What is good about CF?

NoExcuses

CF is tough. And it sucks. And it's just plane horrible to deal with.

But on occasion I think a new perspective can be incredibly helpful.

When I went to visit Warwick in Sept 2006 the first thing he asked me was to list 3 good things about CF. I was so taken aback I was speechless. I flew all this way to have some guy tell me CF has a good side????

But his approach is wise. The mind is connected to the body. And being optimistic and looking at the bright side of things - not always, but on occasion - can do us some good.

So I challenge each and every one of you to list 3 things that are good about CF. It will set 2008 off right. Here are my 3:

1. I am much closer with my family than I would be if I didn't have CF. I interact with them more, we care for each other more (it's mutual), and our bond is stronger.

2. I am much more focused in my life. I'm not sure how much time I'm going to get here, so I'm focused on what I want to accomplish in life and I'm going full force. I have accomplished things that many people without health issues haven't. I'm not better than them or smarter than them. I just have a greater sense of urgency to get things done.

3. I have a greater perspective on what matters in life. I'm not perfect, that's for sure. But it's more difficult for me to get caught up in things that are typical for my age and the city I live in because I simply don't have that luxury. I can't have plastic surgery like everyone in their mother in my city - and so I realize that looks do matter but not to the point of surgery.

Surgery is to fix problems like my hernia, my gallbladder or for tx. Money isn't everything, although it can be helpful. Many people I go to school with want the highest paying job possible. I guess who wouldn't? But I don't have the luxury of working 70 hours a week and thus I have taught myself that it's not all about money. It's about work/life balance, professional growth, those who you work with, and ultimately making a difference.

I think without CF my perspective on so many big life issues such as those listed above would be dramatically different. And I think I'm a better person for it.

Can't wait to read what the rest of you have to say....

NoExcuses

When I went to visit Warwick in Sept 2006 the first thing he asked me was to list 3 good things about CF. I was so taken aback I was speechless. I flew all this way to have some guy tell me CF has a good side????

But his approach is wise. The mind is connected to the body. And being optimistic and looking at the bright side of things - not always, but on occasion - can do us some good.

So I challenge each and every one of you to list 3 things that are good about CF. It will set 2008 off right. Here are my 3:

1. I am much closer with my family than I would be if I didn't have CF. I interact with them more, we care for each other more (it's mutual), and our bond is stronger.

2. I am much more focused in my life. I'm not sure how much time I'm going to get here, so I'm focused on what I want to accomplish in life and I'm going full force. I have accomplished things that many people without health issues haven't. I'm not better than them or smarter than them. I just have a greater sense of urgency to get things done.

3. I have a greater perspective on what matters in life. I'm not perfect, that's for sure. But it's more difficult for me to get caught up in things that are typical for my age and the city I live in because I simply don't have that luxury. I can't have plastic surgery like everyone in their mother in my city - and so I realize that looks do matter but not to the point of surgery.

Surgery is to fix problems like my hernia, my gallbladder or for tx. Money isn't everything, although it can be helpful. Many people I go to school with want the highest paying job possible. I guess who wouldn't? But I don't have the luxury of working 70 hours a week and thus I have taught myself that it's not all about money. It's about work/life balance, professional growth, those who you work with, and ultimately making a difference.

I think without CF my perspective on so many big life issues such as those listed above would be dramatically different. And I think I'm a better person for it.

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

jamie6girl

I'm glad that you've posted this... I've thought about something similar before, but just didn't post it. Things that I like about CF(no order):<br><br><br>
1. The thrill of getting new nebulizers and other new equipment. I love it. <br>
2. How close it has made me to my mom.<br>
3. CF has made me a stronger person. Easier to get through hard times that other people wouldn't be able to handle.

jamie6girl

I'm glad that you've posted this... I've thought about something similar before, but just didn't post it. Things that I like about CF(no order):<br><br><br>
1. The thrill of getting new nebulizers and other new equipment. I love it. <br>
3. CF has made me a stronger person. Easier to get through hard times that other people wouldn't be able to handle.

jamie6girl

jamie6girl

jamie6girl

wanderlost

1) I am definitely a strong person because of CF

2) The catty part of me loves listening to others moan and groan about diets and losing weight, and (usually) I don't have to worry about it

3) I have an awareness of my body that I don't think a lot of other people have - and I (usually, except when I'm choosing not to listen!) trust what my body tells me

wanderlost

2) The catty part of me loves listening to others moan and groan about diets and losing weight, and (usually) I don't have to worry about it

3) I have an awareness of my body that I don't think a lot of other people have - and I (usually, except when I'm choosing not to listen!) trust what my body tells me

wanderlost

wanderlost

wanderlost

Chaggie

1 That I can use CF as an excuse to play hockey when ever I want. Gotta
exercise you know.
2. It's given me the ability not to stress about the little things in life, and not to
fixate on the large things.
3. It's given me an appreciation for life I don't think I would have had otherwise,
and the older I get the greater the appreciation.

Chaggie

exercise you know.
2. It's given me the ability not to stress about the little things in life, and not to
3. It's given me an appreciation for life I don't think I would have had otherwise,

Chaggie

exercise you know.

Chaggie

exercise you know.

Chaggie

exercise you know.