Vitamin D deficiency

I am wondering whether anyone uses a UVB lamp (sun lamps, sometimes also used to treat seasonal affective disorder) to increase Vitamin D levels? If not, what did you do to successfully increase your levels? I already take water soluble forms of Vitamin D and now also have a prescription for 50,000IUs per week.

LouLou

I tried the 50,000 IU approach a few times with no success. I was down at 27 and got it up to 35 with a whole food mineral supplement that I now take every day. Watch this video to learn about the product. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpwzJT7r3uk&feature=youtu.be
It's helped me not get a cold this whole Fall (first time in 10 years), increased energy, fixed vit d definiciency, lowered blood glucose and leveled mood/stress level. It's not the supplement that is the miracle, it is our bodies, with the right nutrition can correct or prevent problems in the first place. We absorb 95% of liquid supplements where we only absorb 10-20% from pills. I believe our cf population is even more minerally deficient than the reported mineral deficient general population.

I'm a huge fan. So much so that I decided to start promoting it. For every referrel who buys it through me I get a 'thank you' check. I have sample bottles too I can mail if you are interested in trying it. Of course, trying it would only be for flavor not to see if it does anything for you. It has a 90 day money back guarantee so I suggest people give it a test run and see what it does for you. PM me for more info!

azdesertrat

I just take my 'script as directed. It is 50,000 units & I take it twice weekly.
Since I've already had melanoma, I really don't want to subject myself to any lamp. I don't have a clue if the lamp you mentioned can cause skin cancer, I'm not in any hurry to find out.
I'd like to know why it is we 'CF'er's' suffer from Vit. D deficiency so frequently. I've been plagued with this all my life.
Is it due to the malabsorption issues?

JustDucky

Yes, it is due to malabsorbtion issues...especially the fat soluble vitamins, ADEand K. Personally, I take supplements but I also use a tanning bed every week to get some "sun". I just feel so much better as a whole after each session. My joints don't hurt as much and I seem to have more energy, so for me, the tanning booth appears to have benefit.

Jenn 40 wCF

azdesertrat

Please be careful with the tanning booths: you can contract melanoma by too much exposure. If you just use a bit of common sense you should be OK. Good luck...

Thank you for your replies, I did not log in again until now! My Vitamin D level was 16 and then I began taking the prescription supplements. 4 months later my Vitamin D level is 13 (this seems dangerously low), so obviously I am looking into anything that could possibly help (even if there are small risks). From what I have read, research/advice goes both ways on UVB therapy. Some research has shown people with CF, since we cant absorb vitamin D well through food/pill form, benefit from sun lamps. Others warn against any sort of tanning because of the obvious risk of melanoma and other UVA/B related problems.

Jenn: For how long do you use UVA/B tanning lamps each week? I am going twice a week for 5 minutes each time to start. I think you only need low levels of exposure and I am not looking to actually get a tan.

SaraNoH

I've lived in sunny AZ my entire life and my D levels can still be low (everything else is fine though), so I'm not too sure how well a lamp will help you, but it can't hurt. It will at least help with your mood if anything. Meds might be the only way for us.

D

Deb

I have the same issue. Didn't realize it was so common. This was first brought to my attention after surgery so I thought that had something to do with it. Despite taking 2,000 IU daily my level is still low so I am now taking 50,000 once a week.

randmel89

I take 5,000 units daily every morning with my breakfast. My last vitamin D level was just right. I absorb the D only if I take it with a full meal and with my enzymes.