most general information about taking small amounts of light exercise, and nottraining hard at higher levels of fitness.

I realize you are looking for workout exercises and this might not be exactly what you are looking for. But I am finding it very helpful in helping me when I experience bumps in the road in my exercise program.

ethan508

Great post Bookworm! I like how she divides exercies into levels and stays totally positive about doing level 1 or level 2 if that is all you are up for. Also, I love this quote from the report:

"Doing exercise, then, can make the difference between you being unable to do things,
and being able to do things. It can make the difference between you being able to keep
up with your friends, or not being able to keep up. It can make the difference between
being able to carry on at work, and not being able to carry on at work. It can make the
difference between you being able to do the things you like doing, and not being able to
do them."

John89

I'll try to keep this short and sweet but I'm a huge fan of cycling (indoors and outdoors). I have a pretty diverse athletic background and I truly haven't found anything that provides the same deep lung burn that I can achieve with a solid ride.

I raced competitively for the cycling team during my time at the University of Colorado and I'm certain that helped keep my lungs clear and healthy in college. Now, with a full time job and upcoming wedding, I'm not racing anymore but still try to make cycling a core element of my fitness routine.

If you don't currently own a bike or are unable to ride outside, then indoor spin/cycling classes are an excellent alternative. I also use a "trainer" which allows me to setup my road bike as a stationary bike to ride indoors during the winter - a very convenient "at-home" workout option!

Anyways, just wanted to share my experience and put in a plug for cycling as I think its a great exercise for CF'ers! Best of luck!

jaimers

Super Moderator
I have been doing CrossFit for about 3 years and love it. I modify the daily workout significantly to fit my personal needs but the underlying principles of short, intense, functional movements are still there. It's been very effective airway clearance for me as well as improving my overall fitness and stamina. Not all crossfit gyms are the same and the critiques of crossfit are not unwarranted because many coaches just don't have enough training and experience to properly teach correct form, how to scale workouts for your personal needs, etc. However, if you find a gym with coaches that have extensive training and backgrounds in fitness, weightlifting, etc. and you take the time to be trained properly by them you will not hurt yourself as many do when they try to go balls to the wall on their first workout. That really goes for all forms of exercise. Probably shouldn't start out, as Ethan said, going for your max effort on the first day and totally kill yourself.

slugo21

Ok thank you all for the inputs. I have been doing different workouts. I took up mma for a while, strenth training, I found crossfit and I haven't wanted to do anything ever since. As for limits I don't know them yet. I try to finish all the workouts best as I can or at least keep up. I am a respiratory therapist (ironic huh) so I learned how to pace my self and control my breathing. to be honest I haven't ever really seen anyone with cf who wasn't on there last leg so to speak.

h.hulk73

I have been doing CrossFit for about 3 years and love it. I modify the daily workout significantly to fit my personal needs but the underlying principles of short, intense, functional movements are still there. It's been very effective airway clearance for me as well as improving my overall fitness and stamina. Not all crossfit gyms are the same and the critiques of crossfit are not unwarranted because many coaches just don't have enough training and experience to properly teach correct form, how to scale workouts for your personal needs, etc. However, if you find a gym with coaches that have extensive training and backgrounds in fitness, weightlifting, etc. and you take the time to be trained properly by them you will not hurt yourself as many do when they try to go balls to the wall on their first workout. That really goes for all forms of exercise. Probably shouldn't start out, as Ethan said, going for your max effort on the first day and totally kill yourself.
We will have to try