Weight Gain

Printer

Incomudrox:

OH MY GOD, I DIDN'T KNOW. I'll stop eating ICE CREAM AND POTATO CHIPS now.

Well maybe not.

Bill

Printer

Incomudrox:

Well maybe not.

Bill

Printer

Incomudrox:
<br />
<br />OH MY GOD, I DIDN'T KNOW. I'll stop eating ICE CREAM AND POTATO CHIPS now.
<br />
<br />Well maybe not.
<br />
<br />Bill

Incomudrox

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Printer</b></i>

Incomudrox:

Well maybe not.

Bill</end quote></div><br><br>We can't all know everything now can we? I'm picking up what you are putting down.... I'll leave my statement as it was, however I'm trying to warn the young kids who are being misinformed. Everyone can live their life as they choose, but should also be informed so they can make their own decisions with the information they are given. If you want to eat potato chips and icecream no one is stopping you, and obviously you will not let anyone stop you. That is your choice and it should be respected. I could say more but I won't.<br>

Incomudrox

Incomudrox:

Well maybe not.

Bill</end quote><br><br>We can't all know everything now can we? I'm picking up what you are putting down.... I'll leave my statement as it was, however I'm trying to warn the young kids who are being misinformed. Everyone can live their life as they choose, but should also be informed so they can make their own decisions with the information they are given. If you want to eat potato chips and icecream no one is stopping you, and obviously you will not let anyone stop you. That is your choice and it should be respected. I could say more but I won't.<br>

Incomudrox

Incomudrox:

Well maybe not.

Bill</end quote><br><br>We can't all know everything now can we? I'm picking up what you are putting down.... I'll leave my statement as it was, however I'm trying to warn the young kids who are being misinformed. Everyone can live their life as they choose, but should also be informed so they can make their own decisions with the information they are given. If you want to eat potato chips and icecream no one is stopping you, and obviously you will not let anyone stop you. That is your choice and it should be respected. I could say more but I won't.<br>

Havoc

I have to agree, just because high fat and huge amounts of carbs will put on weight, it's extremely unhealthy. I've seen a complete 180 in the nutritionist team at my center. They recommend fats, but good fats such as nuts or avocado and if you eat carbs, make sure you balance it with something that metabolizes more slowly. No more do they say to go out and consume junk food in large quantities. I think this is still a very large misconception in the CF community.

Havoc

I have to agree, just because high fat and huge amounts of carbs will put on weight, it's extremely unhealthy. I've seen a complete 180 in the nutritionist team at my center. They recommend fats, but good fats such as nuts or avocado and if you eat carbs, make sure you balance it with something that metabolizes more slowly. No more do they say to go out and consume junk food in large quantities. I think this is still a very large misconception in the CF community.

Havoc

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS likes eating nuts; however, due to his digestive/blockage issues in his past he needs to limit his intake. Too much of a good thing. So no mass quantities -- everything in moderation. Popcorn is fine though.  Dairy seems to be okay -- he prefers aged cheddar cheese. Also prefers saltier things to sweets, which if fine 'cuz I surely don't need cookies, ice cream, candy in the house if he's not going to eat it.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS likes eating nuts; however, due to his digestive/blockage issues in his past he needs to limit his intake. Too much of a good thing. So no mass quantities -- everything in moderation. Popcorn is fine though. Dairy seems to be okay -- he prefers aged cheddar cheese. Also prefers saltier things to sweets, which if fine 'cuz I surely don't need cookies, ice cream, candy in the house if he's not going to eat it.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS likes eating nuts; however, due to his digestive/blockage issues in his past he needs to limit his intake. Too much of a good thing. So no mass quantities -- everything in moderation. Popcorn is fine though. Dairy seems to be okay -- he prefers aged cheddar cheese. Also prefers saltier things to sweets, which if fine 'cuz I surely don't need cookies, ice cream, candy in the house if he's not going to eat it.

Printer

Incomudrox:

Feel free to say more. Say as much as you like. I'm assuming that you are an MD or a RD. We need youe instructions.

Bill

Printer

Incomudrox:

Feel free to say more. Say as much as you like. I'm assuming that you are an MD or a RD. We need youe instructions.

Bill

Printer

Incomudrox:
<br />
<br />Feel free to say more. Say as much as you like. I'm assuming that you are an MD or a RD. We need youe instructions.
<br />
<br />Bill

Incomudrox

Incomudrox:

Bill</end quote></div><br><br>I am no doctor, I just like to stay well informed and get my information from multiple reputable sources. <br><br>Research in the US and in Europe, compare and contrast the two and take a lot of what makes common sense given knowledge about the human body and nutrition. <br><br>I could go on a whole tyraid about how you can treat diabetes with Alpha Lipoic acid and that the American diabetes foundation is a joke but I'm not going too. I use R-ALA with great success, I have tons more energy from taking it and have normal BS. ALA mimics insulin in the body and helps with the uptake of glycogen and creatine (if you bb) to feed muscles after a workout while you're in your "window of opportunity". But even if you don't bb it's an extremely powerful anti-oxidant that is the key to making other nutrients and anti-oxidants in your body function properly. However just to cover myself here, it should not be taken if you have a low Thiamin level or it can result in death in extreme situations. Low being anything less than the predicted amount of a child or adult of a normal healthy body weight and height.<br><br>People should conduct their own research, they should call me out, they should read until they can't read anymore, so they can make informed decisions is all I'm saying.<br>

Incomudrox

Incomudrox:

Bill</end quote><br><br>I am no doctor, I just like to stay well informed and get my information from multiple reputable sources. <br><br>Research in the US and in Europe, compare and contrast the two and take a lot of what makes common sense given knowledge about the human body and nutrition. <br><br>I could go on a whole tyraid about how you can treat diabetes with Alpha Lipoic acid and that the American diabetes foundation is a joke but I'm not going too. I use R-ALA with great success, I have tons more energy from taking it and have normal BS. ALA mimics insulin in the body and helps with the uptake of glycogen and creatine (if you bb) to feed muscles after a workout while you're in your "window of opportunity". But even if you don't bb it's an extremely powerful anti-oxidant that is the key to making other nutrients and anti-oxidants in your body function properly. However just to cover myself here, it should not be taken if you have a low Thiamin level or it can result in death in extreme situations. Low being anything less than the predicted amount of a child or adult of a normal healthy body weight and height.<br><br>People should conduct their own research, they should call me out, they should read until they can't read anymore, so they can make informed decisions is all I'm saying.<br>

Incomudrox

Incomudrox:

Bill</end quote><br><br>I am no doctor, I just like to stay well informed and get my information from multiple reputable sources. <br><br>Research in the US and in Europe, compare and contrast the two and take a lot of what makes common sense given knowledge about the human body and nutrition. <br><br>I could go on a whole tyraid about how you can treat diabetes with Alpha Lipoic acid and that the American diabetes foundation is a joke but I'm not going too. I use R-ALA with great success, I have tons more energy from taking it and have normal BS. ALA mimics insulin in the body and helps with the uptake of glycogen and creatine (if you bb) to feed muscles after a workout while you're in your "window of opportunity". But even if you don't bb it's an extremely powerful anti-oxidant that is the key to making other nutrients and anti-oxidants in your body function properly. However just to cover myself here, it should not be taken if you have a low Thiamin level or it can result in death in extreme situations. Low being anything less than the predicted amount of a child or adult of a normal healthy body weight and height.<br><br>People should conduct their own research, they should call me out, they should read until they can't read anymore, so they can make informed decisions is all I'm saying.<br>

Incomudrox

However I should not be s oblivious but to answer the OP's question and I apologize, if you want to gain weight, follow these simple rules:
<br>
<br>1g Protein/ Per pound you weight.
<br>
<br>MTC's (Coconut oil, palm kernel oil) MTC's are absorbed by the liver and do not need enzymes to be consumed, making them ideal for people with CF. If you like butter, consider making MCT butter, take regular salted butter leave it at room temp with coconut oil mix together and use as a spread, good way to get easy extra calories. Make sure to put back in the fridge.
<br>
<br>Complex Carbs - Whole grain pasta's, Whole grain bread, Sweet potato's. All excellent, because they are absorbed slower you are able to regular blood sugar and make better use of what you are eating. You still do need to have some Simple carbs, first thing in the morning so that you can feed your brain early. The human brain uses sugar plain and simple. However in diets with low amounts of sugar, the body is smart, and starts to produce keytones to feed the brain, so when in doubt let the body do it's own thing.
<br>
<br>EAA's (Essential Amino Acid's) for us this translates to Albumin production in the body which we so desperately need as people with CF. Albumin is a major building block of our body as almost all muscles need amino acid's to build. This will also increase protein synthesis in the body to repair your body while you sleep.
<br><br>EDIT: EAA's This is your meat! Red meat has very clean Albumin, if you have high blood sugar problems, look for GRASS fed beef as opposed to grain fed. It's more expensive but better handled by the body.<br>
<br>That brings me to another point, SLEEP is crucial to anyone, but so much so us. The body repairs its self while we sleep and makes it supper important. Protein before bed and first thing in the morning!
<br>
<br>EFA's (Essential Fatty Acid's) Omega's concentrate mainly on Omega 3. Most American's have an over abundance of Omega 6 from all the trap we eat! The body can make Omega 6 and Omega 9 from Omega 3 if it needs more. The balance of Omega 3 to Omega 6 should be about 4:2.5 (Omega3/Omega6). Sources of Omega 3's are your salmon, Flex seeds, some beans, most fish in general, and walnuts, as well as Olive oil.
<br>
<br>Also another comment on ALA. ALA also helps regulate free radicals in the body!
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Incomudrox

However I should not be s oblivious but to answer the OP's question and I apologize, if you want to gain weight, follow these simple rules:
<br>
<br>1g Protein/ Per pound you weight.
<br>
<br>MTC's (Coconut oil, palm kernel oil) MTC's are absorbed by the liver and do not need enzymes to be consumed, making them ideal for people with CF. If you like butter, consider making MCT butter, take regular salted butter leave it at room temp with coconut oil mix together and use as a spread, good way to get easy extra calories. Make sure to put back in the fridge.
<br>
<br>Complex Carbs - Whole grain pasta's, Whole grain bread, Sweet potato's. All excellent, because they are absorbed slower you are able to regular blood sugar and make better use of what you are eating. You still do need to have some Simple carbs, first thing in the morning so that you can feed your brain early. The human brain uses sugar plain and simple. However in diets with low amounts of sugar, the body is smart, and starts to produce keytones to feed the brain, so when in doubt let the body do it's own thing.
<br>
<br>EAA's (Essential Amino Acid's) for us this translates to Albumin production in the body which we so desperately need as people with CF. Albumin is a major building block of our body as almost all muscles need amino acid's to build. This will also increase protein synthesis in the body to repair your body while you sleep.
<br><br>EDIT: EAA's This is your meat! Red meat has very clean Albumin, if you have high blood sugar problems, look for GRASS fed beef as opposed to grain fed. It's more expensive but better handled by the body.<br>
<br>That brings me to another point, SLEEP is crucial to anyone, but so much so us. The body repairs its self while we sleep and makes it supper important. Protein before bed and first thing in the morning!
<br>
<br>EFA's (Essential Fatty Acid's) Omega's concentrate mainly on Omega 3. Most American's have an over abundance of Omega 6 from all the trap we eat! The body can make Omega 6 and Omega 9 from Omega 3 if it needs more. The balance of Omega 3 to Omega 6 should be about 4:2.5 (Omega3/Omega6). Sources of Omega 3's are your salmon, Flex seeds, some beans, most fish in general, and walnuts, as well as Olive oil.
<br>
<br>Also another comment on ALA. ALA also helps regulate free radicals in the body!
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>