Vitamin A Deficiency

scrapper1264

DS7 went for his quarterly CF visit in July and was found to be Vitamin A deficient. He started a supplement of 20,000 units/day last week. He is now tired, has no appetite and experiencing stomach pains - those happen to be symptoms of a Vit A overdose. DS also has hemorrhoids right now so he is on a laxative. I thought maybe the laxative was causing these symptoms but now I don't know. I have a call into his dr but was wondering if anyone else experienced this.

scrapper1264

DS7 went for his quarterly CF visit in July and was found to be Vitamin A deficient. He started a supplement of 20,000 units/day last week. He is now tired, has no appetite and experiencing stomach pains - those happen to be symptoms of a Vit A overdose. DS also has hemorrhoids right now so he is on a laxative. I thought maybe the laxative was causing these symptoms but now I don't know. I have a call into his dr but was wondering if anyone else experienced this.

scrapper1264

<br />
<br />

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS is on two source CF chewables per day, which have about 9,000 units per tablet and he also takes a Vitamin A softgel each morning. Usually an 8,000 unit one if I'm unable to find 10,000 unit ones at the drugstore. He's 7 and has been on the for years and doesn't have issues. His vitamin levels have been about average.

What type of laxative is he on? Is he constipated? I know when DS had issues with constipation his eating decreased and he'd sometimes get sick to his stomach.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS is on two source CF chewables per day, which have about 9,000 units per tablet and he also takes a Vitamin A softgel each morning. Usually an 8,000 unit one if I'm unable to find 10,000 unit ones at the drugstore. He's 7 and has been on the for years and doesn't have issues. His vitamin levels have been about average.

What type of laxative is he on? Is he constipated? I know when DS had issues with constipation his eating decreased and he'd sometimes get sick to his stomach.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />What type of laxative is he on? Is he constipated? I know when DS had issues with constipation his eating decreased and he'd sometimes get sick to his stomach.

scrapper1264

He's not constipated but has a hemorrhoid, so his dr suggested a laxative to ease the pain. He's on miralax. I decreased his dosage to half since the whole dosage was giving him diarrhea. He just threw up about an hour ago so I have an appt. with his ped this afternoon.

Thanks for your response!

scrapper1264

He's not constipated but has a hemorrhoid, so his dr suggested a laxative to ease the pain. He's on miralax. I decreased his dosage to half since the whole dosage was giving him diarrhea. He just threw up about an hour ago so I have an appt. with his ped this afternoon.

Thanks for your response!

scrapper1264

<br />
<br />Thanks for your response!