Weight Gain

ambermarie03

I was just wondering how everyone on here manages their weight. I have always been petite and run between 120 - 125 lbs. I'm noticing as I get older it is harder to maintain my weight. My insurance does not cover Scandi shakes so I just try my best as far as eating the right stuff and eating enough througout the day. Any suggestions for high calories and weight gaining? I would love to weigh in at 130

L

lizlas

<P>where do I begin....</P>
<P></P>
<P>DONUTS from Krispy Kreme (if you have KKreme in states) cake, candy, chocolate bars, chips</P>
<P>cracker jack type popcorn....fugsicles....pecan pie, fudge.....</P>
<P></P>
<P>You didnt say it had to be healthy...lol (or did you)</P>
<P></P>
<P><BR></P>

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I don't like ice cream very much myself. I'm pretty picky and I'm petite also. I've always struggled with weight. I hate Scandi Shakes. Yuck. Those make me almost puke. I usually eat various kinds of chips, candy and chocolate which I know aren't very healthy choices. I snack a lot more than eating actual meals but, I have a g-tube. I eat what I want to eat. I try to add healthy stuff with it. Some of the healthier choices are assorted nuts, banana bread, peanut butter with crackers or bread. I guess I can say I'm more of a non healthy eater.

ambermarie03

Those are all great ideas! Thanks guys! I usually eat non-stop throughout the day, unless I'm at work which is a full time 12 hr/day job. I always have snacks at my desk though. I've just noticed lately I've lost a couple of lbs and it seems so easy to lose but so hard to gain back!!

ambermarie03

Those are all great ideas! Thanks guys! I usually eat non-stop throughout the day, unless I'm at work which is a full time 12 hr/day job. I always have snacks at my desk though. I've just noticed lately I've lost a couple of lbs and it seems so easy to lose but so hard to gain back!!

ambermarie03

rmotion

" albino15 Oreos with peanut butter on them. McDonald's, Taco Bell, Really any fast food. "
OMG just the thougt of that combo makes me want to puke. Sorry you are headed in the completely wrong direction in regards to your nutrition and health. Stop, get out of the car and run the other way.(FEV's and ability taken into account)!
Nutrion has to be the first step in living with CF. Not to harsh your food chemical mellow and i use to be there. I use to love Taco Bell but once I saw the "green" light things improved.
Please look at these posts and get back to me to humor me that you are going to do something different!

G-tube advantage
http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=903&threadid=610454&enterthread=y

We are suffering from a perfect storm of health problems

1. Metabolic syndrome - Long term blood sugars, not controlled properly in the body, taxes the system to where most Cf's adults get clinical CFRD. This can be avoided, irrespective of what clinical outlines say. If we don't tax our systems we can do better. Learn about blood sugar and how we are so affected by it.

2. Nutrient Mal-absorbtion - We cant absorb the right amount of nutrients especially fats. This is such a catch 22 that it is so imperitive to get our stomachs straightend out so we get nutrients we need to live. For me it was finding out that I have a gluten intolerance once I was gluten free my health did a 120, notice it was not a 180 - the other 60 degrees is the right carbs and healthy foods. Still work in progress for the rest

3. Inflammation of cells and lungs - We cant help it our immune systems just don't shut off, it causes long term damage. I remember once asking what CRP is on my labs. I was quickly answered that in CF it is always high no need to worry about it. I accepted and moved on. Well what it is besides just an indicator of heart disease but an indicator of unbridled inflammation in our bodies namely our lungs. Its like we have a non stop splinter and our lungs are always inflamed. I bet if we got this under control we would have a 25% bump in PFT's if we got rid of the pseudomonas we would get another 25% bump.

4. Congestion caused by defect in respiratory transport channels - Ah yes the underlying disease mechanism that causes this all. Isnt it interesting that we are here at all. So something must be working to get this far. Isnt it true that babies with Cf lungs are clear and not affected for a few years. Is there something we are missing what really makes us sick and how can we address this. If we are wrong from the beginning what hope so us 41 year olds have.

http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=903&threadid=611811&enterthread=y

rmotion

" albino15 Oreos with peanut butter on them. McDonald's, Taco Bell, Really any fast food. "
OMG just the thougt of that combo makes me want to puke. Sorry you are headed in the completely wrong direction in regards to your nutrition and health. Stop, get out of the car and run the other way.(FEV's and ability taken into account)!
Nutrion has to be the first step in living with CF. Not to harsh your food chemical mellow and i use to be there. I use to love Taco Bell but once I saw the "green" light things improved.
Please look at these posts and get back to me to humor me that you are going to do something different!

G-tube advantage
http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=903&threadid=610454&enterthread=y

We are suffering from a perfect storm of health problems

1. Metabolic syndrome - Long term blood sugars, not controlled properly in the body, taxes the system to where most Cf's adults get clinical CFRD. This can be avoided, irrespective of what clinical outlines say. If we don't tax our systems we can do better. Learn about blood sugar and how we are so affected by it.

2. Nutrient Mal-absorbtion - We cant absorb the right amount of nutrients especially fats. This is such a catch 22 that it is so imperitive to get our stomachs straightend out so we get nutrients we need to live. For me it was finding out that I have a gluten intolerance once I was gluten free my health did a 120, notice it was not a 180 - the other 60 degrees is the right carbs and healthy foods. Still work in progress for the rest

3. Inflammation of cells and lungs - We cant help it our immune systems just don't shut off, it causes long term damage. I remember once asking what CRP is on my labs. I was quickly answered that in CF it is always high no need to worry about it. I accepted and moved on. Well what it is besides just an indicator of heart disease but an indicator of unbridled inflammation in our bodies namely our lungs. Its like we have a non stop splinter and our lungs are always inflamed. I bet if we got this under control we would have a 25% bump in PFT's if we got rid of the pseudomonas we would get another 25% bump.

4. Congestion caused by defect in respiratory transport channels - Ah yes the underlying disease mechanism that causes this all. Isnt it interesting that we are here at all. So something must be working to get this far. Isnt it true that babies with Cf lungs are clear and not affected for a few years. Is there something we are missing what really makes us sick and how can we address this. If we are wrong from the beginning what hope so us 41 year olds have.

http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=903&threadid=611811&enterthread=y

rmotion

<br />OMG just the thougt of that combo makes me want to puke. Sorry you are headed in the completely wrong direction in regards to your nutrition and health. Stop, get out of the car and run the other way.(FEV's and ability taken into account)!
<br /> Nutrion has to be the first step in living with CF. Not to harsh your food chemical mellow and i use to be there. I use to love Taco Bell but once I saw the "green" light things improved.
<br />Please look at these posts and get back to me to humor me that you are going to do something different!
<br />
<br />G-tube advantage
<br />http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=903&threadid=610454&enterthread=y
<br />
<br />We are suffering from a perfect storm of health problems
<br />
<br />1. Metabolic syndrome - Long term blood sugars, not controlled properly in the body, taxes the system to where most Cf's adults get clinical CFRD. This can be avoided, irrespective of what clinical outlines say. If we don't tax our systems we can do better. Learn about blood sugar and how we are so affected by it.
<br />
<br />2. Nutrient Mal-absorbtion - We cant absorb the right amount of nutrients especially fats. This is such a catch 22 that it is so imperitive to get our stomachs straightend out so we get nutrients we need to live. For me it was finding out that I have a gluten intolerance once I was gluten free my health did a 120, notice it was not a 180 - the other 60 degrees is the right carbs and healthy foods. Still work in progress for the rest
<br />
<br />3. Inflammation of cells and lungs - We cant help it our immune systems just don't shut off, it causes long term damage. I remember once asking what CRP is on my labs. I was quickly answered that in CF it is always high no need to worry about it. I accepted and moved on. Well what it is besides just an indicator of heart disease but an indicator of unbridled inflammation in our bodies namely our lungs. Its like we have a non stop splinter and our lungs are always inflamed. I bet if we got this under control we would have a 25% bump in PFT's if we got rid of the pseudomonas we would get another 25% bump.
<br />
<br />4. Congestion caused by defect in respiratory transport channels - Ah yes the underlying disease mechanism that causes this all. Isnt it interesting that we are here at all. So something must be working to get this far. Isnt it true that babies with Cf lungs are clear and not affected for a few years. Is there something we are missing what really makes us sick and how can we address this. If we are wrong from the beginning what hope so us 41 year olds have.
<br />
<br />
<br />http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=903&threadid=611811&enterthread=y
<br />
<br />
<br />

Incomudrox

I'm sorry to say but all of the ideas in this thread are HORRIBLE, with the exception of rmotion. Eat all that junk food, get CFRD one more thing to add to the list. Just because we have CF doesn't mean we can eat whatever we want. That's a huge misconception that CF doctors portrayed to me at least as I grew up. This is the wrong attitude to have. Too many simple carbs is asking for trouble, and trouble is what we all got. We need to eat more like bodybuilders. The American heart association is now going back on years of incorrect data to say that bodybuilders from the 30s have been right all along. This idea that we should eat junk food and piles of it has got to end. HFCS is the devil, write that down now. Then eliminate it from your diet. You will be much better off. Start taking in MCT's and good things, you will gain weight and feel better than you ever have in your life. Look at people in Europe you know why they are not a bunch of fatasses? Because they don't live in a nations like Americans where foods are chalk full of poisons. I may sound like a conspirator theorist, but the truth has been coming out for years and it's not going to stop. So keep eating crap tons of ice cream and Krispy cream donuts, don't wonder why you got CFRD later, or can't gain weight and feel like garbage 24/7 of your life. The last thing I want to say is proper high quality PROTEIN, chicken breasts and turkey people! First thing in the morning!

Incomudrox

I'm sorry to say but all of the ideas in this thread are HORRIBLE, with the exception of rmotion. Eat all that junk food, get CFRD one more thing to add to the list. Just because we have CF doesn't mean we can eat whatever we want. That's a huge misconception that CF doctors portrayed to me at least as I grew up. This is the wrong attitude to have. Too many simple carbs is asking for trouble, and trouble is what we all got. We need to eat more like bodybuilders. The American heart association is now going back on years of incorrect data to say that bodybuilders from the 30s have been right all along. This idea that we should eat junk food and piles of it has got to end. HFCS is the devil, write that down now. Then eliminate it from your diet. You will be much better off. Start taking in MCT's and good things, you will gain weight and feel better than you ever have in your life. Look at people in Europe you know why they are not a bunch of fatasses? Because they don't live in a nations like Americans where foods are chalk full of poisons. I may sound like a conspirator theorist, but the truth has been coming out for years and it's not going to stop. So keep eating crap tons of ice cream and Krispy cream donuts, don't wonder why you got CFRD later, or can't gain weight and feel like garbage 24/7 of your life. The last thing I want to say is proper high quality PROTEIN, chicken breasts and turkey people! First thing in the morning!

Incomudrox

cf71

Ensure<div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>------------------------</div><div>cf71\female 71 cf\dx @70 yrs,PA</div>