VX-661-108 (residual function study)

D

Dank

Just chiming in here. For someone who has a pair of mutations that are both rather rare - this is awesome. I believe they are trying to determine if a specific class of mutations would be helped by this, which imo is great. That's only my guess though. I'll be looking into this for myself. Thanks for sharing

jricci

Super Moderator
Just chiming in here. For someone who has a pair of mutations that are both rather rare - this is awesome. I believe they are trying to determine if a specific class of mutations would be helped by this, which imo is great. That's only my guess though. I'll be looking into this for myself. Thanks for sharing

Just to clarify- you need to have one df508 mutation and one of the listed residual function mutations to participate in 661-108 study. I'm so sorry if this wasn't clear. I hate to get someone's hopes up only to have them dashed. I just edited my original post so there isn't any further misunderstandings.

D

Dank

I was just doing some research myself to see exactly what Heterozygous meant, because that's not a word i'm familiar with. If that's the case then you are indeed correct, this does not apply to me. Ah well, a step towards the right direction either way is good as I see it, because this means down the road it could be included for my genetypes =)

Criteria
Inclusion Criteria:

• Heterozygous for F508del-CFTR and a second allele with a CFTR mutation predicted to have residual function
  • Forced Expiratory Volume in 1 Second (FEV1) greater than or equal to (≥) 40 percent (%) and less than or equal to (≤) 90% of predicted normal for age, sex, and height during screening.
  • Sweat chloride value ≥60 millimole per liter (mmol/L) from test results obtained during screening OR as documented in the subject's medical record.
  • Sweat chloride value less than (<) 60 mmol/L must have documented evidence of chronic sinopulmonary disease
  • Stable CF disease as judged by the investigator

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Hmm..can you try one more and if it doesn't work post again and I'll try pm you. Jeanne did something happen because I deleted about three hundred I think???

jricci

Super Moderator
Just wanted to share some recently published journal articles with the hope that it may help someone with a residual function mutation who is fighting for insurance approval for Kalydeco. I also hope that it encourages those with residual function mutations to get involved with VX-661-108 study that is currently enrolling or talk to their doctors about off-label prescribing.

· “The use of ivacaftor in CF mutations with residual functioning protein” S. Guigui, B. Condon, R.I. Cohen
“We noted improvement in all patients and in all parameters at 6 months compared to baseline. One patient was retested at one month after stopping ivacaftor with worsening parameters. These data support the beneficial effects of CFTR potentiators in CF mutations producing residual functioning protein.”
http://www.cysticfibrosisjournal.com/article/S1569-1993(15)30494-X/abstract

· “Improved Clinical and Radiographic Outcomes After Treatment With Ivacaftor in a Young Adult With Cystic Fibrosis With the P67L CFTR Mutation” Shatha Yousef, MD; George M. Solomon, MD; Alan Brody, MD; Steven M. Rowe, MD, MSPH; Andrew A. Colin, MD
P67L is a class 4 conductance (nongating) mutation exhibiting residual CFTR function. We report marked clinical improvement, normalization of spirometry, and dramatic reduction in radiographic structural airway changes after > 1 year of treatment with ivacaftor in a young adult with the compound heterozygous genotype P67L/F508del CFTR. The case suggests that ivacaftor may have a potential benefit for patients with CF with nongating mutations.”

http://journal.publications.chestnet.org/article.aspx?articleid=2173461#Abstract

I will forward articles to the CFF’s Patient Assistance Resource Center. I’m hoping they can get access to full article content that can be submitted for insurance appeals.