weight after transplant

T

theDUDE

I was wondering if after a transplant if it is easier to put on weight? If so, is it because of the meds or what? I know the transplant only helps to Lung-aspect of CF. I know i will still have to take enzymes after the Tx. So how would it help us put on weight afterwards.

T

theDUDE

I was wondering if after a transplant if it is easier to put on weight? If so, is it because of the meds or what? I know the transplant only helps to Lung-aspect of CF. I know i will still have to take enzymes after the Tx. So how would it help us put on weight afterwards.

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE

I

IG

Your body is better able to function since it doesn't use resources fighting infection, coughing, and struggling to breathe. Those take a lot out of your system. I've known some people who find it just as hard to gain weight after transplant as before transplant and those (like me) who seem to have no problems gaining. It might be harder to gain weight after transplant if you are really pancreatic insufficient before transplant anyway. I never really had digestive problems so add that with the steroid (prednisone) and I had no problem gaining weight. It really just depends on you as to whether you gain weight or not because everybody is different.

I

IG

Your body is better able to function since it doesn't use resources fighting infection, coughing, and struggling to breathe. Those take a lot out of your system. I've known some people who find it just as hard to gain weight after transplant as before transplant and those (like me) who seem to have no problems gaining. It might be harder to gain weight after transplant if you are really pancreatic insufficient before transplant anyway. I never really had digestive problems so add that with the steroid (prednisone) and I had no problem gaining weight. It really just depends on you as to whether you gain weight or not because everybody is different.

I

IG

I

IG

I

IG

coltsfan715

hey there,

for me it took a few months but after about 3 months post transplant I started putting on much needed weight.

Just like mentioned above you aren't using as much energy to breathe, fight infection and so on so you can store some of the food and put on some weight. Also you are able to exercise with more ease and that helps to put on muscle and thus weight.

As for pancreatic insufficiency. I was and am pancreatic insufficient and diabetic. I still take meds but not as many as I had to before and I still gain weight. I have gained about 20 lbs since my transplant and am at a healthy weight of 127lbs at 5'7" height and that is about 10 months post transplant.

I also will say that most of the people I know post Tx with CF it took them a few months to start putting on the weight but it did come eventually.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

hey there,

for me it took a few months but after about 3 months post transplant I started putting on much needed weight.

Just like mentioned above you aren't using as much energy to breathe, fight infection and so on so you can store some of the food and put on some weight. Also you are able to exercise with more ease and that helps to put on muscle and thus weight.

As for pancreatic insufficiency. I was and am pancreatic insufficient and diabetic. I still take meds but not as many as I had to before and I still gain weight. I have gained about 20 lbs since my transplant and am at a healthy weight of 127lbs at 5'7" height and that is about 10 months post transplant.

I also will say that most of the people I know post Tx with CF it took them a few months to start putting on the weight but it did come eventually.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

hey there,

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

hey there,

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

hey there,
<br />
<br />for me it took a few months but after about 3 months post transplant I started putting on much needed weight.
<br />
<br />Just like mentioned above you aren't using as much energy to breathe, fight infection and so on so you can store some of the food and put on some weight. Also you are able to exercise with more ease and that helps to put on muscle and thus weight.
<br />
<br />As for pancreatic insufficiency. I was and am pancreatic insufficient and diabetic. I still take meds but not as many as I had to before and I still gain weight. I have gained about 20 lbs since my transplant and am at a healthy weight of 127lbs at 5'7" height and that is about 10 months post transplant.
<br />
<br />I also will say that most of the people I know post Tx with CF it took them a few months to start putting on the weight but it did come eventually.
<br />
<br />
<br />Take Care,
<br />Lindsey

Marjolein

Post transplant I still weigh about that same 43kg (1 kg more than before tx). The only thing that is different is that I now don't need night feeds anymore, I got 1000 kcal a day with night feeds. Apart from that I didn't eat a lot. I still don't eat a lot but I do eat a lot more then I did hehe. It is enough to keep my weight up. I didn't quit using night feeds right after my tx, I tried a few times but couldn't get the weight up. I stopped taking it only a few months ago.

I can eat more because i'm just not too tired to eat, because my full stomach isn't bothering my lungs anymore. And I think a really big thing is that it just takes less calories to keep your weight up post tx. Breathing took so so much. Every little bit that we ate went to just trying to breath. Now that that is better the calories that we eat can go to other things.

Marjolein

Post transplant I still weigh about that same 43kg (1 kg more than before tx). The only thing that is different is that I now don't need night feeds anymore, I got 1000 kcal a day with night feeds. Apart from that I didn't eat a lot. I still don't eat a lot but I do eat a lot more then I did hehe. It is enough to keep my weight up. I didn't quit using night feeds right after my tx, I tried a few times but couldn't get the weight up. I stopped taking it only a few months ago.

I can eat more because i'm just not too tired to eat, because my full stomach isn't bothering my lungs anymore. And I think a really big thing is that it just takes less calories to keep your weight up post tx. Breathing took so so much. Every little bit that we ate went to just trying to breath. Now that that is better the calories that we eat can go to other things.

Marjolein

Marjolein

Marjolein

<br />
<br />I can eat more because i'm just not too tired to eat, because my full stomach isn't bothering my lungs anymore. And I think a really big thing is that it just takes less calories to keep your weight up post tx. Breathing took so so much. Every little bit that we ate went to just trying to breath. Now that that is better the calories that we eat can go to other things.