Weird SOB, weight on chest

imported_Momto2

OK, so I was waiting for my daughter's practice to finish when sudden I felt like I had this heavy weight on my chest and was extremely short of breath. My O2 sats, which had been happily bopping along at 93, suddenly dropped to 86 and my heart rate accelerated. Then, after about 2-3 minutes, it just disappeared, my O2 popped right back up and my HR normalized. About 5 minutes later, it happened again, then again. Each time it was exactly the same. I DO have a history of some arrythmias and have an ASD, but this wasnt like ANYTHING I've experienced before. If there had been pain associated with it, I'd swear it was like a mild heart attack. Anyone have any ideas? Has this happened to you before? I've been fine every since (it was two days ago). I didnt get sweaty, but I was anxious, understandably, since I was thinking WTF.........

ethan508

Sounds a like an asthma attack. Talk to your Dr. and maybe start carrying around a metered dose inhaler (MDI) of albuterol.

Melissa75

Administrator
Have you called your dr yet? I am guessing that he/she will order a cardiac workup. Very curious. Sounds unpleasant. How high was your heartrate? I've got familiarity with supra-ventricular-tachycardia (not me) and the heart rate goes into the low and mid 200s.

cssusa

could it be esophageal reflux gas or hiatal herniation

OK, so I was waiting for my daughter's practice to finish when sudden I felt like I had this heavy weight on my chest and was extremely short of breath. My O2 sats, which had been happily bopping along at 93, suddenly dropped to 86 and my heart rate accelerated. Then, after about 2-3 minutes, it just disappeared, my O2 popped right back up and my HR normalized. About 5 minutes later, it happened again, then again. Each time it was exactly the same. I DO have a history of some arrythmias and have an ASD, but this wasnt like ANYTHING I've experienced before. If there had been pain associated with it, I'd swear it was like a mild heart attack. Anyone have any ideas? Has this happened to you before? I've been fine every since (it was two days ago). I didnt get sweaty, but I was anxious, understandably, since I was thinking WTF.........

It sounds like esophageal reflux spasm from Barrets Syndrome or Hiatal Herneation. Both can restrict your heart through pressure which disrupts the pumping efficiency almost like a period of short term ejection fraction reduction such as is a warning of congestive heart failure. Are you taking digoxin and on a BP and a Beta Blocker?

H

Hail2Pitt

Along the lines of what Melissa said, I'd say call your doctor, and perhaps expect a cardiac workup.

About four years ago, I started experiencing what turned out to be panic attacks. It felt like a weight was on my chest, I had trouble getting my breath, my heart would pound, my pulse and blood pressure would shoot up, and I felt dizzy. They did tons of tests on me, but found nothing, and eventually I realized that they were panic attacks. They would happen at the strangest times, and usually when I wasn't feeling stressed - when I was taking a walk during lunch, when I was at the grocery store, when I was at church, etc. You absolutely have to rule out any physical issue first, so I strongly encourage you to contact your doctor. But, if they end up stumped, don't rule out something like that.

Good luck!!!

W

windex125

Had very similar experience was panic attacks hv been taking Klonpin 1mg for 5yrs now sometimes I need a second during the day. but not hv a attack like that since. Ck all aspects. I did as well. Pat