went to first evaluation

haleybabe3843

i just got back from baylor university health center and had my first evaluation done, well they just called us back and let us know that we have been accepted to start the whole other evalutaion process. while we were at the health center they discussed survival after the transplant and the doctor said that 50% of people that have a lung transplant live for only 5 years. that number shocked me and my boyfriend completely. he is in the airforce and wont be able to be there for me during the time of the transplant, and now after hearing that i might only have 5 years he is rethinking wether or not he wants to be with me. im so upset about all of this.... right now we are still together but he wont call me and told me that he is distancing him self from me. i dont know what to do.

haleybabe3843

i just got back from baylor university health center and had my first evaluation done, well they just called us back and let us know that we have been accepted to start the whole other evalutaion process. while we were at the health center they discussed survival after the transplant and the doctor said that 50% of people that have a lung transplant live for only 5 years. that number shocked me and my boyfriend completely. he is in the airforce and wont be able to be there for me during the time of the transplant, and now after hearing that i might only have 5 years he is rethinking wether or not he wants to be with me. im so upset about all of this.... right now we are still together but he wont call me and told me that he is distancing him self from me. i dont know what to do.

haleybabe3843

haleybabe3843

haleybabe3843

Breezy

Firstly, that's retarded if your bf is going to leave you all b/c of a stat.

Secondly, I know the stats are scary. I myself am in the tx evaluation process, and there are several times that i fee like I am stepping into a death trap.

However, these are just STATS and as long as you take the utmost care with your health afterwards, there is absolutely no reason why you should not live 10, 20 + years post tx. There are however, no stats for those (yet) b/c lung tx wasn't done until the late 80's.

Hopefully, you and I and everyone who's had tx here on the boad will be amongst those stats who surpass 20 years!

Good luck to you!

Breezy

Secondly, I know the stats are scary. I myself am in the tx evaluation process, and there are several times that i fee like I am stepping into a death trap.

However, these are just STATS and as long as you take the utmost care with your health afterwards, there is absolutely no reason why you should not live 10, 20 + years post tx. There are however, no stats for those (yet) b/c lung tx wasn't done until the late 80's.

Hopefully, you and I and everyone who's had tx here on the boad will be amongst those stats who surpass 20 years!

Good luck to you!

Breezy

Good luck to you!

Breezy

Good luck to you!

Breezy

Good luck to you!

CountryGirl

Hey there. I just had my lung transplant July 25th. I just wanted to say I compltely agree with Bree! There are alot of people out there who live for 10+ yrs post transplant. Did you doctor also tell you that CF patients do relatively better than lung transplants done for other reasons and did you think about that most lung transplants are done on older people in the first place...Just some thoughts.

CountryGirl

Hey there. I just had my lung transplant July 25th. I just wanted to say I compltely agree with Bree! There are alot of people out there who live for 10+ yrs post transplant. Did you doctor also tell you that CF patients do relatively better than lung transplants done for other reasons and did you think about that most lung transplants are done on older people in the first place...Just some thoughts.

CountryGirl

CountryGirl

CountryGirl

coltsfan715

Hey there Haley,

I am happy that your first appointment went well and that they are ready to accept you for further testing. I am sorry to hear of your boyfriends reaction though.

I will say this and I am sure you don't want to hear it, but I must say it because I have been in similar situations over the years (not so much with transplant in particular but with other CF related issues). I have had several boyfriends want to end things when my health started to suffer and things became difficult. Those people loved me out of convenience, they didn't have what it takes to stick through the hard stuff. It sometimes takes a while to find someone that can handle it or that loves you so purely that it doesn't matter if they had to go to hell for you they would. I am sorry you are going through this especially right now, but hopefully things will work out for the best in the long run (no matter what happens).

Also about stats. I started the transplant process last December and was transplanted in May of this year. I was really afraid at first because the long term stats (i.e 5 years post) were a bit lower than the average national stats. I talked to the doc about it and realized that my center does a lot of transplants on people that no one else will take. They do transplants on people up to 75 yrs old (single lung) and they have taken cepacia patients as well as other "higher" risk patients. I was also wondering if it was worth the struggle for what could possibly be a short period of time. I ultimately decided yes obviously and am thrilled that I did.

I was fortunate enough that despite me telling my fiance to just leave me he didn't. I agree with what Bree and Anna said I have also been told that CF patients have a better outcome at times. We are already used to the daily grindo f meds and having to take constant care of ourselves. Alot of transplant patients are not sufferers from a chronic disease. Many have developed a problem later in life and are having to now adjust to taking care of themselves after a lifetime of living freely.

I find that when I hear other transplant patients complain of all the meds I laugh because they feel chained at times to the meds and having to take care of themselves and I feel set free.

I would reccommend that you decide what you want to do for yourself - though you may technically still be dating your boyfriend do not let his opinions or his future impact your decision because he is not considering you in his decision making right now. Make this decision for yourself not for him and yes it will suck if he up and leaves, but at least you will know that you made this decision for yourself and you can rest easy in that regard.

Transplant is a full on commitment and if you are ready to make it I am sure you will do great. It is not something that can be done half @$$, so please don't let this issue with your b/f discourage you in regards to transplant.

Also something I decided for myself that may be something to tell your b/f. Stats are just stats - you can't think of yourself as fitting into the statistics - make your own statistics. It is up to you to set your own limits, standards. It is your road to walk and only you can walk it - it doesn't matter how many people have done it before you and how many will come after you. The road you walk with transplant will be uniquely yours - it may have things in common with others experiences but then again it may be amazingly different.

I wish you all the best and sorry for rambling a but ...

Take Care and All the Best to You,

Love Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hey there Haley,

I am happy that your first appointment went well and that they are ready to accept you for further testing. I am sorry to hear of your boyfriends reaction though.

I will say this and I am sure you don't want to hear it, but I must say it because I have been in similar situations over the years (not so much with transplant in particular but with other CF related issues). I have had several boyfriends want to end things when my health started to suffer and things became difficult. Those people loved me out of convenience, they didn't have what it takes to stick through the hard stuff. It sometimes takes a while to find someone that can handle it or that loves you so purely that it doesn't matter if they had to go to hell for you they would. I am sorry you are going through this especially right now, but hopefully things will work out for the best in the long run (no matter what happens).

Also about stats. I started the transplant process last December and was transplanted in May of this year. I was really afraid at first because the long term stats (i.e 5 years post) were a bit lower than the average national stats. I talked to the doc about it and realized that my center does a lot of transplants on people that no one else will take. They do transplants on people up to 75 yrs old (single lung) and they have taken cepacia patients as well as other "higher" risk patients. I was also wondering if it was worth the struggle for what could possibly be a short period of time. I ultimately decided yes obviously and am thrilled that I did.

I was fortunate enough that despite me telling my fiance to just leave me he didn't. I agree with what Bree and Anna said I have also been told that CF patients have a better outcome at times. We are already used to the daily grindo f meds and having to take constant care of ourselves. Alot of transplant patients are not sufferers from a chronic disease. Many have developed a problem later in life and are having to now adjust to taking care of themselves after a lifetime of living freely.

I find that when I hear other transplant patients complain of all the meds I laugh because they feel chained at times to the meds and having to take care of themselves and I feel set free.

I would reccommend that you decide what you want to do for yourself - though you may technically still be dating your boyfriend do not let his opinions or his future impact your decision because he is not considering you in his decision making right now. Make this decision for yourself not for him and yes it will suck if he up and leaves, but at least you will know that you made this decision for yourself and you can rest easy in that regard.

Transplant is a full on commitment and if you are ready to make it I am sure you will do great. It is not something that can be done half @$$, so please don't let this issue with your b/f discourage you in regards to transplant.

Also something I decided for myself that may be something to tell your b/f. Stats are just stats - you can't think of yourself as fitting into the statistics - make your own statistics. It is up to you to set your own limits, standards. It is your road to walk and only you can walk it - it doesn't matter how many people have done it before you and how many will come after you. The road you walk with transplant will be uniquely yours - it may have things in common with others experiences but then again it may be amazingly different.

Love Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hey there Haley,

Love Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hey there Haley,

Love Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hey there Haley,

Love Lindsey