Vitamin D advice

Melissa75

Administrator
Wow, thanks for all the additional replies. This is a lot of great information.

Windex, I'm sorry swallowing and not throwing up these vitamins is a problem for you. You are free to vent! When the cure for something makes you sick, too, it makes complete sense to be frustrated. I hope you can get on the Fosamax and maybe take some of these droplets. I don't gag at much, but when I was taking a multivitamin earlier this year, I felt barfy for several hours starting about 20 min after I took it. That was new reaction for me. Maybe the iron? Anyway, it made me eat less, which was not the goal.

Kristan, I'm happy you got some answers about your non-CF bronch. I've never had the PCD genetic testing because my ears are fine, my sinuses are not-surgery-worthy. Do you have lots of sinus and ear problems?
So nice to see a fellow bronch'er here!

LittleLab, Glad to hear you got your enzyme balance optimized and weight up, and that you didn't get too toxic with the vitamins/minerals.

imported_Momto2

I get my vitamin D via the sun and vitamin D lamp. Seems to be working since my D has been hanging out around 50 and before I started consciously getting sun and using the lamp it was too low.

D

Dr. Ahmad Momani

we all know that supplementing vitamin D in the winter can decrease your chances of catching a cold or flu, many of us may not realize that the first rays of spring sunshine should not come as a cue to put your vitamin D away with your winter jacket. Although more sunlight means we’ll make more vitamin D, I still recommend taking at least 2,000 IU daily.It improves muscle function, blunts your appetite, can protect lung function, can help you shed your winter weight, can lower blood pressure..

kosdancer

Emory did a study that found that taking 50,000 IU every other week is beneficial so that is what I do. This is the brand I use - https://www.vitd3.com - I get it for free from Emory but it's not too terribly expensive. Given that you haven't been on any kind of supplement before you may not need to start out with that much either - I started the high dose after a year of 1000 IU per day I think. My levels started at 29 and after 2 or 3 years of this high dose therapy I'm now at 60!

R

Ryan Reed

I take 5,000 IU everday plus I take a joint supplement that has a flax seed oil pill, plus I add flax seeds to my smoothies I make, so i'mm guessing I get anywhere from 6,200-7,500 everyday.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
For those who live in the states and are on Creon, you can get vitamins and nutritional drinks or protein bars thru their cf care forward program. We get vitamins and either zone perfect bars or ensure "juice" https://www.creon.com/cfcareforward They also have a copay assistance program as well, which we've used in the past.