What do you say to your child when he says he wishes he were normal?

scrapper1264

All this advice is truly a blessing. Thank you! I am reading the Parenting Children with Chronic Health Conditions: Love & Logics book and it's very inspiring and informative!

What is noraml anyway? sickness wil affect a person either when they are young or later on in life. it is normal for a person to be sick. kids today have alot of issues such as allergies, learning disablities, behavior problems and other illnesses. what has helped me is God. He has given me strength and hope and peace to handle CF.

Treble

But what if this "god" is not a factor in one's life? Where does one draw strength from?

That'd be from within yourself. and.. video games/friends (altho distant ones).. XD

That's what I did atleast.

Through all the bullying, and aches/pains, and hospital stays (ALWAYS on my birthday too), I found comfort in the people who accepted me/the things we did with our time, and in myself when things got far too messy.

Also, to be totally honestly, my parents/grandparents tried to shove god/religion down my throat non stop as a kid, and ho mang, did I ever reject it! lol.
The day they gave up (according to my dad, who blame my mom for this) was a funny as hell one. Apparently I came home from school, and it was CCD time! and I REFUSED to go! I was clinging to the couch, nails dug into it, screaming and crying saying don't make me go, lol.
Now, for the record, it wasn't like I was picked on at CCD as a kid. Infact everyone there was as dosile and upset about being there as I was it seemed, lololol.
I just HATED it, and I hated what they tried to force me to accept, and I hated that it took up my time like that when I should be enjoying myself after suffering from dealing with the horrors that were school. XD

Oh man, im rambling. I can't help it sometimes since I have a pretty messed up/funny past. I'll get thinkin on it and just won't be able to stop. Like the time I couldn't go down the staircase when I was 8, because it was pitch black and the aliens from the movie aliens were OFCOURSE down there. I mean why wouldn't they be? It was pitch black! It was the perfect place for them to nomnomnom on me! XD

I would not try to mix in religion too far at this age.. it can be tricky and cause the opposite
but maybe it would be a good idea just to ask what is wrong exactly...why this question at this point - and try to deal with the exact problem - not the on the whole one... like when Asia said why me - I asked why - what is cf to her - and she said she is angry at taking pils and inhalations- so we tried to talk about being angry at pils and inhalations - not about having cf - but she is much younger

jamoncita

You should respond, "I wish I was normal, too." Try to look very sad about what a weirdo you are. I think by making a big issue of this your are basically affirming to him that he is indeed "abnormal." Tell him there are tens of thousands of people with CF, just like him, just as there are millions of people who share in the things he enjoys or who share similar (positive) qualities that he has. And tell him that's why you love him :) With any sickness or struggle in life, it is important not to pity ourselves, and we must remember we aren't alone.