VibraLung Review

C

CaitlinA

I also wanted to share my experience with the VibraLung. I have been using it for a little over three weeks now and, without question, this device is far superior to any other instrument (The Vest, Flutter, etc.) or airway clearance method (CPT, autogenic drainage, etc.) I have tried in my thirty-three years as a cystic fibrosis patient. I have been VERY blessed with great health overall but my FEV1 started dipping in 2013. Intravenous antibiotics, intense airway treatment and exercise did little to improve my lung function and I found myself hospitalized for exacerbations frequently. My health care team attributed it to aging but I was convinced I had stubborn, hardened secretions lodged deep in my lungs, unable to be cleared. The first time I tried the VibraLung in clinic, I felt it reach my deepest alveoli. With regular usage, I am now able to clear the "junk" I referenced above. Last Monday at clinic, my FEV1 was back to where I left it in 2013 (see photo)! I do the VibraLung treatments with hypertonic treatment and pulmozyme but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be used with inhaled antibiotics as well. Just wanted you all to be aware of my experience and hopefully others have the same experience as I!

View attachment 495

benthyr123

I totally agree. I tried it last month. The science behind this is simple yet effective. If it can work on million dollar race horses, then it imagine what it will do for a 100 pound human. I hope this gets Feds approval soon. It's priced at 6000 and not covered by ins. It's by far the best clearance device I've ever tried and no bigger than a book... Very portable

C

CaitlinA

I have submitted it to my insurance of hopes of having it approved- we will see what happens *fingers crossed*

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Hi Benthyr123. The Vibralung was approved by the FDA last year. There was a thread at that time you might find interesting that discussed the mechanism and benefits including responses by a manufacturer's representative. http://forum.cysticfibrosis.com/thr...tical-Percussor-receives-FDA-510(k)-Clearance. Their web site is http://westmedinc.com/vibralung/.

Despite reviewing the information on various sites, I am unclear whether there are any studies showing the relative efficacy when compared to the vest or other clearance methods. If anyone is aware of any, please chime in! Obviously I do not mean to overlook the fact that each person will find different methods more effective than others for themselves, but it would be nice to know if there has been any effort to quantify the differences.

CaitlinA - your improvement in pulmonary function is phenomenal! Congratulations!

Blessings. . . .

I also wanted to share my experience with the VibraLung. I have been using it for a little over three weeks now and, without question, this device is far superior to any other instrument (The Vest, Flutter, etc.) or airway clearance method (CPT, autogenic drainage, etc.) I have tried in my thirty-three years as a cystic fibrosis patient. I have been VERY blessed with great health overall but my FEV1 started dipping in 2013. Intravenous antibiotics, intense airway treatment and exercise did little to improve my lung function and I found myself hospitalized for exacerbations frequently. My health care team attributed it to aging but I was convinced I had stubborn, hardened secretions lodged deep in my lungs, unable to be cleared. The first time I tried the VibraLung in clinic, I felt it reach my deepest alveoli. With regular usage, I am now able to clear the "junk" I referenced above. Last Monday at clinic, my FEV1 was back to where I left it in 2013 (see photo)! I do the VibraLung treatments with hypertonic treatment and pulmozyme but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be used with inhaled antibiotics as well. Just wanted you all to be aware of my experience and hopefully others have the same experience as I!

View attachment 495

Hi CaitlinA,

First of all congrats on getting your lung function back and I hope you stay this well and better always :)

I have a question though. Did you continue using the vest or any other airway clearing methods alongside the vibralung?
I am asking this because I'm considering getting one for my daughter. We don't own a vest and I was searching online trying to figure out what would be the best for her when I stumbled upon the vibralung. I was really impressed with the way it functions and was so happy to find your positive feedback. But I am now not sure if it actually replaces the need for a vest or should work alongside with it to be able to clear the lungs of CF patients? Should I still be looking for vests too?

Thank you so much in advance

benthyr123

Yes, I meant insurance approval...sorry. I know it's approved by the FDA. So far, little luck getting insurance to cover the $5600 price tag I was just given by Westmed. I still will advocate for this device since it is so easy to use and I feel more effective than the vest. My vest is currently collecting dust....

Krazy4Katie

Vibralung VERY EFFECTIVE

This thing is amazing. My daughter said that after using this, she can bring up more mucus than from anything else (the vest, chest PT, and acapella). She has end stage CF with FEV1 hovering 30%. Our insurance company thank goodness covered it. Hope that every CF patient can get one of this and will help so much for airway clearance.

View attachment 495

Helicopter Mom

Hi...Thanks to all who have posted so far on this thread. I would really appreciate hearing more (regarding results, specifically) from anyone who is using this device currently.

Thanks!

Katalinrogers

My daughter has been using it with the vest in the same time. She is also on Orkambi, and she seems to be doing better, having more energy than before. Our next clinic visit will be at the end of October, hopefully her numbers will show improvement. I definitely recommend the Vibralung, I tried it on myself too, and had a good cough after about 10 minutes finishing the VL.

K

kenna2

This has made a huge difference for me. I always felt the vest was never enough. After I first used my Vibralung, I coughed so bad and so much mucus and plugs came out. For the longest time I was in and out of the hospital every could of weeks. So far I have been healthy and out of the hospital for 2 months and my FEV1 is finally improving. I do the Vibralung and vest together and it works. It's a great investment and the difference it has made has been amazing. I highly recommend it!

lovemyboy507

To those using vibra lung at what age do you think someone could realistically use this? we are always looking for new options especially as we travel so much and the vest is a pain to drag around!!!

benthyr123

If you can feed yourself you can use this. It's so easy and lightweight. I think it's actually ideal for kids...cool sounds and such. My vest is useless and this device is portable and small