What kind of alternative medicines do you do?

sixtyfiveroses

Hello,i wanted to know how far had the cf progressed before you took all these herbs/vitamins.Were you on oxygen 24hrs,hope to hear back im really having a hard time.carrie

sixtyfiveroses

Hello,i wanted to know how far had the cf progressed before you took all these herbs/vitamins.Were you on oxygen 24hrs,hope to hear back im really having a hard time.carrie

sixtyfiveroses

sixtyfiveroses

sixtyfiveroses

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>sixtyfiveroses</b></i>

Hello,i wanted to know how far had the cf progressed before you took all these herbs/vitamins.Were you on oxygen 24hrs,hope to hear back im really having a hard time.carrie</end quote></div>

I am not sure if you mean me, but in case you do:
I was not oxygen. I was diagnosed just before I turned 36 years old, after having been bedridden for about 3 1/2 months. I was quite ill and was on about eight prescription drugs at one time. The doctors gave me no hope of ever getting well and I spent about a year in real danger of dying. There were two stretches of about 3 months each where every time I came off antibiotics, I was back in ER within 48 hours. Then I came up with my own hypothesis for what was going on, made some lifestyle changes and my health stabilized in about two weeks. Since then, I have been gradually getting healthier. It's been a lot of hard work and I've done a lot of research. But unlike with conventional medicine, I am actually getting well.

I have never been on oxygen but the hole in my left lung has closed up. In the last three years or so, I have had decades-old scars on my arms and feet itch like new scars and visibly shrink. I think if you reduce the load of infection on the system and give it solid nutrition, the body has an amazing capacity to rebuild itself. Unfortunately, you can't just "eat right" to do that. Some department of the US government has kept track of nutritional value of food and it has dropped substantially in the last 50 years. I think spinach has about 1/6 as much iron these days as it had fifty years or so ago. This means that instead of having 1/2 cup of spinach as a serving, you would need 3 cups of spinach as a serving to get the same amount of iron. So I think you pretty much have to take supplements if you want to get well these days, whether you have CF or not. And then you have to research the supplements. For example, the most commonly available form of calcium in supplements is not very absorbable, so it's largely a waste of money.

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>sixtyfiveroses</b></i>

Hello,i wanted to know how far had the cf progressed before you took all these herbs/vitamins.Were you on oxygen 24hrs,hope to hear back im really having a hard time.carrie</end quote></div>

I was not oxygen. I was diagnosed just before I turned 36 years old, after having been bedridden for about 3 1/2 months. I was quite ill and was on about eight prescription drugs at one time. The doctors gave me no hope of ever getting well and I spent about a year in real danger of dying. There were two stretches of about 3 months each where every time I came off antibiotics, I was back in ER within 48 hours. Then I came up with my own hypothesis for what was going on, made some lifestyle changes and my health stabilized in about two weeks. Since then, I have been gradually getting healthier. It's been a lot of hard work and I've done a lot of research. But unlike with conventional medicine, I am actually getting well.

I have never been on oxygen but the hole in my left lung has closed up. In the last three years or so, I have had decades-old scars on my arms and feet itch like new scars and visibly shrink. I think if you reduce the load of infection on the system and give it solid nutrition, the body has an amazing capacity to rebuild itself. Unfortunately, you can't just "eat right" to do that. Some department of the US government has kept track of nutritional value of food and it has dropped substantially in the last 50 years. I think spinach has about 1/6 as much iron these days as it had fifty years or so ago. This means that instead of having 1/2 cup of spinach as a serving, you would need 3 cups of spinach as a serving to get the same amount of iron. So I think you pretty much have to take supplements if you want to get well these days, whether you have CF or not. And then you have to research the supplements. For example, the most commonly available form of calcium in supplements is not very absorbable, so it's largely a waste of money.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

Hello,i wanted to know how far had the cf progressed before you took all these herbs/vitamins.Were you on oxygen 24hrs,hope to hear back im really having a hard time.carrie</end quote>

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />Hello,i wanted to know how far had the cf progressed before you took all these herbs/vitamins.Were you on oxygen 24hrs,hope to hear back im really having a hard time.carrie</end quote>
<br />
<br />I am not sure if you mean me, but in case you do:
<br />I was not oxygen. I was diagnosed just before I turned 36 years old, after having been bedridden for about 3 1/2 months. I was quite ill and was on about eight prescription drugs at one time. The doctors gave me no hope of ever getting well and I spent about a year in real danger of dying. There were two stretches of about 3 months each where every time I came off antibiotics, I was back in ER within 48 hours. Then I came up with my own hypothesis for what was going on, made some lifestyle changes and my health stabilized in about two weeks. Since then, I have been gradually getting healthier. It's been a lot of hard work and I've done a lot of research. But unlike with conventional medicine, I am actually getting well.
<br />
<br />I have never been on oxygen but the hole in my left lung has closed up. In the last three years or so, I have had decades-old scars on my arms and feet itch like new scars and visibly shrink. I think if you reduce the load of infection on the system and give it solid nutrition, the body has an amazing capacity to rebuild itself. Unfortunately, you can't just "eat right" to do that. Some department of the US government has kept track of nutritional value of food and it has dropped substantially in the last 50 years. I think spinach has about 1/6 as much iron these days as it had fifty years or so ago. This means that instead of having 1/2 cup of spinach as a serving, you would need 3 cups of spinach as a serving to get the same amount of iron. So I think you pretty much have to take supplements if you want to get well these days, whether you have CF or not. And then you have to research the supplements. For example, the most commonly available form of calcium in supplements is not very absorbable, so it's largely a waste of money.

Solo

Actually, even though I have been doing quite well on alternative medicine, I've taken a break, mostly due to the financial straitjacket I'm in now- I'm trying desperately to save every dime I have. The only medications I take now are Source CF multivitamins, Creon, and insulin. I was taking Zantac for hyperacidity, and I always suspected I needed to take this because of the food I eat, so I cut out fast food, and added a few fruits, and wala, no Zantac! After next week I should be off of insulin, and be on oral medication for my diabetes. Right now, my blood sugars are low alot of the time, and it would be nice if I could do exactly what I want to do without having to second guess if my sugar is going to go low.

Solo

Actually, even though I have been doing quite well on alternative medicine, I've taken a break, mostly due to the financial straitjacket I'm in now- I'm trying desperately to save every dime I have. The only medications I take now are Source CF multivitamins, Creon, and insulin. I was taking Zantac for hyperacidity, and I always suspected I needed to take this because of the food I eat, so I cut out fast food, and added a few fruits, and wala, no Zantac! After next week I should be off of insulin, and be on oral medication for my diabetes. Right now, my blood sugars are low alot of the time, and it would be nice if I could do exactly what I want to do without having to second guess if my sugar is going to go low.

Solo

Solo

Solo

mabusincarnate

i get a 1 hour full body massage once a week. the lady does several releases on the muscles around my ribs and abs. this helps quite a bit with all the coughing. my chest looks less like a barrel when she's done but that effect doesn't last long. it seems to get the blood flowing better too. my skin is a different color for a couple days. they say a massage helps the body get rid of toxins but i don't know how true that is.

i take probiotic pills when my guts are messed up. i haven't decided if it's the probiotics or just time that fix my guts.

i used to take high doses of fish oil and flavonoids. i found some studies about inflammation. i stopped because it was expensive.

i ran these both by the doc and she supports them.

mabusincarnate

i get a 1 hour full body massage once a week. the lady does several releases on the muscles around my ribs and abs. this helps quite a bit with all the coughing. my chest looks less like a barrel when she's done but that effect doesn't last long. it seems to get the blood flowing better too. my skin is a different color for a couple days. they say a massage helps the body get rid of toxins but i don't know how true that is.

i take probiotic pills when my guts are messed up. i haven't decided if it's the probiotics or just time that fix my guts.

i used to take high doses of fish oil and flavonoids. i found some studies about inflammation. i stopped because it was expensive.

mabusincarnate

mabusincarnate

mabusincarnate

<br />
<br />i take probiotic pills when my guts are messed up. i haven't decided if it's the probiotics or just time that fix my guts.
<br />
<br />i used to take high doses of fish oil and flavonoids. i found some studies about inflammation. i stopped because it was expensive.
<br />
<br />i ran these both by the doc and she supports them.