What does your CF Clinic say re Exercise

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I'm cross posting in case some folks look only at forums and not for latest posts:

I'm wondering what different CF tell patients re exercise. Obviously it is good, but do your Centers:
1) Give specifics of what types to do and how long, like they do for nutrition (eat so many calories a day), so say exercise 20 minutes per day, jogging or stairmaster?
2) Do they ever tell you not to exercise because of weight loss and a need to preserve weight?
3) Does this change as the kids get older??

Thanks

Gammaw

Super Moderator
AboveAll, I've never heard of a suggestion that a CFer restrict exercise. I suppose there may be some situations , but I can't imagine. The only limits I can imagine is how ever much you can tolerate. Maybe someone will chime in here. Exercise helps increase lung function - for CFers, people with COPD, most everyone. And of course it has numerous other benefits as well. In my own situation, let me give you an example. Our little guy was hovering around at 85 FEV1. He did not miss treatments and got extra vesting when sick. We were quick to get him treatment when any cold or virus took hold. We followed all recommendations and he was very healthy, great weight, height, growth, appetite, etc. But he still hovered at 85 percentile. Finally, after repeatedly reading about marathon runners and weight lifters who had CF and found it helped maintain good lung function, I gave up my rule restricting him to only one extracurricular activity after school. I have let him take gymnastics, basketball, baseball, and swimming almost simultaneously. His FEV1 jumped to 96 and his small airways improved significantly even when sick. We're still in the trial stage and exercise may have nothing to do with it. But so far so good. I'd find something your kiddo likes and let him do it. I tell the gym teachers and coaches that if he starts coughing or gets winded, let him sit. Wait until he's ready. Drink something to replace the electrolytes. And do it some more - don't coddle, just support. Let him tell you if he needs a break. But not the other way around.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Well you can tell him whatever you want since you're his mom! But as for me, I wouldn't tell him he needs a break. I'd just given him permission to take one if he needs it.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Hee hee. No, I meant I tell him I need a break! I don't tell him he needs a break!!! You missed my I'm old and out of shape joke!

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Oh heck. I get tired just watching him run and sweat! but I didn't really answer your question. The CF clinic never says exactly how much exercise he should get other than the standard pediatric recommendation for at least an hour of exercise a day. But whenever I ask them if something he's doing is too much they say no! I have asked their physical therapist what the best exercise is. She has told me that swimming is high up there as well as basketball.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Thanks for added info! The thing I'm working on now is how to tell him it isn't appropriate to strip to his skivvies after running hard! He gets so darn sweaty and hot that he'll just strip in the living room! I don't have the heart to say no because he sweats sooooo bad!

D

Dantyler

Thanks for added info! The thing I'm working on now is how to tell him it isn't appropriate to strip to his skivvies after running hard! He gets so darn sweaty and hot that he'll just strip in the living room! I don't have the heart to say no because he sweats sooooo bad!

It is but obvious that by doing exercise, it will sweat. Nothing can be done to stop sweating
-----------
ventouse palper-rouler

imported_Momto2

My clinic says DO IT. The more, the merrier, as much as can be tolerated. It has so many wide-reaching benefits, lung clearance and health is just one of them. When I was failure to thrive as a child, my doc at that time greatly supported my running and other sports. She was firmly convinced that a high activity level would increase my life expectancy. I dont have problems keeping weight on now, in fact, the opposite! I exercise now for lung and body health and to keep my BMI reasonable.........ah, the worm does turn! And if you sweat a lot, drink tons, take salt pills, and eat bananas or another K source.

ethan508

I like the gatorade powder so that I can mix to the strength I like or bump up the salt a little (I like mine extra strong).

mamaScarlett

My clinic says exercise is crucial and encourages as much as I can do. Right now I run about 12 miles a week, and do core and weights in between running days. Hydration and salt replacement is vital. There are good products for runners/athletes that are great for Cfers. Sport beans-an electrolyte jelly bean-are good. You can pop in a handful during a workout. And there's other electrolyte/sodium snacks, gummies, etc.